Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.” Malcolm X quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abu Dhabi’s $11 Million Christmas Tree  (Read 817 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 16, 2010 01:54 PM »

I think the first thing I ever saw getting off the plane in Dubai was this huge christmas tree in the middle of the airport. Can't they appeal to tourism in a different way? I get the impression they think the tree is not of deep religious significance, just a cultural thing part of Christmas...perhaps it is...but really?? --J.

=====================================

Wall Street Journal

ABU DHABI–Money may not grow on trees, but in this oil-rich emirate, it’s at least hanging from the branches.

The Emirates Palace hotel–already the home of the world’s first gold ATM–has decked out a 43-foot-high Christmas tree with about $11-million worth of precious jewelry from a local jeweler.

Diamond necklace-and-earring sets, strings of pearls, and emerald and ruby bracelets–181 pieces in total–are strewn between the more mundane gold and silver balls and bows. The priciest piece is a diamond set costing 3.5 million dirhams, or just short of $1 million.

“It’s an artificial tree, but the jewelry—that’s not artificial,” the hotel’s general manager, Hans Olbertz, said at an opening event Wednesday.

No matter that the United Arab Emirates, of which Abu Dhabi is the capital, is a Muslim country. The city-state sits on the world’s sixth-largest crude oil reserves, and is one of the wealthiest places on earth by per-capita gross domestic product. It’s opened its arms to foreigners of all stripes and, along with its glitzier neighbor Dubai, has tried hard to draw well-heeled international visitors.

“It’s a very liberal country, and it’s very refined,” Olbertz said. “We’ve always had it here, and this is just another sort of PR idea.”

Emirates Palace has a track record of over-the-top stunts. It installed a gold ATM near its lobby, where customers can buy bullion. It holds a Guinness world record for serving up the most expensive shot of alcohol–at some $2,000 for a Hardy Perfection cognac.

The hotel will try to get its tree recognized by Guinness as well, as the world’s most expensively dressed. Staff cites just one other, close competitor: a Japanese tree that has also applied for the title, with decorations valued at $10.8 million. Officials at London-based Guinness World Records weren’t available for comment.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010 02:29 PM »

what a bunch of tools. 

Allah gave these people money.  and they showed the world's God's gifts to them by hanging them on a giant Christmas tree.

you couldn't make up stuff like this.

lmao

-lucid
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010 06:53 PM »

salam

Such vulgar showiness from a 'refined' country!

This makes me feel ill!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2010 08:03 PM »

when the barefoot, the naked take over the world and the slave girl gives birth to her mistress.....
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2010 01:38 PM »

To be fair, it's not like the gov't paid for it. It's a private hotel trying to drum up publicity and the jewels are on loan from local shops. What I don't get is when the gov't pays for it like all the trees/decorations at the dubai airport...

Update! Abu Dhabi hotel regrets $11M Christmas 'overload' http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/19/AR2010121900812.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: