Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: True devotion is to loose the faculty of being conscious of your devotion; for someone who identifies devotion in his devotion is a person whose devotion is in need of devotion. - as Sousi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acting haram?  (Read 1760 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Dec 25, 2010 06:49 PM »

al salam alakum,

I wear the hijab, and pray, but that is really the most of my religion. Most people think I am ultra religious, and it might be because I went through a stage wear I was always wearing jilbabs. I am not very social, so I don't go to the movies much or listen to music, or comment on this or that on facebook. So I have been labeled ultra religious, even though I am not....

I want people to leave me alone. I want to do something that is not haram, but that is out of the norm of what they believe someone who is super religious does. I was thinking of going into acting but do not know if it is haram. I know, it sounds strange. I am not an actress material; not beautiful, just simple, not slim, in fact on the overweight side, and have no experience or education in acting.

MY QUESTION IS: IS ACTING HARAM? I WAS GOING TO GO TO AN ARAB COUNTRY SO THAT I CAN ACT IN ISLAMIC MOVIES/SERIES, OR EVEN CLEAN MOVIES AND SERIES THAT DO NOT HAVE IMMORAL THINGS IN THEM. Is acting haram?

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010 01:45 AM »

Walaikum salaam,

I think there's two issues going on here. The first is that you feel you've been labeled as "ultra religious" when you feel you're not and you want to break out of it... And the second seems to be the acting thing...

OK so acting...is really difficult to say whether you could ever find something "clean and halal". As an actor you'd have to interact with guys all the time, have long hours, have to travel and audition on your own in places, dress and beautify in a certain way. Maybe you could try for journalism or something like that? The only actresses I see on Arab TV are beautiful, wear an entire mac counter of makeup, are white and thin, so I don't know if that's really something you want to aspire too...ie anorexia, cosmetic surgery, the cutthroat competition etc etc lifestyle that goes with all that.

Secondly... you know I've had this problem too my whole life... ppl think I'm too religious, not religious enough, ultra religious etc etc...whatever. At some point we just have to develop a thick skin and say 'OK I do what I do and believe what I do for Allah' NOT for anyone else, regardless of what they say. Whats the problem with someone thinking you're "ultra religious" btw? They obviously don't know you, so I don't see how "doing something crazy or haram" is going to change their minds. Again too much emphasis on other people and not any on improving yourself in good ways.

Nafs
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010 02:09 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam

So if I am not mistaken ..do people have expectations of you? or misunderstandings I guess...

I am kinda on that boat ... people think that bec I pray or something I must be perfect, so if I make a mistake it's thrown in my face. The other thing that bothers me is that some people think so highly of me, when in reality I am really a failure in every aspect ..but I am trying to see that as like a way of Allah tala giving me a chance to improve myself InshaAllah ... It's been a long time and I haven't come very far, but I guess things like these (your post) remind me not to fall off track? or to try to go towards better, InshaAllah.

Sorry I have always had difficulty putting my thoughts together.

silver
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
silver has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010 07:46 PM »

Assalamu Alaikum,

I guess this happens with everyone. If you pray regularly, wear Hijab, avoid music and stuff, people label you as very religious.  They just don't realize that this is the bare minimum required of each one of us. But the important thing is that we should not care about what people think. We should keep reminding ourselves(as the sister pointed out) that whatever we are doing is for Allah.  And we shouldn't pay heed to people because in that case, there is danger of us going astray and leaving the good deeds that we are doing. Infact, if we seriously think about it and compare ourselves with the Sahaba (RA), we are no where even near them.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010 05:53 AM »

so even if you pursue acting... how do you plan on landing a job?

wannabe actors have to push the envelope to go anywhere - EVEN in muslim countries... and if you put on your resume that you will only do "clean" roles..ummm good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: