// DOABM videos and discussion..
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOABM videos and discussion..  (Read 8198 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #25 on: Jun 11, 2012 04:00 PM »

He should kinda stay away from Islam and Muslim topics and stick to British Asian Cultural type things. Because you know why. Cuz most Muslims don't have a sense of humor. And they'd rather criticize and condemn ppls and give out fatwas. And they're going to be offended by every single thing he ever posts. Just my opinion...

=============================================================

Diary of a Badman: 'I'm not a model Muslim, but I make people think'

The comedy video series has made its creator an internet sensation. But not everyone is laughing

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/shortcuts/2012/jun/10/diary-of-a-badman

Humza Arshad is an unlikely internet star: a self-styled "troubled young man with the mentality of a seven-year-old", whose webcam monologues and sketches touch on issues from arranged marriage, to his aunty's moustache and his contempt for dhal. But his Diary of a Bad Man series, launched late in 2010, has become a worldwide hit, attracting 35 million views to his YouTube channel.

Diary of a Bad Man is a satirical take on British Asian culture, with a twist: the videos all end with a moral message. If there's anyone that deserves your "patience, kindness and respect", he says, "that one person is your mum". Indeed, Arshad's most popular clip features a rap battle between him and his mother (who wears a niqab), in which he raps: "If you wore a cape, you would look like Batman!" Other clips show him mocking his father's vanity when describing how he met his wife in Pakistan, and joking with a devout friend whom he calls "Taliban".

But not everyone is a fan. Earlier this year, Muhammad Abdul Jabbar, an Islamic activist, began posting YouTube messages warning of Arshad's supposed disrespect of Islam. "Muslims of the 21st century have taken this guy as a role model," says Jabbar. "Is it because he listens to the devil's music? Is it because he makes a mockery out of the food Allah provides for him?" Arshad admits that the opprobrium directed at his comedy has lost him some followers. Jabbar has even been joined by some former crew members of Diary of a Bad Man in speaking out against the series. In a video response, one ex-member says: "How can you expect us to sit here silently when we hear about children becoming disobedient to their parents and niqaabi and hijaabi sisters mocked by school children [as a result of the videos]?"

Arshad isn't phased by the "haters". "I call them terrorists," he jokes. "I'm not saying I'm the best Muslim role model out there. But I make people laugh and think. Every day people will come up to me, even atheists, and will say I have a different impression of Islam now."

Diary of a Bad Man series 2 is due out early next month.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2012 04:35 PM »

Agreed Sis J - don't know if you saw, but there was some internal drama...people in the production left and started saying bad things about him, he put a video out and kinda attacked them, but saying he would keep quiet....some British people on twitter I've talked to say they hate him and prefer Baba Ali much more.

Kinda regret being that interested....my own Amma said that these days, anybody can get on the internet and make such videos.

We should just stick to our Imams and the more educated ones, though I know I don't need to tell you and the rest of the Madinans that of course.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Jun 11, 2012 04:42 PM »

ws,

He's not doing anything wrong! He's just a comedian. And yeah anyone can make videos but u can see the difference between his videos and others! He's just hilarious compared to everyone else. But yeah I do get not everyone gets that type of humor and can see why some would prefer Baba Ali's brand of humor and that's fine!

And if people are looking for Islamic lectures, they should watch Islamic lectures?

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #28 on: Jun 11, 2012 05:30 PM »

Shame...have to say he's the only Muslim comedian who I've ever seen my friends actually like.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #29 on: Jun 13, 2012 07:40 PM »

Yeah, true Sis J, if we are looking for Islamic lecture, then just watch lectures...can't expect young guys who have their own plan for something to fulfill the role of the more educated speakers or to be somewhat as knowledgeable as those speakers.

Always good for laughs and to discuss things from a new angle or as in the case of Baba Ali, talk about topics that maybe even some Imams don't bring up all the time.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #30 on: Jun 14, 2012 01:58 PM »

It's a shame that Humza got caught up in internet dramaz, I think his videos are funny and rather harmless.  I liked the little 'moral of the story' hadiths he added to each vid.  I guess he couldn't take the mickey and make serious points at the same time without confusing the audience.  He's an internet sensation and connected to a young audience and I don't think he's done anything irresponsible to harm that connection. 

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: