// Have you stopped beating your wife?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "If you do not have a sound heart then you better get one"- Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you stopped beating your wife?  (Read 3506 times)
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« on: Jan 04, 2011 04:39 AM »

Dr.Usama Hasan of London has written an excellent and well-researched article on the 'wife-beating' verse in the Quran. I am enclosing his message below, and the article is provided as an attachment.

There was an excellent thread started by Sister Se7en on this topic earlier, but I'm a bit too rushed to dig it up. It may be worth it to link that to this thread as well.

as-salamu 'alaykum / Peace be upon you.

I thought I'd share this newly-finished 17-page article with you, about the "beat your wives" verse of the Qur'an.  It is available at my blog (URL below), and also attached to this email.  There is a two-page summary at the beginning.

http://unity1.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife-the-quran-hadith-and-domestic-violence/

My conclusion is simple: God and Muhammad, peace be upon him, clearly wished to ban domestic violence, as numerous hadiths indicate.  The verse was always known to be a temporary compromise, an extremely limited concession that required minimum use of violence, if at all.  "New" findings are:

1. Numerous hadiths say emphatically, "Don't beat your wives."  The Qur'an apparently says, "You may beat your wives."  This apparent difficulty must be resolved.  The verse is perhaps the most quoted by critics and enemies of Islam, the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

2. The article tries to highlight a basic and serious flaw with the way many Muslims read and teach the Qur'an, including some preachers and clerics.  Helping to correct this problem will, God-willing, open the way to dealing with numerous other controversial issues and "problematic" ayahs and hadiths.

3. Many issues around human rights and women's rights, gender-equality, dhimmitude etc. may be fruitfully-addressed along similar lines.

If you find the work of value, I would be grateful if you could help  circulate it as widely as possible, and publicise its conclusions.  I also look forward to your feedback and constructive criticism.

With love and thanks,

U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: