// Deoband school terms terrorism anti-Islamic
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Two missiles from an American jet killed them all – by my estimate, more than 20 Iraqi civilians, torn to pieces before they could be 'liberated' by the nation that destroyed their lives. Who dares, I ask myself, to call this 'collateral damage'?" - Robert Fisk
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deoband school terms terrorism anti-Islamic  (Read 1098 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Feb 26, 2008 12:07 PM »

Zia Haq, Hindustan Times
Deoband (UP), February 25, 2008

One of the most influential Muslim seminaries, with followers across the world, on Monday issued a kind of fatwa, declaring terror activities as anti-Islam. The Darul Uloom seminary in Deoband also involved top clerics at a conclave in defining terrorism in the light of the Quran and Shariah.

The Darul declared that terror acts fell under the “shirk category of sins”. According to Quran, shirk is a “sin for which there is no pardon”. Reading out the declaration on behalf of an aging Darul Uloom rector, Maulana Marghoobur Rahman, a member of Darul’s governing body said: “Killing of innocents is not compatible with Islam. It is anti-Islamic.”

The declaration said Darul seriously viewed allegations from intelligence agencies as well the Centre that madrasas were terror hubs. “Madrasas don’t teach students to kill. They teach them to lead an Islamic life, where respect for human life is supreme,” he said. The Darul declared that terror acts fell under the “shirk category of sins”. According to Quran, shirk is a “sin for which there is no pardon”. That the declaration was coming was first reported by HT on February 21.

The convenor of the hugely attended conclave, Jamiat Ulema-i-Hind general secretary Maulana Mahmood Madani, told HT that attending clerics “analysed terror activities in Islamic light” and felt that before such a declaration — which has the stature of a fatwa — could be passed, it was important to codify and define terrorism according to the Quran.

He said all top clerics, including representatives of Ajmer Sharif Dargah, All India Madarsas’ Association and All India Muslim Personal Law Board, arrived at this definition of terrorism: “Any action that targets innocents, whether by an individual or by any government and its agencies or by a private organisation anywhere in the world constitutes, according to Islam, an act of terrorism.”

This is the first time that an Islamic theological institution has institutionally defined and banned terrorism.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Redir.aspx?ID=a77d7bdd-3328-4263-86d2-415bfe5e19dd

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008 06:53 AM »

ws,

good for them ma'shallah. for some reason of course i'm sure we won't be seeing this on fox news tonight huh.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2008 11:58 AM »

Interesting article related to the post above which I posted in February 2008

____________________________________________________________________________________________
A Midwestern Muslim
Hesham A. Hassaballa

Why Islam is Winning

Though the West isn't paying attention, Muslim leaders continue to separate Islam from terrorism. Maybe it's time to wake up.

"Where are the Muslim voices of condemnation?" "Why don't we hear from the 'moderate Muslims?’"

The claim that Muslims have not condemned violence in the name of Islam continues to be made ad infinitum, despite its falsity and the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. But those who wish to smear Islam and Muslims still make waves in the public domain because the voices of moderation within the Muslim community are largely ignored by the mainstream media in the West. Is this an old argument? Definitely. But it's a true one that must persistently be brought to light as long as various right-winged pundits trot out this allegation.

Every time Osama bin Laden or his deputy Aiman Al Zawahiri makes a statement, it is reported by most major media outlets. Yet, when a highly respected Muslim religious institution makes an announcement condemning terrorism as inherently un-Islamic (or introduces a new program to combat extremist thinking), it is hardly reported.

Case in point: The Deoband Declaration.

Never heard of it? Same here--until a colleague pointed it out to me as a statement released in February to little fanfare in the West. I do not remember anything being mentioned of this declaration in the Western press. In fact, when I did a Google search of the Deoband declaration to get more background, most of the sites popping up were Indian/South Asian sites. (Though Beliefnet did cover it as a news story) It should have been big news.

The Darul Uloom at Deoband, founded in 1866, is the most influential Muslim religious school in South and Southeast Asia. It is, in fact, the second most important institute of Islamic learning after Al Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt. The statements, declarations, and fatwas that come from this institute hold big weight in the Muslim world.

At its "All India Terrorism Conference," held on February 25, 2008, the institute declared:

"[At] this All India Anti-Terrorism Conference attended by the representatives of all Muslim schools of thought organized by Rabta Madaris Islamiah Arabia (Islamic Madrassa Association), Darul Uloom Deoband condemns all kinds of violence and terrorism in the strongest possible terms."

Maulana Marghoobur Rahmad of Darul Uloom said, "There is no place for terrorism in Islam. Terrorism, killing of the innocent, is against Islam."

This statement should have a significant impact as many extremist leaders, including Mullah Omar of the Taliban, have claimed to be associated with Deoband's religious schools. With this statement, the Deoband scholars are trying to pull the rug of religious legitimacy out from under the murderous fanatics who have done so much harm in the name of Islam. They must be commended for it.

Still, this really should come as no surprise. Although I am not a scholar, all my reading of Islamic scripture and teachings have informed me that violence against the innocent is totally abhorrent in Islam. One does not need to be a scholar to fully grasp this understanding; it virtually screams out of Islamic teachings--if anyone is willing to listen. And I do wonder why it took the Deoband Institute so long to make this declaration, especially after the 9/11 atrocity was linked to so-called Muslims.

Still, the declaration has been made. But almost no one in the West--this author included-- even heard a peep about it. (A notable exception to this is Israeli columnist Bradley Burston, who made note of the declaration in his February 29th column in Ha'aretz.) This must change. Having said that, however, we must also realize that the Deoband Declaration is just another salvo in the "war on terrorism"--not the war launched by the West against Al Qaeda, but the internal "war on terrorism" that is being waged every single day within the Muslim world.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/233/story_23324_1.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: