// Prayer, Concentration, Thoughts
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer, Concentration, Thoughts  (Read 1807 times)
Anonymous
« on: Jan 19, 2011 06:01 PM »

Asalaam alaykum =)

I have been struggling with prayer for months now, and I seem to have lost it.

It started with making more than wudhu each time I went to pray because I'd doubt my wudhu. After that I don't know if there was a gap or not between the next issue...but while I'd be praying, Id forget how many rakats I had done, and I'd do the same prayer over and over again...or I'd forget something else. Since then the problem has been with sajda, I forget how many sajda s I made for a rakat, and start again. I have talked to close friends/wise ppl and they have told me techniques like for example for sajda I try to make one dua for the first sajda, and another dua for the second sajda. Sometimes if I don't make the duas while in sajda, I get confused as well...but I feel like it has improved a little, but I have another issue... I keep thinking really vulgar / blasphemous things. Last night I tried a trick where while I am reciting..tried thikning of the meaning as well ..I was reminding myself of the a good attribute of Allah tala and how shayataans bad .. but even on top of those three layers, I once in awhile would have something bad pop into my head .. I dont know how to get rid of these thoughts. I don't know whats going on, and I just feel horrible to even have such nasty things come into my mind.

I really don't know what to do. Sad

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011 07:20 PM »

assalamualaikum

you are probably depressed.  you might not even know about it, but you are probably not very happy at the moment.

people lose their concentration when they are not happy, or preoccupied with other other things.

if they start thinking bad thoughts and are losing their concentration, its probably because they are not getting what they expect from Allah.

you need to refresh your mind.  you need to fill yourself with hope. hope that Allah will save you, protect you and help you.

people will tell you to become more religious, read more quran, pray more, etc...

but really, you need go on a vacation.  do something fun.  you need a break. 

do you suffer from stress?  are you a stay-at-home mom?  if so you, need to get out a bit more.

Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011 08:21 AM »

WalaykumAsalaam

To think that I might be depressed / stressed makes me feel very ungrateful. I am going through some tough times, but not as much as the rest of the world ..  and honestly all the issues that I am facing are really of my own fault lol.

I am not a stay at home mom, but I've pretty much taken on THAT role (minus marriage and kids of my own) since I have become unemployed... which isn't great esp when you have young teenagers acting rudely, and saying nasty things (of course not meaning it but due to ignorance such things are said). I don't mind helping out, but everyones been on my case about why I have basically failed in basic aspects of my life... and lately I have just become insane.

I need to do something immediately because I've become this awful person with awful thoughts. =(

A vacation sounds amazing, but I don't have the resources for such a thing, plus imagine someone unemployed going on vacation... that'd cause some nice talk (not that I care, but it wouldn't be nice to listen to lol).

Is there anyone dua or something I can say so my mind can clear up /focus ?
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2011 03:02 PM »

Waliakum salam

It can be very difficult to offer advice without knowledge of the underlying causes of these symptoms.

It obviously can also be very difficult to ask for help through patience and prayer when having patience and doing prayer is difficult in itself!!!

Perhaps one thing to really contemplate on during this time is the Hereafter and how you will look back at this particular episode in your life?

Inshallah we will make dua for you.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 12:22 PM »

It sounds like you are experiencing waswas, which is the whisperings from the shaytan.  Do you know what the invalidators of wuduu’ are?  If not, you need to learn them so that you can check whether you have broken your wuduu'.  By knowing what the invalidators are, you are more able to ignore the whisperings because then you will know for sure whether you have broken your wuduu’ or not. 

In regards to forgetting something in the prayer, some scholars have said that you go with the least that you remember.  So say you’re not sure if you are now in your second or third rak^ah, you assume you have done two, and continue from there. 

To tell whether one is truly having bad blasphemous thoughts or whether again they are whisperings from the shaytan, the scholars said that if one’s heart rejects the thought and hates it, then this is from the shaytan.  Whereas if one’s heart doubts or accepts the belief, then the person has blasphemed. 

Waswas is very common and the scholars have said that one should busy themselves with other things to so as to occupy their mind so they do not waste time by paying attention to the whisperings.  You need to find someone knowledgeable in your area who can also teach you du^aas to protect yourself from the waswas, and who can also check that you are pronouncing the du^aas correctly.

I am sure you have wasted much time and energy dealing with this so I hope you can start to resolve things.  It must be driving you crazy constantly doubting yourself and then panicking not knowing how to differentiate between whether you have really blasphemed or not.  Sometimes the shaytan attacks the people who need to put more effort into learning the religion.  You’ll only become stronger and better at arming/protecting yourself through learning.  Why?  Because knowledge is our weapon against the shaytan. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: