// Egypt braced for 'day of revolution' protests
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically... Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt braced for 'day of revolution' protests  (Read 9497 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 25, 2011 07:18 PM »

Happy if this brings change for the good. Hope there is no violence though Sad Worried about everyone over there. InshaAllah stay safe!!

=============================

Egypt braced for 'day of revolution' protests

Youth activists, Islamists, workers and football fans to hold rallies and marches against Mubarak government

Guardian

Egypt's authoritarian government is bracing itself for one of the biggest opposition demonstrations in recent years tomorrow, as thousands of protesters prepare to take to the streets demanding political reform.

An unlikely alliance of youth activists, political Islamists, industrial workers and hardcore football fans have pledged to join a nationwide "day of revolution" on a national holiday to celebrate the achievements of the police force.

With public sentiment against state security forces at an unprecedented level following a series of high-profile police brutality cases and the torture of anti-government activists, protest organisers are hoping that a large number of Egyptians will be emboldened to attend rallies, marches and flash mobs across the country in a sustained effort to force concessions from an increasingly unpopular ruling elite.

In a move that suggests the uprising in Tunisia may be spreading to other parts of the Arab world, Tunisian activists announced they would be holding their own protests in solidarity with their Egyptian counterparts, while many Egyptians plan to wave Tunisian flags. Parallel protests are also scheduled to take place outside the Egyptian embassies in London and Washington.

Demonstrators are calling for the sacking of the country's interior minister, the cancelling of Egypt's perpetual emergency law, which suspends basic civil liberties, and a new term limit on the presidency that would bring to an end the 30-year rule of President Hosni Mubarak, one of the Middle East's most entrenched dictators.

State security officials have branded the protests illegal, and said that those taking part will be dealt with "strictly".

"I'm answering a call that began online, a call to stand up against police brutality on the day the regime wants us to celebrate their so-called achievements," said Salma Said, a 25-year-old activist and blogger who plans to protest in Cairo.

"Of course demonstrating against police brutality means demonstrating against Mubarak himself and his whole regime, because they are the ones who created this system. Momentum is gathering really, really fast; friends I haven't spoken to in years have been ringing me up, promising to come down."

Tomorrow's events, dubbed a "day of revolution against torture, corruption, poverty and unemployment" by protest leaders, were initiated by two dissident movements, both based online. One is dedicated to the memory of Khaled Said, an Alexandrian man beaten to death by police last year, while the other, "6 April", is a youth group named after the date of an uprising two years ago in the Nile delta town of El-Mahalla El-Kubra, in which three people were killed by police.

After initially dismissing the protests, the Muslim Brotherhood - Egypt's largest organised opposition force - has now said it will back the demonstrations symbolically, although it has not called on its supporters to take to the streets. Strikes are expected by workers in several parts of the country, including Mahalla, and a number of Egypt's traditional opposition parties and prominent public figures have pledged support.

Mohamed Adel, a spokesman for 6 April, said the broad range of participants distinguished tomorrow's action from previous protests. "It will be the start of something big," he told the Egyptian news outlet Al-Masry Al-Youm.

In a sign of how seriously the Mubarak regime is taking any challenge to its authority following the downfall of Tunisia's president Ben Ali, counter-protests are being organised under the banner of "Mubarak: Egypt's security". Organisers say they want to express their rejection of the "destruction of state institutions" by the opposition, raising fears of violent clashes on the ground.

"Regardless of how many people turn up, these protests will be highly significant," said Nabil Abdel Fattah, a political analyst at the semi-official Al-Ahram Research Centre. "Those confronting the regime on Tuesday will be the sons and daughters of virtual activism - a new generation that has finally found something around which they can unite and rally.They are the product of a government that has never offered them any ideological vision to believe in, and now they have themselves become a symbol of contemporary Egypt."
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011 10:39 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Just saw the latest pictures from the BBC and it does seem there there is a real groundswell of support for this day of protest with 3 people reportedly dead.

I did read a piece earlier this week which said that the average Egyptian was less educated and not as technologically savvy as their Tunisian counterparts and as a result there would not be the scale of protest and outcome as in Tunisia.

As we have seen with the weather this winter, however, sometimes we do get real extremes!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011 12:08 AM »

The pictures are amazing: http://english.aljazeera.net/photo_galleries/africa/2011125192646189116.html

I'm happy that they are protesting, but am saddened by the deaths. I hope good comes of it throughout the Muslim world. The leaders (dictators) should know they can't do whatever they want anymore.

Just heard from se7en and they seem to be doing well, hope we can get a firsthand view of what's going on there..

wsalam
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011 08:48 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I feel that the protests were allowed to take place as a way of letting the citizens get out their passion, especially after Tunisia -- this level of protest is usually shut down before it even leaves the ground, but in this case everyone knew when and where they were going to take place, and nothing was done to stop them from occurring, which is unusual.  And it wasn't like chaos on the streets and people protesting everywhere (they were in specified areas), which I think would be more reflective of a true state change which is something out of control in that way.  It seems to me that they allowed people to protest, but in an extremely contained way, with a very heavy police presence on hand, knowing that once they did things can go back to business as usual the next day.  (Sorry for the cynical analysis!)

I obviously feel a little hesitant to share all my thoughts considering where I am, but as someone said to me, people who are in certain positions, and have been there for many decades, become very adept at handling anything that comes there way.  They know when to take a heavy handed approach and when to keep it light, to stay in their position.  Basically, if public discontent were enough in itself to remove them from their position, that would have happened a long time ago.  IMO the only thing that would cause that kind of change is outside influence (from those who have influen$e) or when they inevitably enter their grave.

I have to say though that I have started to reflect more seriously on those texts that say an oppressive leader is better than rebellion.  I know that while everyone wants justice I would not want to see the type of bloodshed and chaos that usually comes with that type of change.

May Allah protect us and keep us safe.

Allahu a'lam
salaam,
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011 11:49 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Over 700 people arrested today in the demonstrations and there are calls for mass protests after Jumah this Friday.

Indeed there was a suggestion that the authorities would cancel Friday prayers this week so that people could not gather and demonstrate.

From a personal perspective I can still remember the assassination of Anwar Sadat (Mubarak's predecessor) such was the visual impact of the footage on a young boy watching the news at the time.

Egypt as a country should be much more of a success story than it currently is but, coupled with the recent bombing in Alexandria, it seems it may be poised for a period of unrest.

Ameen to the duas.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011 02:49 AM »

As Salaamu 'alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I'm so glad you and your fam are safe se7en! I definitely think the chaos of rebellion is so unpredictable. So I hope things stay safe for your studies.

t
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011 02:28 PM »

Salam alaikum:)

Glad you are all safe 7:)

I must say, I have been following this, and I think 7 is right.  its the same all over the arab&islamic world, I guess.  Millions of people who think and believe one way, ruled by a handful of dictators who have their own agenda, and unfortunately the power, $$$ and influence to stay where they are and do as they please.

I know from Jordan and Syria that people cant even say what they want to (against the leaders) in public...and found the same to be true in Egypt...and I'm sure its the same elsewhere.

May Allah swt help and guide us, so that we can be worthy of better, more just leadership. ameen.

Salam
S.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011 03:01 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Protests are continuing with more set for Friday after Jumu'ah with endorsement by the MB, which will most likely be quite intense.   

We will see what happens....

Please keep everyone here in your duaas.

salaam,
saleem
Bro

saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011 06:25 PM »

I read a long time ago somewhere that tyrannies do not collapse in periods of terror - only when the terror is relaxed. Mr Mubarak is flying his aircraft very well. nothing will change....

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011 06:05 AM »

Looks like things are gettin out of control real fast!!!

From a bro: "It seems the long-anticipated large-scale crackdown ...began at 3am Egyptian time: they are entering homes in the middle of the night and arbitrarily arresting scores of opposition leaders including members of the Ikhwan-ul-Muslimeen (Muslim Brotherhood) and picking up others off the streets. 10 dead so far, including three police officers and the 1,000 arrested on Tues, Wed and Thurs have still not been released yet. The riots have now spread to a dozen cities all across Egypt!

Yaum-ul-Jummah (Fri) will be the Day of Reckoning for this regime so they have washed major roads with gasoline & kerosene (to set them alight to prevent marches/rallies) and placed heavily-armed snipers on rooftops all over central Cairo. All media outlets have been shut down in preparation for the onslaught. Please make dua that it will not be a bloody massacre akin to what happened in Tiananmen Square in 1989. Up to 1 million Egyptians are expected to rally all across the country tomorrow (Friday) and no one but Allah (swt) knows what will be the eventual outcome. Keep them in your duas! In Solidarity!"

The US embassy just advised ppl not to go near the mosques on jumah. That is not good. We know Obama has said the US will not "choose sides". How ridiculous. I wonder if Mubarak told the embassy to warn Americans because they will do something there!

Duaas for the people of Egypt iA.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2011 07:35 PM »

SubhanAllah look at this picture from twitter and video! May Allah accept their fight against an unjust ruler. Umar ibn al Khattab said "You enslave people when their mothers have given birth to them free".

Egyptian Revolution Jan 25th 2011 - Take what's Yours!

28th Jan. 2011 - Storyful - Egypt Cairo uprising protest video - Mohamed Ibrahim Elmasry

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29unrest.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011 09:31 PM »

OK, I can't resist commenting - I actually watched Al Jazeera's live stream when I got home today, around 2 pm local time, and we are one hour behind Cairo - so it was at the height of the tension. I watched as reporter Ayman Mohyldin. and another female reporter who were reporting live from the balcony of the Hilton and as they watched tear gas being launched at men who were below them - who were even throwing the tear gas canisters back towards the police! What brave people!

I have to admit, I love that this is happening - I've never liked Mubarak, given his policies in the region (I think you know what I'm referring to here). Plus, I just love history in general and we are living in interesting times, that is for sure.

I have a dear Muslim brother who is studying here (non-medical), but lives in Cairo - his family is fine alhamdulillah, but of course, they are just worried about what will happen next. I've only known him the last two years or so, but we always talk up politics and other related issues when we chat, so I immediately thought of him when all this started going down.

Pretty amazing stuff - I've seen that they had a internet blackout, which people are saying hasn't been done, in that all sources were shut down just 30 min after midnight last night. The reason being that there are only a few companies that control traffic in and out of Egypt, so FB and Twitter were out.

Imam Webb is there right now and of course, his last tweet was yesterday asking for dua's - I wonder what he thinks about all this and he will have some stories to tell I'm sure when he gets out of there.

Thanks for the videos and pictures Sis J - I had heard that people did Salah despite the gunfire, etc, so that was the picture I was looking for - beautifully awesome! Just love the passion they are showing - who knows what will happen and either way, it's a fragile situation and I'm guessing things aren't going to get better anytime soon, in terms of what the people want - especially if Mubarak does end up leaving (I love how some protesters were chanting "Saudia Arabia is waiting for you!"  - at least that is what I read somewhere).

I hope Sis 7 and family is alright - should be an interesting next few days indeed.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011 10:25 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

Oppression is such an ugly trait and yet there are those who continue to practise it.

The ability to use the authority given to you by Allah for malicious purposes is indeed something to despise and probably one of the reasons why the duas of the oppressed are always accepted.

Whether these current protests can maintain their momentum will have to be seen.

Those who remember the Communist downfall will recall how night after night people came out on to the streets until there was no going back.

Allah knows best what will happen here.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2011 10:40 PM »

Just heard Mubarak's live speech on al jazeerah english!!! He just does not get it. Disgusting. Just spouted the same lies we heard before.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

love this picture: all the people want is peaceful change. what a shame...
The most subversive protest of all: An Egyptian protestor kisses a riot police officer.

http://theatlantic.tumblr.com/post/2979347100/canisfamiliaris-the-most-subversive-protest-of

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2011 12:13 AM »

Salam,

Everyone please make dua for se7en and her family. They are scheduled to leave Egypt on Tuesday inshaAllah. Everything is all unsure though if their flight is even running, the airport is massively backed up with 3000+ ppl stranded there. It's all just so crazy. Please make dua that they make it out safely and for all the other students of knowledge who have to leave. Pray for peaceful resolution there and for the people of Egypt. InshaAllah they will be able to return back soon.

Jazaks,

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011 04:55 AM »

salams,

this is seriously incredible. you will never see courage like this again.

the fight over the nile bridge... 

MUST SEE!!!Egypt Revolution 2011 Demonstrators Vs police Fighting
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011 11:55 AM »

Salam alaikum

May Allah swt make it easy for everyone there. And grant everyone leaving a safe and trouble-free journey home.

7 and her family, and all the students are in our duaas.  Along with those who cannot leave...

Salam
S.

p.s My imaan just got such a boost from watching all those brothers pray while everything was being done to disperse them...they stayed strong in the face of harassment and danger...may Allah swt keep them all strong, ameen.  I drove over that same bridge several times just a month ago..subhanAllah...
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011 03:20 PM »

ws,

Great continuing coverage by Robert Fisk who's there on the ground: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-egypt-death-throes-of-a-dictatorship-2198444.html

Also check out this great album of pics of the Women of Egypt protesters!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=268523&id=586357675&fbid=493689677675

A heartfelt message
Waseem Wagdi, Egyptian protester. Egyptian Embassy, London. 29.1.11

Live streaming of Aljazeera English for news and updates live: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

also this is the "We are all Khaled Said" group that's been updating from Egypt

http://www.facebook.com/elshaheeed.co.uk
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011 06:22 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Nearly a week since the demonstrations began and there seems no let up in the calls for Mubarak to go.

With a General Strike called for and requests for all people to come out into the streets, tomorrow could well be a pivotal day in this revolution.

Our thoughts and duas are with the people over there.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2011 05:34 AM »

wsalam,

Tomorrow is the day. Waiting in fear and hope...

Interview with anti-government protester at Tahir Square

See cute kitty at the end...
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2011 11:14 AM »

Sis Jannah, I just had to point out that there was bollywood music playing at some point in that last video..seems there are Indians there after all Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011 11:06 PM »

salams,

Alhamdulillah se7en and family have reached Qatar in safety. What horrible news that Mubarak refuses to step down. I'm so disappointed for the Egyptian people. Right now he's sending his supporters on motorcycles through the squares, gunshots... more violence I'm sure. How can one man have so much arrogance. Why doesn't he just step down??!!!
saleem
Bro

saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2011 12:27 AM »

what is the arabic for 'square' in tahrir square? like its supposed to be a town square....

As for mubarak well eid mubarak is good its just the hosni people seem to dislike ...... 

i am bit of a pessimist.... well the brits fought a world war on egypt (against italy and germany 1940-43) after having given it 'independence' in 1922 and all this time Wafd party was engaged party politics....so I dont think things will change just the faces and facade....
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2011 01:06 AM »

ws,

they usually use the word "maydan"  like Maydan Tahrir would be Tahrir Square....

ميدان التحرير‎, trans. Liberation Square
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2011 10:00 AM »

Salaam all. Looks like he's digging his heels in.

--
Egyptian military calls for end to demonstrations

CAIRO – The Egyptian military is calling for an end to more than a week of demonstrations demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down immediately after nearly 30 years in power.

A military spokesman says: "Your message has arrived, your demands became known ... you are capable of bringing normal life to Egypt."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CAIRO (AP) — Thousands of people marched in support of President Hosni Mubarak Wednesday morning, hours after he made a defiant speech promising to serve out the last months of his term and "die on Egyptian soil."

The small rallies appeared to be the start of an attempt by Mubarak's 3 million-member National Democratic Party to retake momentum from protesters demanding Egypt's nearly 30-year ruler step down immediately.

The army separated about 20 Mubarak supporters from about 1,000 pro-democracy protesters in Tahrir Square, but the Mediterranean city of Alexandria saw clashes erupt between several hundred protesters and government supporters early Wednesday, Al-Jazeera television footage showed.

Several thousand people outside Mustafa Mahmoud Mosque in the upper-class neighborhood of Mohandiseen waved Egyptian flags and carried a large printed banner with Mubarak's face. Many passing cars honked in apparent support.

Police officers surrounded the area and directed traffic.

The April 6 group, young pro-democracy activists who have used social media and mobile phones to draw people to Tahrir Square, said Mubarak's speech would not satisfy them.

"We will continue our protests in Tahrir Square and around the country until the people's demands are met,'" the group said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. "The people want ouster of the regime."

In his 10-minute televised address to the nation Tuesday night, the 82-year-old Mubarak appeared somber but spoke firmly and without an air of defeat. He insisted that even if the protests demanding his ouster had never broken out, he would not have sought a sixth term in September.

He said he would serve out the rest of his term working "to accomplish the necessary steps for the peaceful transfer of power." He said he will carry out amendments to rules on presidential elections.

Mubarak, a former air force commander, vowed not to flee the country.

"This is my dear homeland," he said. "I have lived in it, I fought for it and defended its soil, sovereignty and interests. On its soil I will die. History will judge me and all of us."

The step came after heavy pressure from his top ally, the United States. Soon after Mubarak's address, President Barack Obama said at the White House that he had spoken with Mubarak and "he recognizes that the status quo is not sustainable and a change must take place." Obama said he told Mubarak that an orderly transition must be meaningful and peaceful, must begin now and must include opposition parties.

Earlier, a visiting Obama envoy — former ambassador to Egypt Frank Wisner, who is a friend of the Egyptian president — met with Mubarak and made clear to him that it is the U.S. "view that his tenure as president is coming to a close," according to an administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of the ongoing diplomacy.

The United States has been struggling to find a way to ease Mubarak out of office while maintaining stability in Egypt, a key ally in the Mideast that has a 30-year-old peace treaty with Israel and has been a bulwark against Islamic militancy.

Mubarak would be the second Arab leader pushed from office by a popular uprising in the history of the modern Middle East, following the ouster last month of the president of Tunisia — another North African nation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: