// Advice on School Subject needed!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Watermelon it's a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face. - Enrico Caruso
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on School Subject needed!  (Read 711 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: May 27, 2011 04:25 PM »

Salam all,

I'm a teen who's been following this forum for quite a while now, and so would like to ask for a little advice concerning a problem.

I follow the Cambridge IGCSE course, which you do over two years (Ten and Eleven). I've completed Year Ten and realized that I have a lot of revision to do over the holidays so that I can get good grades and keep up with the time allocated for us to do the coursework.

I take Chemistry afterschool, a special arrangement not normally allowed. It's just one hour a week with the teacher, and I found it difficult to do, especially as I only started doing the subject late in the year and had to catch up. You can imagine the world of difference between studying a subject like Chemistry mainly on your own and doing it casually with lots of experiments etc in a classroom.

My classmates (who take chemistry normally in school time) are all going to go to tutors and take courses over the holidays to study Chemistry, as it's a difficult subject, and because to our horror we realized that this year, when we are supposed to do about 60% of the coursework we have only covered 30%. I am VERY worried upon realizing this.

How on earth am I going to catch up on my own? I'm going on holiday for a month and a half and was planning to revise my other subjects, but this really seems like too much. And I think that I will be in major trouble when I go back to school as my previous teacher is leaving and the new one may not be good enough to study with or may not want to do this arrangement.

So do you think that I should read/study this subject on my own and just struggle through it during the year? Remember this is an extra subject that I am taking on top of the rest. Or should I tell my parents that I'd really rather not take the IGCSE exam for the Chemistry and merely study the coursework and take periodic assessments? Personally I think that the latter sounds like a good idea, as I know that I already have enough on my plate without trying to go for an extra exam, and I may just end up doing terribly in my subjects and exam because I'm doing too much (a la Hermione from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)

Your advice is very much appreciated, jazakumallahukhairan!

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011 07:00 PM »

If you're taking it as an extra course and if dropping it won't affect your final grade, then I would suggest that you drop it. My advice on extra courses would be to take those which you would enjoy studying(Math in my case) and not those which prove to be an ordeal for you.

As a side question : Why did you take an extra course in the first place? And why Chemistry? Why not something else?
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011 09:49 AM »

Aslaamu Alaikum bro

In addition to the above, will taking this extra Chemistry affect your normal grades and, if so, is that something really worth doing?

We can all relate to pressure at school but if it's reached a stage where you are really struggling with it all, you need to perhaps sit down with your parents and tell them what's happening and if the benefits of this extra subject will outweigh the cost?

InshaAllah, you'll come to the right decision.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: