// Homemade hummus from a can?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Sincerity: The Prophet said: 'Actions will be judged according to their intentions.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade hummus from a can?  (Read 2137 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 14, 2011 03:25 AM »

I have a real craving for some yummy hummus. The last one I ate from was store-bought in plastic and it was actually really good. But it was $6!!! So I was going to try at home but have no idea how they make it? Do they cook it first or just use raw chickpeas? I miss the yummy creamy fresh churned hummus they used to have in shaam Sad

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011 03:42 AM »

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/hummusbitahini.htm

I am not a great cook but I hope this helps Smiley
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011 04:06 AM »

I ran a Middle Eastern restaurant for a while and the recipe that Brother akhan is similar to what we used.  However, I would NOT use the liquid from the can; unless you get the organic chick peas, it's going to have preservatives in it (so just use water).  I would always drain the peas and rinse them off VERY well.  Also, you might want to increase the amount of tahini to about 1/4 cup.  And take it easy on the lemon juice; it has a tendency to take over.  I would also add a shake of black pepper and a pinch of allspice.

Mix everything in a food processor and you're good to go!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011 05:57 AM »

Salams,

Hmmm sounds easy enough, but we don't have any Tahini Sad So that means if I have to buy tahini i might as well buy the pre-made stuff!!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011 11:59 AM »

No Tahini?
no problem..just grind sesame seeds with a little water (depending on the kind of consistency you want) and you're good to go Smiley good luck!
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011 03:15 PM »

salam

costco sells yummy hummus, and it is affordable.

the brand name is fontaine sante.

ws
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011 06:56 PM »

Here's the recipe I use, and have perfected over the past 13 years or so...

16 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 garlic buds
0.5 teaspoon salt
0.75 cup water
1/4 teaspoon crushed zeera (cumin seeds)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 lemon's juice  (I like the taste lemon add.. it makes it way better than the stuff from the market. I use a fresh lemon -- please don't use the useless presqueezed juices. Remove the seeds!)

Take the can of chickpeas, (open it) and drain the water. I also wash it to remove the sodium etc.
Heat the drained chickpeas in a microwave for one minute

Put all this in a blender.. I use a smoothie maker for this on ice setting as I like my hummous smooth. Put in around half the chickpeas, and once that has been processed, add the remaining half.

If you feel adventurous, add sun dried tomates in boiling water (same 0.75 cup mentioned above).. it adds a nice zing to it (do this the next time around though).

Note: heating the chickpeas mitigates the need for oil, and it breaks down more easily.

Then take the Tahini (I use three table spoon), and place it into a microwaveable bowl. Make sure that you have both the solid and liquid parts of the Tahini (the solids are usually stuck to the bottom of the container).

Heat the Tahini for 45 seconds in the bowl in the microwave. Stir it to make the solid parts dissolve.

Pour this into the blender/food processor and run until you have Hummous!

Guaranteed to be finger licking good (or your money back).

Like with rice, you can add spices to change the flavour (try curry powder, dill weed, etc).

This also tastes great with a garnishing of olive oil (use a little!) and crushed red chilli paste.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2011 04:28 AM »

OK ppl I bought TAHINI !!!! yayyy ok i shall make some soon iA maybe i'll take a pic. thanx for the top secret recipes!!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2011 10:42 PM »

ws,

ok i started making this!! the first time i followed br skhansj's recipe to the letter but i don't know our blender is from 1972 and i don't think it did everything right esp the real garlic. it was ok and everyone ate it. the second time what i did is start with chick peas and a little water and then i would add a little of each ingredient at a time and taste it. (also used pre-crushed garlic) and if i felt like it needed more i added a little more. and i left the blender on for like 5 minutes at the end! and added some red pepper flakes on top and ate them with crackers and they were great! jazaks!
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011 05:14 AM »

Salaam Alaykum Sr. Jannah,
Hope it turned out amazing. Gald to see that someone is using the recipe!

Cooking, like other nafsy activities, is best with a dash of creativity and originality. No recipe is meant to be followed to the T....

I think I'll make a batch tomorrow... it makes me quite popular at home when I do.

Hope I'll get the time...

I'm late.. I'm late...
No time to say hello, goodbye...
I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!!!!

[Yes, I do feel like a rabbit right now!]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: