// Egypt revolution unfinished, Qaradawi tells Tahrir masses
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Does money upset the hearts of learned men? He answered, "men whose hearts are changed by money are not learned" - abu Hamid al Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egypt revolution unfinished, Qaradawi tells Tahrir masses  (Read 494 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 18, 2011 08:14 PM »

So happy for him and the people of Egypt!!!

I think it's disgusting how Islamophobes have worked to brand Qaradawi, Tariq Ramadan, Yusuf Islam and every other famous Muslim as terrorists. Their lies need to stop. Qaradawi is as moderate, mainstream and accepted as they come.

================================

Egypt revolution unfinished, Qaradawi tells Tahrir masses

Leading Islamic theologian Yusuf al-Qaradawi returned from Qatar to rally hundreds of thousands at Tahrir Square today in his first public speech since 1981.

Qaradawi called for the immediate release of the thousands of political prisoners that remain in Egypt’s jails, an end to the feared state security services, the dissolution of the cabinet of Mubarak loyalists who have been retained by the country’s military junta, and an end to the economic blockade of the Gaza Strip.

After his speech, he read from the Quran, his voice cracking as he reached a verse on the fate of tyrants. Then the thousands settled into prayer amid a pin-drop silence before breaking out into shouts of “no to Hosni, no to his regime, no to his supporters.”

Protest movement still strong enough to pressure military

The throngs at Tahrir Square today for what’s been billed as a celebration of the revolution and a day of mourning for the hundreds killed in protests, demonstrated that Egypt’s protest movement still holds the power to generate mass demonstrations and pressure the military.

In recent days there have been emerging splits among the activists and protesters who drove Mubarak from power one week ago. Discussions with the broad coalition of activists who helped kick-start the uprising have revealed plans for at least five political parties with different purposes and ideological visions. The Muslim Brotherhood, too, is likely to start at least one party of its own.

There have been some signs of the military council now in charge of Egypt, led by Defense Minister Mohamed Tantawi, reaching out to the Brotherhood. The head of a constitutional reform committee that Mr. Tantawi appointed two days ago is ideologically simpatico with the Brothers.

But the senior military leadership is also deeply suspicious of political Islam. In a possible sign of their ambivalence about the role the Brothers might play in coming days, state television did not carry Qaradawi’s speech and the stirring events at Tahrir Square.

Scope of constitutional reform in doubt

And whether democratic demands are going to be met remains an open question. The constitutional reform committee answers to the generals, and was appointed with no obvious input from the groups that pushed Mubarak from power.

Wael Nawara, a spokesman for the Ghad Party – a small opposition group that was involved in the democracy protests – says he’s worried that constitutional changes are being drawn up without any real input from Egyptian civil society and opposition politicians.

“There were people who worked against all odds, carrying the flag of change, for seven years or so,” Mr. Nawara says. “Trying to bypass those groups and starting to talk to individuals, however well intentioned, would be a huge mistake.”

Qaradawi has often been a controversial figure in the West – he was banned from traveling to the US because of his support for attacks on US troops in Iraq, for instance – but is very much in the Sunni Islamic mainstream.

When former Monitor reporter Jill Carroll was kidnapped in Iraq in 2006, Qaradawi issued a religious ruling reiterating his position that the kidnapping and murder of civilians is sinful and called for her immediate release.

CS Monitor
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2011 08:19 PM »

Twitter highlights...

read from bottom up

# Egyptians on Meydan Tahrir will pray the Salat El Ghaib (prayers for the absent) for "All those who died during Mubarak's 30 year rule"     about 9 hours ago  via web

#

Al Qaradawi delivered the last speech in Egypt in 1981 after the assasination of Sadat & has been banned ever since. Via @AlArabiya_Eng about 9 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi says that there are three million people. They will pray both noon & afternoon prayers. Amazing scenes. Will take a page grab. about 9 hours ago via web

#

Awesome aerial view of Meydan Tahrir now. Easily over a million people. Time in Egypt 12:50pm http://yfrog.com/h225249537j about 9 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

#

Qaradawi: To the brave Egyptian army, I ask you to open Rafah border crossing so that Gazans can get the supplies they need. about 9 hours ago via web

#

Emotions surge: Qaradawi: I pray that God as he has let me see a free Egypt to see a free Quds (Jerusalem), so I can deliver a speech there. about 9 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: to Arab leaders, don't lie to your people & trick them, respect their minds. This is my message to Arab leaders. about 9 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: One final word to Arab leaders, don't fight history, you can't delay the day when it starts. The Arab world has changed. about 9 hours ago via web

#

There are more people praying together in Cairo's Meydan Tahrir than in Mecca today. about 9 hours ago via web

#

Al Qaradawi has probably never & will probably never again deliver a sermon to two million people. This is the highlight of his 85-year life about 9 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: It is the right of all Egyptians to have all their rights, but we must also have patience so our brothers in the Army can work about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: The army must transfer power to a civil rule as soon as possible. Away from this gov who sent camels & ran over protesters in cars about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I ask the army to free immediately all political prisoners who lived for years in jail due to emergency laws & military courts about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I ask the army to free us from the cabinet that Mubarak has appointed who is responsible for so many crimes. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: Tareq El Bishri (who is responsible for the constitutional amendments) is great intellect, fair and wise (+ tons of praise) about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: In my first sermon after his (Mubarak's) terrible speech, I said the Egyptian army won't be less patriotic than the Tunisian army. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I salute the Egyptian army, who are the protectors of the Egyptian people & stood by them, I always believed so. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I call on Copts today who have protected Muslims & stood by them to prostrate with them as a thanks to God. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I was in Cairo & a Christian Egyptian came to me to thank me for pulling the people together. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: To all Egyptians, the Quran mentions Egypt five times, it is the only country, it says "Enter Egypt by God's will in security" about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: Don't let anyone steal the revolution from you. Those hypocrites who will wear a new face that suits them. Guard your revolution about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: I wish to kiss the hands of everyone of you for what you have done. The revolution hasn't ended, it is continuing to build Egypt about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: You had patience & that is why you succeeded. Over state security, snipers, torture & camel riders. I congratulate you all. about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: There were the poor & the rich, Muslims & Christians, men & women all were one working to free Egypt from tyranny & evil about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi now in Meydan Tahrir. Sat on chair. Time in Egypt 12:26pm http://yfrog.com/h66znej about 10 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

#

Qaradawi: It was essential to triumph against that tyrant, against that Pharaoh who believed he had to give you permission to rise up about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: This revolution wasn't just about triumphing against Mubarak but was a triumph against corruption and graft, & good over evil about 10 hours ago via web

#

Qaradawi: My sons & daughters, children of Egypt. Usually I say My fellow Muslims, today I say my fellow Copts & Muslims. It's a day for all

Now Al Qaradawi's sermon in Meydan Tahrir. WIll tweet highlights
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: