// Band Baaja Barat
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Whenever a tedious person sits next to me, the side on which he is sitting feels lower down than the other side of me." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band Baaja Barat  (Read 3009 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Feb 24, 2011 11:17 PM »

A.A.

BBB - Probably the best indian movie in the quarter it was released i.e. Q4 2010.

Liked each bit of it!

"Binnis" - awesome...

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2011 11:54 PM »

*spoilers**spoilers**spoilers**spoilers**spoilers**spoilers*

Really dude? Hmmm no qualms about the girl sleeping with the guy without marriage? Thought that was a little much...whatsup with that in an Indian movie? thought they had some morals and such, they don't even allow kissing!

and i thought the girl was a little grating...

A better ending would have been...

the guy realizes he loves and wants her back and she says 'oh too late i'm just fine without u, i've found someone else, cccccyaaa'
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011 12:03 AM »

I also dont endorse singing, dancing, midriffs and all... ya know Wink

My review was totally... umm... liberal? Or grading it without religious considerations.

Ending was perfect! They stretched the fighting over "binnis" a bit longer than it should have been, but that created keeness and unrest in viewers for some time, which is again perfect from direction, production and commercialization aspect.

Thanks for warning the readers of this thread about questionable stuff in the movie, though  bebzi

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2011 02:50 PM »

Hey guys!

After I saw this thread earlier, I thought I would watch the movie, though I saw a bit of the spoilers, but that didn't really matter - it is something for me to enjoy during breaks/meals.

I liked it (watched a DVD Rip on a site I've been using recently hindilinks4u.net) - though I have to say I didn't like the ending - TOTALLY would have preferred what you said Sis J! That would have been awesome - "ekdum correct banda" Jaitan" sounded cool!  - but it's Bollywood, so I guess we should haven't expected it to go any other way in regards to two main characters. He totally didn't deserve her, but I wonder if the husband-to-be had found out she had slept with Bittu, things might have been different.

Awww Sis J - grating??? You called Anushka Sharma grating??? I like how feisty she was when the disagreement arose. I liked her best in her debut film - Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi with SRK (one of the few relatively recent films of SRK that I thought he was good, otherwise, not a fan of his). In that movie, she was a traditional girl, but I guess, as these new female leads move on they have to "graduate" to more the more glam/risque/non-homely-girl roles where they have to portray less morally-sound people, so don't be surprised by that Sis Jannah. It doesn't hurt that she is from Bangalore, where my dad's family resides, so one reason I have a soft spot for her, hehe. What you refer to are the old rules of classic Bollywood, and we left that era long ago. Thus, I do enjoy watching old movies (been catching up with some of Rani's movies that I hadn't seen in their entirety). I wish they could make movies like they did in the 90s and before - not likely though, but there are a few in recent memory that can be called classy (main example, Parineeta and the love scene was actually tasteful and more meaningful to be honest).

Anyways, that is my take.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011 09:05 PM »

Yeah I was told it was just cute rom-com with no really "bad scenes".  I try to limit myself to a few movies a year that are special in some way with nothing too over the top in them. I'm kinda sad to see this trend in bollywood which has always been about family movies with morals with some lessons and dramatics thrown in for effect. That's why they're beloved the world-over. What's the point of throwing in something so ridiculous. I just don't see any Indian girl sleeping with a guy on a whim like that. India is still a very traditional country. And the way the clothes are getting all western and shorter every year and what not. Blech... Guess I have to go back to my jane austen where they at least wear long dresses.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2011 09:40 PM »

I totally understand Sis Jannah. I would recommend watching our parents generation's films! I love them! The songs, the stories, so much more noble and humble. Also, the actresses didn't need to show skin or even have on that much makeup (well, black and white, I guess we can't tell) to look beautiful - they were classic beauties in those days.

One of my best friends here, she's from Angola and she LOVES Bollywood (as you said, loved all the world over) and I brought her two DVD's to watch - Awara and Umrao Jaan. Both classics. I love Tere Mere Sapne (we have this and several other old films on DVD that my Amma has collected over the years, when she or I have made trips to cities with Asian districts - like Jackson Heights in NYC for example or Chicago or LA), with Mumtaz - as that is about being a doctor and one's principles and how the outside world changed him (Dev Anand).

Yeah, I guess you'll have to stick to your Jane Austen for now.

I do sympathize you, but I guess I just have lower standards - as sometimes, I just need to watch something somewhat entertaining to pass the time or unwind. As for learning some lessons and the like, yeah the old ones are waaaay better.

Yes, as for the sleeping around and the related scenes, it does take away from the tastefulness - it was better when the two lovers would be about to kiss as they were running around trees and then the camera would cut away or the girl would run away, etc. That might sound funny (as Azhar Usman loves to mention in his act) but it was sweeter and much more romantic than just," wham bham thank you m'aam" (sorry if that's crude, but I'm sure you've heard that phrase before).

Anyways, hope you find a more enjoyable source of meaningful entertainment soon.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Nafs
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2011 01:17 AM »

The not so nice things that occur in such movies, totally distasteful. I understand "American" movies and all of those have similar things going on too, but at least they are rated. In America, the Indian movies that are played at the movies or what not never have ratings. It's one thing to go yourself and just walk/"avoid" that bad scene, but what about when your with elders or something like that? veryyyyyyy embarrassing. I guess it's not such a family thing anymore?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: