// Growing anti-Muslim hatred in the U.S.
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Never argue at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument. - Richard Whately
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing anti-Muslim hatred in the U.S.  (Read 3174 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Mar 03, 2011 06:13 PM »

Word on the street is that the tea partiers will increase their rhetoric and hate-mongering especially as we get closer to the election. This will supposedly stop Obama from being re-elected. Remember the frenzy of the Muslim hate this past August because of the upcoming election. I fear we haven't seen the worst yet Sad

Growing anti-Muslim hatred in the U.S.
By Glenn Greenwald

Next week, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King (R-NY) will convene a Congressional hearing to investigate the loyalty and "radicalization" of American Muslims.  Earlier this week in Tennessee, a bill was proposed to make it a felony to follow sharia law -- which would essentially criminalize the practice of Islam in that state.  Last year, mosques in Tennessee, Oregon and Georgia were targeted with apparent arson.  The case against the Park51 community center -- including from mainstream TV journalists -- was grounded in the warped premise that Muslims generally bore guilt for the 9/11 attacks.   All of these sentiments  are regularly bolstered by a deranged cult-leader/TV personality followed by millions.

And last month, in Orange County, California, Tea Party members and other protesters bombarded a charity event sponsored by a Muslim group -- and the families of American Muslims entering the event -- with the most foul, hateful, threatening messages possible, while various politicians, including a member of Congress, praised the protesters.  Just please watch this video, compiled by CAIR-California, to get a taste of what is happening (you can watch it below or here):

Several months ago, I wrote about the "odiousness of the distorted Godwin's law":  the corrupt notion that anything and everything relating to the events that enabled Nazi Germany are off-limits in political discussion, that the entire historical matter is just blacked out and rendered taboo.  This understanding of that "law" is odious because learning from all historical episodes, including that one, is vital.  Indeed, the creator of this "law" -- Mike Godwin -- appeared in the comment section to that post to explain that he sought not to prevent all comparisons to the Germany of that era but only "glib comparisons," noting:  "The purpose of Godwin's Law is to provoke remembering, not forgetting (and certainly not silence)."

Regardless of what one believes about that comparison, to note the similarity between then and what's happening now -- laws to criminalize a minority religion, formal government investigations into disloyalty from a minority group, violent attacks on their place of worship, and the intensity of the hate-mongering evidenced by that disgusting video -- is anything but "glib."  The Southern Poverty Law Center recently declared that Pamela Geller and her band of twisted anti-Muslim hatemongers constitute a "hate group."  It's encouraging that SPLC is taking this growing menace that seriously; everyone should be.

Hate Comes to Orange County

UPDATE:  I think what was most striking about that video is that the presence of small children didn't give these anti-Muslim protesters even momentary pause; they just continued screeching their ugly invective while staring at 4-year-olds walking with their parents.  People like that are so overflowing with hatred and resentments that the place where their humanity -- their soul -- is supposed to be has been drowned. 
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2011 06:54 PM »

Watching this just made me sad...
Sad because the muslims and their children had to endure this.
Sad because those protesters are doing more harm to this (my) country more than any bomb could.
Sad because all those protesters will never really know the beauty of Islam because they are so full of hate...

But as I mentioned in another post:

DON'T VOTE REPUBLICAN!

Muslim friends don't let friends vote Republican.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2011 08:33 PM »

Salaams - I really like Mr. Greenwald, he's been writing some great stuff recently.

I didn't watch the video, but I remember this summer, all the tension over in NYC, etc, so that is enough, but yes, King isn't making things any easier of course for us. Indeed, I afree with you Sis J, the worst is yet to come, though that is hard to believe to an extent.

Watching this just made me sad...
Sad because the Muslims and their children had to endure this.
Sad because those protesters are doing more harm to this (my) country more than any bomb could.
Sad because all those protesters will never really know the beauty of Islam because they are so full of hate...

But as I mentioned in another post:

DON'T VOTE REPUBLICAN!

Muslim friends don't let friends vote Republican.

Nicely put Sis Rahma, very very sad (again, glad I didn't watch the video) - also, I voted for Obama, though my 'honeymoon' with him ended with the settlement issue, but of course, that was bound to fail, but as for our situation in the States, I think he is doing a decent job, but yes, it does seem like he's a one-term president sadly. It just kinda sucks that we only have two choices - when one party 'messes up" we go to the other and then vice versa. It is almost hard to believe we might go back to the Republican party to lead the country after they mislead  and misdirected the nation in recent years. Let's see what happens.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2011 09:35 PM »

wsalam,

So true wcoastbaba I feel like that's how the US works! Don't like the current way things are, get the other party in power and then after awhile the pendulum swings and in the meantime nothing gets done...

Also, I don't think this hate is just about republican vs democrat but that the republican tea party and mainstream republicans are endorsing this type of racism and the whipping up of hate frenzy for their own ends.

The whole republican vs democrat issue is difficult for Muslims because on the one hand we do have very conservative family values like republicans but we also believe in much of the democratic liberal values and policies. However, the republicans starting with Bush, sr, and jr. have started enough wars, hate, patriot acts and guantanamos to alienate us for life.

Anyhow like the last election they said was really dependent on how the middle person voted, the independents and ppl that didn't have any party. And that's who they are trying to influence with all this islamo-hate anti-shariah bs nonsense.

Our problem is that this hate will last much longer than the election and have a lasting effect on the American public. So we really need to separate ourselves from the politics of it (if possible) and defend Islam and Muslims and their rights.

rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2011 03:19 PM »

And here's Senator Joseph McCarthy 2.0:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/mar/03/congress-islam

Scarier and scarier...
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011 09:28 PM »

Gosh, life is sure changing in the US since I've come to Prague and since I've only been there months at a time, it will be somewhat strange when I do come back for good. I know I may not see it right away, but I'm sure, as time goes on, I'll probably get a taste of it, though I hope I don't. I have a good relationship with my next door neighbors and we openly talk about what is going on nationwide and of course, more recently in the community with the Christmas Day sting that we had.

Last summer was pretty intense with the NYC situation, but now, it seems to be coming to a boil with the hearings and all. Anyways, here is a a report, from where else, Al Jazeera.
King hearings on homegrown terrorism

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2011 10:56 PM »

i admire all of you muslims who live in the States and Europe and have to live through all of this.

i pray that allah gives you all strength and protection.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2011 10:59 PM »

i admire all of you muslims who live in the States and Europe and have to live through all of this.

i pray that allah gives you all strength and protection.

Jazak'Allahu Khairan bro and AMEEN to your du'a. We will be needing as much as we can get, as you can see from these pictures and reports.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2011 11:25 PM »

wsalam,

They're definitely gearing up the hate for the 2012 election. And they are targeting certain people. Like this "undercover" video of an NPR executive saying the Tea Party was racist. Uh hello. They ARE racist.

Anyhow since I was in NYC this weekend I attended the Times Square "I am Muslim too" event against Islamophobia!! Here are some pics. So there are some normal ppl out there...

We were on two opposite city blocks, squished in like sardines in these barricades. It was pooouring rain, wet, cold and pretty miserable. But alhamdulillah many ppl did turn out. And there were some famous ppl who spoke and some performances and raps.

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2011 06:39 AM »

pretty kewl

are there any good articles on the rally?
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2011 06:48 AM »

Cool pics Sis J! I rewatched the video I posted, but couldn't find ya!  Grin

BABA
 desibro

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011 11:40 AM »

Awesome Video of the 'I am a Muslim Rally:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/09/times-square-protest_n_833461.html

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2011 12:21 PM »

Just to make a more serious, mature comment - as you said Sis Jannah, it is good to see that there are 'normal' people out there, or in other words, those that are brave (some might say) or decent enough to support the Muslim community at large in such times. The picture with someone shaking the hand of a woman with the placard from the rally is really nice to see. I think it is in such times that we can see both the worst and best of humanity as a whole. We just have to pray and hope and work, so that this good side wins out in the end. That would seem to tie in with our overall purpose of being on this Earth. It's shaytaan's forces, which as we all know (I sure do) comes in many forms, and looks like we are seeing that to some extent with the recent and current tensions/antagonism in the US.

As I've said before Sis Jannah on that one blog post from last summer, really proud that we have community members like you and other of your colleagues that are going out there and representing us.

Lastly, here is a episode of Riz Khan with Sh. Hamza Yusuf; interestingly enough and I think that we can agree with, Sh Hamza says the Islamophobia is worse in Europe and since being here and being mjroe in touch with related events in Europe, I think I might tend to agree, especially since European Muslims haven't quite fit in with the European community as much as we have in the States, though I think we are getting our welcome, again, as Sh. Hamza states in the video.

BABA
 desibro

Riz Khan - Rising anti-Muslim rhetoric?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2011 06:24 PM »

Another ugly day in American history:

Keith Ellison Tears Up At Hearing On Muslim-American 'Radicalization'

Click on the link to see the video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/10/keith-ellison-tears-up-muslim-hearings_n_833981.html

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), the first Muslim-American elected to Congress, broke into tears Thursday during a hearing investigating possible radicalization of Muslim-Americans, telling the House Homeland Security Committee the inquiry was “the very heart of scapegoating.”

“We’ve seen the consequences of anti-Muslim hate,” Ellison testified. “The best defense against extreme ideologies is social inclusion and civic engagement. … I fear these hearings may undermine our efforts in this direction.”

Ellison became emotional while recounting the story of Mohammed Salman Hamdani, a 23-year-old Muslim-American firefighter who died while saving others during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Hamdani, whose mother was in the audience, was castigated for his religion after his death, with some wondering whether he had been allied with the attackers, Ellison said.

“He should not be remembered as a Muslim, but as an American who gave everything for his country,” Ellison said.

The hearings, led by committee Chairman Peter King (R-N.Y.), have already yielded a storm of controversy, with critics questioning whether Congress should single out a particular minority group as a possible threat to national security.

King defended the hearings in his opening remarks Thursday, saying they fall in line with the Obama administration’s stated concerns over the radicalization of Muslim-Americans by extremists abroad.

“I remained convinced that these hearings must go forward, and they will,” he said. “To back down would be a craven surrender to political correctness and an abdication of what I believe to be the main responsibility of this community: to protect America from a terrorist attack.”
Story continues below
Advertisement

King said to focus on extremism in general would “dilute” the hearings, listing a number of statements by Obama administration officials on attempts by foreign terrorist groups to radicalize American Muslims.

“There is no equivalency between al Qaeda and neo-Nazis, environmental extremists or other isolated madmen,” he said. “Only al Qaeda and its Islamists affiliates in this country are part of an international threat to our nation."

But a number of rights groups and Democratic members of Congress have spoken out against the focus of the hearings, arguing that non-Muslims have perpetrated a number of terrorist crimes in the United States.

Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) told the committee he thinks the hearing could promote hate and violence against Muslim-Americans. He said he hung a picture of Joe McCarthy, who led infamous hearings in the 1950s to root out Communists, in his office to remind himself of what the hearing should avoid.

One controversial element of the hearing was King’s selection of witnesses, which bypassed moderate Muslim groups in favor of a Muslim activist who warns of creeping extremism and family members of radicalized youth.

M. Zuhdi Jasser, a doctor from Arizona who regularly appears on Fox News and has been called “Glenn Beck’s favorite Muslim,” testified that the Muslim community had focused too much on victimization rather than discouraging radical members. He said the Muslim community had allowed some individuals, such as Fort Hood shooter Nidal Malik Hasan, to become radicalized.

“Pathology creeps up over time and just like alcoholism, there are enablers, and the enablers in our community are what is making the problem get worse,” Jasser said.

Melvin Bledsoe, whose son, Carlos Bledsoe, converted to Islam at the age of 19, testified that his son became radicalized by Muslims before moving to Yemen. When he returned to the United States, Carlos Bledsoe shot two U.S. Army privates outside a recruiting center, killing one. He is now in prison.

Melvin Bledsoe said the same could happen to other U.S. youth if radical Islam continues unchecked.

“It seems to me that Americans are sitting around doing nothing about Muslim extremists. It is a big elephant in the room,” he said. “Mr. King called it political correctness, you could call it political fear, but it is stepping down for a population ... even if some segment of that population wants to violate everything we stand for.”

During the hearing's question-and-answer portion, Democrats criticized King for even holding it, with a few members denouncing statements that there are “too many mosques” in the United States.

There was an awkward moment when Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) defended the committee, claiming that no one had said there were too many mosques in the country. He was interrupted by King, who acknowledged that he had made such a statement.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) lashed out at King during her question period, calling the hearing itself “an outrage.”

“Muslims are here cooperating,” Lee said. “They are here doing what this hearing is saying they do not do. I just question, where are the uncooperative Muslims?
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2011 06:33 PM »

Yikes! I actually had no idea the hearings were starting today, but then exchanged a few messages with my Baji in Brooklyn earlier (she was watching online) and she told me about the comparison to Neo-Nazis. Yes, it is another sad day in American history. I wonder what kind of atmosphere our children (not to mention theirs) will grow up in in the US. . . .

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2011 10:57 PM »

A Human Touch Pulled the Curtain on Peter King’s Anti-Muslim Theater

Last week’s congressional hearings on the Muslim community didn’t go quite the way Rep. Peter King hoped and expected. Their content turned out to be more of a referendum on whether such hearings themselves were a good idea, interrupting the fear mongering political theater that King had set up. There’s more racial scapegoating to come from some congressional quarters though, and those of us who love the ideals of religious freedom and racial justice will have to keep honing our fightback tools.

King seemed in good shape as early polls showed 50 percent or more support for the hearings among Americans. But he got himself in trouble early last week when reporters revealed his long-term support of the Irish Republican Army in the 1980s. He lamely responded that the IRA was different because it never tried to attack Americans.

During the hearing itself, King was forced to defend his decision to have it, as most of the testifiers warned against the slide into McCarthyism. Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim to be elected to Congress, stole the show by crying as he told the story of 23-year-old paramedic Mohammed Salman Hamdani, who became the subject of speculation that he’d collaborated with the hijackers after he disappeared on 9/11. It turned out that he was actually among the first responders who died in the towers. Hamdani’s mother, Talat, went to D.C. several weeks ago with other family members of 9/11 victims for a scheduled meeting with Peter King, but he stood them up.

King argued that Muslims have a greater responsibility to turn each other in than other Americans, as he thinks that every Mosque has a bomber hiding in its basement. King refused to broaden the hearing to include other groups, asserting that there is no equivalent between Muslim extremism and, say, neo-Nazis. But of course there was the case of Byron Williams, who was intercepted by California Highway Patrol on his way to shoot up the ACLU and the Tides Foundation last year. And just last week, police arrested Kevin Marpham (a member of the neo-Nazi National Alliance) for appearing to construct a bomb with which to greet marchers at Spokane’s MLK Day rally. In a recent report, Charles Kurzman notes that in 2010, there were more than 20 terrorist plots by non-Muslims. A certain segment of white men appear to be very, very angry.

The law enforcement community was notably absent at Thursday’s hearing, and the only officer to testify, Sheriff Lee Baca from Los Angeles, said that Muslim Americans had a great history of cooperating with law enforcement. Before the hearing, the White House represented itself through Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough, who didn’t condemn the hearings (that would have been a strong statement that, sadly, I don’t expect from the White House) but spoke at a Virginia mosque mostly about how cooperative Muslim communities had been.

All of this theater really turns on the notion that Muslims aren’t actually Americans. It is of a piece with last summer’s mosque mania, and the Republican Party’s ongoing effort to win votes by playing to white Christians’ anxieties about the brown Muslims next door.

But there is some room for change. While most polls, taken ahead of the hearings, showed just over 50 percent support for King’s effort, that broke down heavily along political lines, with Republicans at about 70 percent and Democrats at around 40 percent. Seven in 10 people polled by the Public Religion Research Institute said King should expand the scope of the hearing to other groups. In a Gallup poll, most people said that Muslims are not too extreme in their religious beliefs or supportive of Al Qaeda. Importantly, a good 10 percent were undecided, and that represents a large number of people.

People who want to protect Muslims from undue suspicion and targeting need to focus on these open spaces. We need to keep humanizing Muslims and defending their status as members of American communities. As the tenth anniversary of 9/11 approaches, the grandstanding to force Muslims to prove patriotism will be ratcheted up in a big way. As Republicans try to distract us from their union busting hijinks in statehouses and Congress, their attempts to end birthright citizenship will include a focus on immigrants who are Muslims, South Asians and Arabs. All of us who are committed to the idea that it is not okay to attack people based on their race or religion need to be prepared for these moments.

We should take our cue from Ellison, who let his own humanity shine while he defended that of a young hero. We should act as Talat Hamdani does, and make Muslims increasingly visible and harder to stereotype. Most of all, we should prepare ourselves to speak on this question of who belongs in America—at the dinner table, around the water cooler, and in the halls of Congress.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/03/a_human_touch_pulled_the_curtain_on_peter_kings_anti-muslim_theater.html
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2011 08:17 PM »

Nice article Sis J, Jazak'Allahu Khairan for sharing.

Just got this passed on from a sister I know back home, which you may have already seen if you are in the States or follow CNN - a special on the demonstrations that will air on March 27th at 8pm.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2011/03/09/unwelcome.the.muslims.next.door.cnn.html

BABA
 desibro

rahma
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2011 02:07 AM »

I have just finished watching CNN's Unwelcome: the Muslims Next Door.

I am shaking and I feel physically ill....

Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2011 09:25 PM »

I saw that too!

I went to Giant Eagle on Friday to get bread and milk and the cashier, threw my stuff in a bag. She was so rude to me. As soon as she saw me she rolled her eyes and did not want to use my advantage card. She made a comment about this is her country. I said it is MINE TOO! I had the manager called over, they gave me a 25 dollar gift card and their apology. WTH So I turned and gave it to the old lady behind me for her groceries and I said this is Islam. I walked out and told my husband when I got home. Needless to say we are never shopping their again. My husband informed others from the masjid who go there during our haliqa. I was so angry!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
rahma
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2011 10:22 PM »

So I turned and gave it to the old lady behind me for her groceries and I said this is Islam.

Good for you!

Suphanallah, the people in my town are still friendly.  I wonder if that's gonna change before long...
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2011 11:43 PM »

Salaams -

Wow, Sr. Christine - awesome! I mean, sorry you had to experience that, but I have to agree with Sis rahma - well done as far as the response.

Also, there is this recent post on Imam Suhaib's site pertaining to the program, which I haven't read yet, but in case you missed it, thought I would share it here:

BABA
 desibro
*******************************************************************************************
Immediate Reflections CNN’s “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door”
GUEST AUTHORS |   APRIL 3, 2011 5:00 AM

By Imraan Siddiqi

The CNN Special “Unwelcome – The Muslims Next Door” premiered a few days ago and is one of the highest profile pieces in mainstream media regarding Islamophobia. At first, I was sort of squeamish about tuning into the program, because even though we have become adept at reading endless emails, columns, and talk radio commentary that highlight anti-Muslim bias – seeing this on TV really tends to be heart-wrenching.

I recorded the special on my DVR and subsequently spanned the full spectrum of emotions. From pleasantly surprised at the very human (yes Muslims are human too!) portrayal of the Murfreesboro Muslim community, to concerned when hearing of the scope of the outcry against the mosque, to finally outraged in seeing the depths that some within the opposition would sink to in order to squash this project. There was also surprise, in seeing how a personal connection existed in this mosque project as well.

From CNN’s perspective, I believe they did a fair job in attempting to not take sides – even though this is an issue of Constitutional right among the Muslim community. From a journalistic standpoint, CNN played the role of ombudsman – however this real-life morality play was truly reflected in its characters.

The Muslims of Murfreesboro did an excellent job of representing an Islamic community to the rest of America by being strong, composed and sticking to the facts. Although the documentary was filmed much earlier – it is airing in the shadows of the Peter King Radicalization hearings in Washington DC. In the current climate that the Muslim community is facing – there is a narrative that the Muslim community is playing the role of victim, prone to shedding “crocodile tears” when they get in front of the TV cameras.  Don’t believe me?  Just click here. Rather than showing respect for the Muslim’s willingness to shed tears for their faith – the script is flipped, and the anti-Islam community uses these emotions as fodder.

A Show of Solidarity

With that being said, the Murfeesboro Muslims did a wonderful job of showing a strong and determined face – such as in the case of young college student Lema Sbenaty. In witnessing her Islamic Center vandalized, her community demonized and the entire issue politicized – the sister had every reason to break down under the weight of the pressure. As I sat next to my wife watching the show, I even at times felt tears welling up into my eyes, in witnessing the level of hatred that some harbor toward Muslims as a whole – one cannot help feel emotional in these circumstances. The trolls among us in society unfortunately would have a field day.

We have seen a concerted effort in the Islamophobia business to dehumanize Muslims. Talking heads such as Brigitte Gabriel and Michele Malkin have unconscionably stated that images of Muslim parents crying, holding their dead or wounded in bombed out Arab neighborhoods – are actually just random passers –by, just faking it. The Islamophobic community also likes to state that Muslims are practicing the buzzword “taqiyya” in order to portray your smiling Muslim neighbor – as a lying, sleeper  terrorist-in-waiting.  As you see, in today’s political climate, Muslims are not allowed to express human emotions. Either way, it is likely that those who didn’t like Muslims before the special – will still feel the same way. Those who are neutral will see that this has to do with the inalienable rights that all Americans enjoy

On a personal level, I was pleasantly surprised to see the former Imam of the mosque I attended in Irving, TX – Shaykh Ossama Bahloul. When the Imam came to the U.S, he could hardly speak any English – but you could see the true effort that he has made in learning the language and in order to become a more engaged member of the Islamic clergy. He is now fluent in English, and did an excellent job of representing himself to a national audience.

Hope For Muslims – from an Unlikely Source

In recent months, there has been a concerted effort in passing anti-Shari`ah legislation in states like Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida – and the state at the epicenter of this documentary, Tennessee. With many candidates successfully running on a platform of fear-mongering, Muslims now find themselves wondering what implications that this has on them long-term. Is it possible that a Muslim meat-store owner gets 15-20 years in prison, for processing halal meat? Unlikely, however he is in effect practicing Shari`ah-law – which according to these half-brained bills would be illegal.  Needless to say, many Muslims are rightfully concerned.  That is why seeing this legal process adjudicated on the CNN documentary was especially helpful.

After the mosque opponents did everything within their power to protest the mosque’s building permit, they decided to move forward with a temporary injunction. On what basis, you ask?  For that answer, we go to Murfreesboro’s racist legal council:  Joe Brandon. Due to the fact that this house of worship is protected by the 1st Amendment, the councilor decided to attack from the angle that Islam is not a religion. Therefore, he has set forth on a quixotic adventure in delegitimizing a faith with 1.5 billion adherents.

As a human being, it is very gut-wrenching to see your faith be twisted out of context, and for it to be used as political fodder. Muslims love their faith, and to hear it being equated with suicide bombing and wife beating  – as in the case of Attorney Brandon, is completely unacceptable. But however uncomfortable this situation gets, what has unfolded rings of hope for the Muslim community. The appeal was denied. Sure there was plenty of pomp, circumstance and shout-downs. But the most telling moment came when the Department of Justice intervened in the proceedings and informed the participants that “Islam is plainly a religion,” and is therefore unequivocally protected by the 1stAmendment.

The appeal failed, so in the aftermath of the documentary – the opponents are still grasping to any legal straw that is available to them. Although this promises to be a long, arduous process – Muslims can rest assured that they cannot be denied the right to practice their religion freely, just as the case with any other faith. The same logic can be applied to what the opponents of Park 51 have attempted from a legal perspective – by trying to label the abandoned Burlington Coat Factory a “historical site” after the fact, among other last-ditch legal loopholes that they are attempting to exploit. This will also be the ultimate downfall of those states who attempt to pass anti-Shari`ah legislation – as a thinly veiled attempt to disenfranchise Muslims. Bottom line:  Muslims represent less than 2% of the entire U.S. population. In “anti-Shari`ah” states like Oklahoma, the population of Muslims is more like .02%. Please explain how buzzwords such as “creeping Shari`ah” have any precedent given these statistics.  In the end, there is absolutely no push for Shari`ah in the U.S., however the word has been politicized to foment a climate of fear/otherness of Muslims. So thank you Joe Brandon, your failure and mockery of the legal profession just lifted the spirits America’s 7 million Muslims.

In closing, the documentary turned out to be a net positive for the American Muslim community. While it may have been a bitter pill to swallow initially – in witnessing the rampant hate and fear-mongering taking place, it still highlighted many positive messages. We were able to see the principled, steadfast stand of the Murfreesboro Muslims, along with just how our faith is protected by the U.S. Constitution. As proud Americans, we will someday be able to look back and remember anti-Muslim resentment as a thing of the past, and will insha’Allah (God-willing) be accepted and respected as part of the fabric of America.

Imraan Siddiqi is an entrepreneur, freelance writer and MBA from Arizona State University.  He writes primarily on the subject of Islamophobia, and his articles can be found on www.stopislamophobianow.wordpress.com.  You can also find links to his articles at facebook.com/StopIslamophobiaNow

maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011 03:00 PM »

I really dont think I ever want to go to the US, I dont think I can handle such pressure and hate, I really do admire the strenght of our sis/bros that live there, May Allah increase your iman and make things easy for you and also uplift islam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: