// Documentary about al-Andalus' influence in Europe
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentary about al-Andalus' influence in Europe  (Read 1274 times)
Samuel ibn Yaacob
Madina Seeker

Reputation Power: 0
Samuel ibn Yaacob has no influence :(

Exile is an emotion that can't easily be expressed

« on: Jan 22, 2012 08:43 AM »

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/when-moors-ruled-europe/

I highly recommend this short Documentary:

excerpt:
Join British historian Bettany Hughes as she examines a long-buried chapter of European history–the rise and fall of Islamic culture in what is now Spain and Portugal.

Although generations of Spanish rulers have tried to expunge this era from the historical record, recent archeology and scholarship now shed fresh light on the Moors who flourished in Al-Andalus for more than 700 years.

This fascinating documentary explodes old stereotypes and offers shocking new insights. You’ll discover the ingenious mathematics behind Granada’s dazzling Alhambra Palace, trace El Cid’s lineage to his Moorish roots, and learn how the Iberian population willingly converted to Islam in droves.

Through interviews with noted scholars, you’ll see how Moorish advances in mathematics, astronomy, art, and agriculture helped propel the West out of the Dark Ages and into the Renaissance. What emerges is a richly detailed portrait of a sensuous, inquisitive, and remarkably progressive Islamic culture in Christian Europe.

Samuel ibn Ya'acob
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012 08:16 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation samuel!

I can't remember if I've watched this before or not but I'll be sure to check it out.

Samuel ibn Yaacob
Madina Seeker

Reputation Power: 0
Samuel ibn Yaacob has no influence :(

Exile is an emotion that can't easily be expressed

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2012 03:38 AM »

Saalam Jannah,
My good friend and colleague David Shasha would like to send his publication to you, but I have no idea how to get you connected? He is the founder of the Sephardic Heritage Center in NY, NY. He has various Muslamim contribute to his newsletter.  Let me know  I saw Jannahorg@yahoo.com as an email will that work? He has written for the Huffington post too.

Samuel ibn Ya'acob
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2012 06:23 PM »

walaikum salam, Thanks Samuel!! I'll check it out I did receive it on email!! How are your Andalus travels going, will you be going this summer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: