// Jane Eyre 2011?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Even after all this time The sun never says to the earth, “You owe Me.” Look what happens with A love like that, It lights the Whole Sky.   -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jane Eyre 2011?  (Read 2571 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 10, 2010 03:16 AM »

Not a BBC adaptation but a full length movie! It looks quite awesome really. Releasing March 2011

Jane Eyre - 2011
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810161778/video/22939910
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2011 07:45 AM »

Split this out from the "BBC Adaptations" thread because it just came out!!!

Very interesting actually. Slate has a well-written review: http://www.slate.com/id/2287898/

And also a very funny cutting look at past jane eyre adaptations http://www.slate.com/id/2287644/
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011 06:33 PM »

Can't wait to see this finally an adaptation of Jane Eyre that looks like it may be worth watching, i love this book so much have avoided adaptations as they always disappoint...

Lets see....
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2011 07:23 PM »

Oooh baji, let us know if you liked it and if it has any 'bad scenes'. I'd like to see this in the theater but I think it's only going to play in the artsy theaters here at limited times so we'll see....

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011 04:19 AM »

Salams,

OK with Downtown Abbey done till Fall 2012  :'( :'( :'( has anyone watched Jane Eyre 2011. Thought we could all watch it (again) and discuss it here!! It should be available everywhere now as it's been out for a long time, ie local library internet etc

So who's in??
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2011 08:40 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I watched it!!!  I remember having strong opinions about it right after I watched it, but that was a few weeks ago now so I may not remember everything....

(BTW spoilers ahead so be warned)

I think overall it was good.  I thought visually it was nicely done, the scenery, costumes, etc as well as the actors being proficient (For example the scene where Jane confronts her aunt as a child - I thought the child that played Jane really showed her vulnerability, and the aunt's chilly demeanor and sumptuous clothing fit her to a T) but in the end, I think the actual script left something to be desired and made the whole thing fall a little bit flat.

I felt like some of the most poignant scenes were left out, maybe to make it fit with time constraints or with movie standards.  For example, after Jane runs away from Thornfield, there is a scene in the book where she is desperate for food and tries to sell her gloves at a shop.  She is humiliated to have to do such a thing and is met with suspicion and rejection.  It just shows her at her lowest moment and her desperate need - whereas in the film, when she runs away, she just sort of cries and throws herself around some empty fields as far as I remember until she reaches the doorstep of St. John.

Also I have not seen an adaptation that really does justice to St. John.  He is such an interesting character.  His intensity, zealousness combined with his raw appeal and charismatic draw.  I liked his portrayal here and I think they got closer to it in this adapation than in others but I have yet to see a St. John that matches the image in my mind's eye Smiley 

There was also no real darkness, sense of foreboding or mystery about Mr. Rochester's secret.  Whereas in the novel you felt this darkness and feeling of foreboding on every page, that kind of shadowed everything else, even during the proposal and their whole courtship.  I think they tried to do it with the thunderstorm right after the proposal but it just came across as lame IMO.  The scene with the torn veil was also omitted.

It's interesting how they pretty much deleted many of the heavier Christian elements - from her childhood friend at Lowood who was a deeply spiritual little girl and talked about patience from the perspective of Christian suffering, to her inability to accept Rochester's secret on religious grounds.  Here it was, "I have to respect myself".  Not sure if this made the film better or worse but I did like that line.

One last thing - I think Jane Eyre should be told in he own voice (with Jane as narrator) and end with a "Reader, I married him" to get the real feeling that it is her story just like in the book Smiley

That's all I can think of right now, the End Smiley
Nafs
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2011 09:48 PM »

Salams,

OK with Downtown Abbey done till Fall 2012  :'( :'( :'( has anyone watched Jane Eyre 2011. Thought we could all watch it (again) and discuss it here!! It should be available everywhere now as it's been out for a long time, ie local library internet etc

So who's in??

OMG fall 2012 Huh?? Sad are you serious (yeah Im a bit shocked don't ask) why would they be waiting so long?

I'll watch Jane Eyre 2011 Cheesy
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2011 09:56 PM »

ws,

Very interesting thoughts Se7en!! I'll have to watch it again...maybe sometime this week when we're stuffed full of halal turkey and I'll let u know my thoughts.. I did find a link to it online, if anyone wants it PM me!!

Nafs yeah takes that long for them to write/produce it and everything!! A lot of work must go into every episode!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2011 06:00 AM »

wsalam,

Ok

So I watched the first half again and my impressions.... First I have to say I've never really been a fan of Jane Eyre. Everyone claims it's more "realistic" than Jane Austen or other period dramas, but to me it just has such a dark and morbid feel to it and such fantastical elements that are hard to believe.

But I do like watching the different adaptations of it to see how they depict it and thought this was is probably the best of all out there....

*Spoilers*

Liked how they showed her running from Thornfield as the opening shot... I think it added to the mystery and interest and just that shot of billowing skirts running from a castle is so gothic-licious!! I think that's all they really needed to show there, I found the crossroads kinda weird. And I always imagined her just wandering moors until she collapsed to die and then St. John found her there on one of his walks to commune with God or something!

BTW I hated the St. John depiction... as se7en mentioned no one gets this right!! He's supposed to be this incredibly handsome, charismatic and deeply religious figure, almost magnetic. And Jane *is* tempted, but in the end she just realizes she loves Rochester too much to be with anyone else.

I thought Thornfield needed to be darker. It was drab but there just wasn't that ominous, impending doom feeling to it. Thought Mr. Rochester was ok, the actress playing Jane Eyre was very good too. So hard to show attraction and love between a young girl and a character like Rochester. I just never see the chemistry, I just don't think they show how fascinated she is, and how attracted he is. They "say" they are but the viewer just can't see it.

The character of Blanche needs to be blonde, and I thought the little French girl should have been a younger age. I did like the housekeeper.

I also think telling the story in first person is definitely better for gothic novels like this, kind of like Rebecca style which is a pretty amazing film in the same genre. I mean can you ever leave out a line like ""Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again"!!! It just defines the whole thing. As does, "Reader, I married him" in Jane Eyre. (and "Till this moment, I never knew myself" in P&P.)

I didn't mind how they showed things in flashbacks.

I also think how they showed Lowood was wrong. Yes it was very fundamentalist, but it was also abusive. They needed to show sick and dying girls, the awful food they ate how horrible the teachers were etc. Here they just showed it as a strict school with a cruel headmaster.

I found this article on the Bronte sisters/family that was actually very interesting. Apparently they found some new unpublished manuscripts of Charlotte. But it seems a lot of speculation especially about the insinuations about too-close relationships between the siblings and their brother. Eww.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059067/Tiny-Bronte-manuscript-introduces-world-Jayne-Eyre-character-Bertha-goes-auction.html

As an aside I totally think Se7en would be Charlotte out of the Bronte sisters and write a Jane Eyre, while I would totally write a Wuthering Heights like Emily Smiley

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2011 07:13 AM »

salaam,

I agree with your additional points but didn't really like the flashbacks.  The housekeeper (Judie Dench I think?) is always great in everything I've seen her in.  (Wasn't she in that other PBS thing with all the older women in the small town?)

About the chemistry - I think the actress that played Jane did a good job of showing the development of Jane's feelings towards Mr. Rochester, but I don't think you really felt it from Rochester.  If I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have known he was growing attached to her in that way - in the film it seems more like he is just toying with her to garner a reaction (even into the proposal scene)

BTW where does it say that about the Bronte family? (It wasn't in the link you posted).  I'm just curious... And why is it that the most creative minds seem to come from some type of tragedy or dysfunction?

salaam

PS I have yet to complete a masterpiece (and waiting to read yours Jannah Smiley) but I do use a mini (netbook) so maybe that's analogous to Bronte's tiny tiny manuscript? Smiley

PPS Did you find some halal turkey?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2011 07:49 AM »

wsalam,

Cranford! Yes Judie Dench is pretty amazing in everything!

Sorry that wasn't the article!! Either they changed it or I have no idea... tried to find the other one but can't remember where I read it from Sad

Torturous messed up lives make ppl want to escape into their torturous messed up fiction?? lol j/k

I'm still working on my masterpiece so I'll let you know...

See pics in Turkey thread!!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2012 05:28 PM »

Salams,

So Jane Eyre 1996 is now playing free on hulu. The Jane they picked for both young and older are both amazing and are perfect for the parts. But Mr. Rochester?? I mean he looks so old like 50-60!!... how would a young girl fall in love with him except as a father figure. It's just really odd. But we only saw up till the horse scene so we'll see how it goes after that Wink

--reporting from 'we need a break from wedding planning' headquarters,
k over and out Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: