// Easy main dish idea for kids ?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Ikhlaas is to forget the vision of creation by constantly looking at the Creator. - Abu Uthman
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy main dish idea for kids ?  (Read 1921 times)
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« on: Mar 16, 2011 04:36 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I am having a party for my daughter and she has invited 38 girls between the ages of 3-15 plus their moms Smiley
What is the best and easy main dish that I can make for girls ? ground beef and maccaron? speghetti ? I would prefer not to order pizza , any ideas ? recipes?
Not all of them are of south Asian background and used to spicy cooking , therefore  something that all kids like. ALso something that I can make in advance want to keep the day of party free for other chores.

Jazak Allah khair
tq
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2011 07:55 PM »

salam

Spaghetti bolognese,

Pizza- buy the base ready made and put on a variety of toppings.

Chicken tikka (do you want the recipe?)- basically lightly spiced chicken on skewers and then grilled eaten in pitta bread, or tortilla wraps with salad and chutney.

loads of finger foods, samosas, deep fried cheese balls (I cant stop eating this, inside me there's a fat gal hollering to get out I tell you), fried chicken, penne pasta, chips (no party is ever complete without chips, French fries if you're american!)

I shall return to this thread after thinkign about this. Whens the party?

Ooooh and cupcakes you have to have cupcakes.....actually I have to go eat something sweet right this minute!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2011 08:20 PM »

loads of finger foods, samosas, deep fried cheese balls (I cant stop eating this, inside me there's a fat gal hollering to get out I tell you), fried chicken, penne pasta, chips (no party is ever complete without chips, French fries if you're american!)

Ooooh and cupcakes you have to have cupcakes.....actually I have to go eat something sweet right this minute!

Wassalaam

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Sr. Fozia, you are one funny gal, no matter the size!  Cheesy

To put in my two cents, I'll second the idea of finger foods, if I remember anything about being a kid, its great to have little snacks to keep munching on . . in fact, I still do!  Grin  Cupcakes, that was staple for birthday parties when I was in lower school (Grades 1-5) so for homeroom, the parents of the birthday girl/boy would at least have to bring cupcakes for the class, so that is a one feature everyone will approve of for sure.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011 08:38 PM »

Oooooooooo sounds fun... we'll come with our party hats on!!  princesssis fez Oh we weren't invited you say? booo Wink Ok well I think some type of pasta dish is good like what fozia suggested penne with sauce and ground beef mixed in. Also good idea to have all the fun stuff... salsa and chips, regular chips, cheese doodles, drinks. Hey what's a birthday party for except for kids to eat until they're sick! Also don't like the idea of cupcakes sorry guys but where's the birthday cake!!! Hopefully an ice cream cake, but I am acceptful of other kinds Smiley
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2011 11:35 PM »

salam

Ice cream cake, have you not had enough of the cold yet?Huh?? On the other hand that does sound amazing........

I do like cupcakes tho, I do them up in cellophane and ribbon and hand them out at home time instead of party bags as  I cannot be asked to source cheap tat to put in little bags, which the kids won't get much use of anyway.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2011 09:51 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Hang on, what's wrong with having a few triangular shaped cucumber sandwiches? A tad too English perhaps!!

As well as the chicken tikka, how about chicken satay with that wonderful peanut sauce!! If the kids don't eat, it just means more to share for the grown ups Wink

On the subject of cupcakes, Bloomingdales in Dubai have a Magnolia Bakery where you can choose your own cupcake and they will make it for you in front of your very own eyes. I defy anyone to pass that shop without salivating!!

I am having a party for my daughter and she has invited 38 girls between the ages of 3-15 plus their moms

Sounds more like a wedding than a party!!

If it wasn't anyone else besides the multitasking supremo that is Sr tq, I would have said get some outside caterers bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2011 01:52 PM »

Assalamo elikum
WOW - Jazak Allah khair y'all - as we say in south Smiley

I am making biryani and kofta(my duaghter's favourite ) cholay and dahi baray for moms. Since I love any thing sweet, I am making couple of desserts- gulab jamun, chocolate dip marshmallows, chocolate cookies and ofcourse cake(Alhamdulilah for costco). I have gotten a wonderful easy recipe online for cookies(Alhamdullilah for slow day at work) if successful will share with you guys. Ofcourse Sr.Fozia and Jannah will be able to see pictures(fb Smiley ).
I wasnt sure of what to make for kids, my kids eat like grown up Nihari and all that Smiley
Sr. Fozia I like your idea of sending home cupcakes.
Sr Jannah, please do post the recipe. I would like to make it in advance .
we'll come with our party hats on!!    Oh we weren't invited you say?
Ofcourese you are invited , if you can drive +20hours for it Smiley

Hang on, what's wrong with having a few triangular shaped cucumber sandwiches? A tad too English perhaps!!
Br.Khalid  I like those sandwhiches too, used to have when I was young(couple of decades ago Smiley) But my US born sillykids d ont like them- yeah I know they have no taste Smiley

Sounds more like a wedding than a party!!
NO dont say that , she is only 5 Smiley. She has invited all of kindergarten class(there is only one boy in her class, poor him ) and their sisters and moms, teachers - its almost all of her school Smiley

I like the idea of chicken tikka also , but I will have to do that right before the party begins to keep it nice and crispy? Since its only girls and big girls Smiley party, my helpers (boys) will not be available (have been told to leave before party starts and not come back till we call them )
Inshallah will get some chips and salsa and some other party mix type stuff as Br WCoastbaba suggesed.

Sincerely wish you guys could come too Smiley
tq
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2011 05:25 PM »

salam

tq, you should start a catering business on the side!  you are supermom! I would have just ordered pizza, some popeye chicken and made  salad :-)  38 kids + moms, imagine the after-party clean up job!
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2011 07:26 PM »

So agree with you Sis um aboodi - tq is just amazing - so much work, my Amma (mom) never did that much for that many kids - I mean, she did do things for my classmates, but I don't recall doing it on that scale, though she does go all out for dinners now, with the more mature crowd, or family, so I get to enjoy that - lots of yummy Indian/Pakistani food!

Much respect & admiration Sis tq - insha'allah someday ,agar aapki ijazat hai (with your permission)  I am definitely coming down South to enjoy some of your wonderful creations from the kitchen . . .gosh, I can just imagine  hungry hungry hungry

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2011 09:37 PM »

ws,

wow agreed that's a lot of work!! for our sister's parties we either order pizza or each person makes a dish to bring because it's way too much on one hostess unless you have a lot of help. but i'm sure your daughter will appreciate it. i still remember the parties my mom did for us when were young and we invited everyone in the neighborhood and things. good times Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2011 05:40 PM »

i still remember the parties my mom did for us when were young and we invited everyone in the neighborhood and things. good times Smiley

Wow, the whole neighborhood's kids Sis J? That sounds pretty sweet. I never had that.

Do let us know how things turned out and if possible, PICTURES Sis tq, otherwise as Sis J said, aapki beti ko boht maaza aur khushi aayga!

BABA
 desibro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: