Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... it was shaadi season time.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket World Cup  (Read 3645 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 23, 2011 10:42 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So after the excitement of the football world cup last year in South Africa, it's the turn of the more gentlemanly game of cricket to take centre stage.

Has anyone been keeping up with events in India as we approach the knockout stages? Any predictions on likely winners?

Will India repeat their great victory of 1983 or will Pakistan and Sri Lanka repeat theirs of 1992 and 1996.

Can anyone beat the Aussies?

Will the South Africans choke again?

Will the West Indies and New Zealand find any consistent form?

And will England ever give us a game which doesn't put us into cardiac arrest? Wink

We will just have to wait and see…..bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011 01:51 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Just keeping up with Pakistan's cricket team. Right now they are playing West Indies, praying for them to win Smiley

Dont have the answer to any of your questions Smiley Just living on prayer !!

Wasalam
tq
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011 08:00 PM »

Salaams - There is a healthy Pakistani population here, that I've gottenn to know. There a business group, that run's a convenient store just downstairs from my apartment (it's aroudn the corner), so I was actually watching the last 10 min of Pakistan's previous match there on the computer they had behind the counter (vs. Australia). Also, a restaurant that I frequent run by others of the group, also have a TV with the games on, but of course, if I happen to be eating there, I watch, otherwise, I just check the BBC.

Yes, I heard from those guys that they are playing the West Indies as Sis tq mentioned - should be interesting. Though I live in the States, when I go to India, I get reminded of all the rules of cricket, so know, I've kept how the games works in mind and with the increased exposure here, I am following it more regularly - several years ago, when the 20/20 Final was India vs. Pakistan, I watched it in a Sports Bar here in the Old Town with a female Pakistani classmate and two boys (one was Indian and from the same part of India my Amma is from). So the two of us were cheering for India and the other two,as they were from Pakistan, for the Pakistani team. India won on the last ball, so we had some fun with them, hehe.

Of course, with family in both countries, its nice to see them both do well. Let's see what happens . . .

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2011 10:48 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Just keeping up with Pakistan's cricket team. Right now they are playing West Indies, praying for them to win

How much praying did you do? bro

Pakistan completely trounced them by 10 wickets!!!

several years ago, when the 20/20 Final was India vs. Pakistan

Well it could well be an India v Pakistan semi final if India beat the Aussies so I guess the whole of the subcontinent will grind to a halt if that happens!!

With respect to England, another player has had to go home (not because of injury this time) but because he has been diagnosed as being clinically depressed.

These guys really do play far too much cricket nowadays!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2011 05:07 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Hate to say it but the South Africans just choked again and NZ ran out worthy winners.

India v Pakistan will be HUGE!!

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2011 10:57 AM »

India is kickin' it thus far

75-1.

Go Indiaaaaaa!  Grin Tongue  (I actually don't know who to cheer for, my khala in London only cheers Pakistan, she's pretty anti-Hindu to be honest, as she grew up in India, but then I have a khala in Karachi too .  . . but my family is 85% Indian, so . . . .)

Not watching the match of course, just checking the online updates on BBC. I could be watching it though at a nearby Pak restaurant, and it is also gorgeous here in Prague - spring is definitely here (53 F / 12C and is supposed to get up to 61F/16C).

Some funny messages on the BBC stream:

From shivamLM: "On my metro ride home from University here in Dubai, the train was filled with people rushing back home for the match!"

"Fun times in the office - we've two developers on adjoining desks, one Indian, the other Pakistani, the Aussie behind them is constantly trying to wind them up, our South African contingent left last Friday and I'm just keeping up the English reserve."
BABA
 desibro

peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2011 12:08 PM »

India is kickin' it thus far

75-1.

Go Indiaaaaaa!  Grin Tongue  (I actually don't know who to cheer for, my khala in London only cheers Pakistan, she's pretty anti-Hindu to be honest, as she grew up in India, but then I have a khala in Karachi too .  . . but my family is 85% Indian, so . . . .) quote]

25% of my family is in pak too...75% including my self is in india. i ought to cheer for india but when pak. loses my dear hindu friends get glad that indians have defeated Muslims. That puts us on the boil  Angry and we wish that pak. wins and india loses  Lips Sealed. But then as the indian wickets fall we feel  :'( and wish that india wins......oh poor poor us indian muslims  Sad....we can't even support whole heartedly  Undecided
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2011 12:10 PM »

oh the entire text is in quotes! My portion starts from 25% above that is teh quote from brother wcoastbaba
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2011 12:45 PM »

Yes, I saw that Sr. aazeen, but I think everyone will understand!

Yes, us Indian Muslims have it tough when ti comes in this context . . .

my khala in London supports Pakistan, as she really hates Hindus (she grew up in Patna, where my Amma's family is from). There is a healthy Pakistani population here as I've mentioned elsewhere on the board . . I'm buddies with many of them, as I drop in for conversation and when I do come in to the stores or restaurant, I am greeting with "Dr. sahib, Dr. sahib" but I've had to teach them my real name, as I'm not a doctor yet, but of course, it's nice . . . reason I bring this up, is that sometimes they think I'm Pakistani or just forget I'm Indian, cuz I usually speak in Urdu with them, so that is one way I kinda trick them, hehe.

Since religion inevitable comes up in this scenario, I think we should pray that we win in the Hereafter . . . of course, Allah already knows who is going to win and that he is the one who decides all matters, sports too of course, but in the end, we ask Him to be Merciful on the Last Day rather than on the pitch (though that would be nice too) . . . (just writing this is a reminder to myself)

As I was typing this, Sachin is OUT . . .

BABA
 desibro

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2011 02:08 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Well at one stage India were threatening a score of over 300 but the Pakistanis fought back well.

So do you guys dare come up with a prediction as the second innings gets under way? Wink

My spider senses keep telling me the Indian bowlers are going to feel the pressure and the batsmen are going to sneak home.

We wil see….bro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2011 02:24 PM »

I don't know BrKhalid . . . yes, the pressure will be there, and being on home turf . . . just got a text from a fellow med student who used to study here - and now studies in Pakistan (she's an Irish Pakistani)

Yup watchin it n supportn pak. I dnt like india. We deserve to win!

I am catching a bit of coverage on some site and the commentators are saying that Pak is looking comfy and confident, so right now, looks like they do have the mental edge. But in sports, anything can happen and you have to play the game i.e. walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

I saw on the BBC earlier that Sri Lankan fans think it will be easier for them if Pak advances to the final.

Let's see . . .

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2011 02:27 PM »

I guess Pakistan could use some good news, given that in other aspects of life, you've got things going to the dogs -as my Baji there says.

BABA
 desibro

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2011 02:35 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I guess Pakistan could use some good news, given that in other aspects of life, you've got things doing to the dogs -as my Baji there says

I know things are ruff (sorry couldn't help that one) in Pakistan right now but who's 'doing' things to the dogs and why? Wink

One of the all time classic Madina typos  Cheesy

Hmmm I hope it was a typo!!!  Shocked

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2011 02:42 PM »

ahhahhaha, oops. Corrected it.

All-time classic, huh? Well, I'm in the books for something after 2 years (IT WAS MY 2nd YEAR ANNIVERSARY YESTERDAY! LOVE YOU MADINA!!!!!) Though I guess that's not flattering at all  Sad Sad Sad
BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2011 05:02 PM »

Salaams, well this was Pakistan's match to lose and looks they that is just what they are in the process of doing . . . sorry Sis tq.

BABA
 desibro

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2011 05:22 PM »

Salam
Its not over.....

Yeah I know , seems like we will be loosing Sad Sad But we are still praying.

Wasalam
tq
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2011 05:23 PM »

True, as long as Afridi is there . . . there is always hope.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2011 05:26 PM »

And just when I said that, he is OUT.

SORRY tq!!!!

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2011 06:14 PM »

INDIA ONTO THE FINAL!!!!!!!

woohoo woohoo woohoo

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2011 07:49 PM »

salam

Gosh India's thro, my f/b page is awash with tears and jubilation and teasing......need to go lie down after that!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2011 11:05 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Credit to India, they held their nerve well.

One wonders if the result would have been different if Tendulkar hadn't been dropped so many times!!

India, Sri Lanka should make an interesting final but I'm giving up on making predictions!!!

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2011 07:42 AM »

Seems I am a bit late to the party Tongue
You guys should've seen the euphoria here, man, as the match went into its final stages the streets were deserted and people were glued to television sets in shops and cafes. The moment we won, everybody came out on the streets and shouted slogans, waved flags, burst crackers and what not. It was a sight to watch Smiley
I had a tough time though, I had to get a shot(yea I haven't fully recovered yet) and the hospital people were also having a tough time sacrificing those precious moments.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2011 10:30 AM »

salam

Glad to see you back and posting Br Akhan, hope you'll be fully recovered soon inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2011 11:27 AM »

Ameen sis Fozia, I hope the same too Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2011 06:09 PM »

Salaams - yes, it's good to have you back bhaya. Get well soon.

OK, I saw this in the chat just before I entered earlier today:

(07:16:38)BrKhalid: Okay gtg but if India win I think Baba should go buy some sweets and share;)

I'll see what I can do - but insha'allah, at the next Madina meet-up in the US - I will bring something for sure! Let's make it happen! I'll bring it even if India doesn't win.

BABA
 desibro

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: