// Trip to the States
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip to the States  (Read 2731 times)
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« on: Mar 21, 2011 10:29 AM »

Assalaamu alaikum,

I hope to be making my second trip to the States inshaa'Allaah Smiley.  I potentially have 3 weeks to see a few places.  We're going to New York, Pennsylvania, Chicago, and Washington inshaa'Allaah.  I'd really love it if someone could suggest one more place which they think is worth seeing.  Just to let you know at the back of my mind I have Peru or Mexico too which I keep toying with, but I'm open to suggestions :-).

Thanks so much!

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2011 10:36 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

We were just chatting about travelling to the States and potentially how much more difficult it was nowadays!!

The trip sounds nice though, hope the weather improves a bit for you guys!!!

at the back of my mind I have Peru or Mexico

How safe is Mexico at the moment with all the problems they have with the drug barons? Sounds a very scary place but perhaps that's more publicity than life on the ground?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2011 04:23 PM »

I actually went just recently-over the Dec and Jan break, and alhumdulilah I didn't have any problems.  My husband was taken aside for 20mins but they were quite civil with him.  However, some of our friends who have also been over recent years have had a very difficult time.  Two of them were even sent straight back to the UK once they landed there!

Re Mexico- Lol, your comment was the same as my brother's Smiley.  It is scary what's being reported but I'd still like to go.  I think I'm the type of person who thinks 'If not now, then when?',  and obviously, whatever's going to happen will happen regardless, by the Will of Allaah. 

But I may end up going somewhere else anyway though, so we'll see what happens inshaa'Allaah Smiley.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2011 06:41 PM »

wsalam,

what about florida/disney? the weather is so beautiful there this time of year!
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2011 09:44 AM »

wsalam,

what about florida/disney? the weather is so beautiful there this time of year!

Thanks for the suggestion Smiley.  If possible we were thinking of perhaps going to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley.  Has anyone been?

Also, has anyone been to San Francisco?  Would you recommend going?

Cheers.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011 10:16 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

My brother went to San Francisco and the Grand Canyon and highly recommended it.

SF does seem to be a lot more culturally diverse than many places in the States.

How about Alaska? My sources tell me there is some really beautiful scenery up there and the weather should not be too bad at this time of year.

With respect to Florida, has anyone ever been to the Everglades? Sounds an interesting place to visit with all those gators!! bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2011 01:05 PM »

Ohh SF seems like it might be coming on top and I am quite drawn to seeing the Grand Canyon too Smiley, so thanks.

Alaska sounds amazing :-).  So wish I could just take a year out from the current trappings of life and see so many places around the world!

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2011 01:15 PM »

Salaams -

Yes, I've been to San Francisco several times (a relatively short trip by plane for us living in the beautiful Pacific NW) as I had/have family studying/working in the city and its surrounding area. It's a beautiful city and lots to explore - Alcatraz ( the famous island prison from which no one ever escape, which you can get tours of, after getting there by a nice boat trip), the well-known Golden Gate Bridge, Ghirardelli Square (make sure to go to the famous chocolate shop! http://www.ghirardellisq.com/, Fisherman's Wharf (Pier 39)(http://www.fishermanswharf.org/. On my most recent trip in 2008, I went to my first pro baseball game and though not a fan of baseball, the setting was beautiful, as the stadium in on the Bay and it was a typical sunny California day . .

As for Alaska - I went on one of those 7-day cursies with my mom several years ago and it was amazing! Since we were out on the sea/water, we got to see Orcas and blue whales in the wild, in groups . . seals jumping off ice-bergs and even dolphins - at one piont, we were in the dining hall and we saw dolphins from the large windows of the ship . . .but in general, the small towns in Alaska are delightful andn though it was wet and damp while we were there (reminded us of our own non-summers in Oregon), we met some nice people (some young adults included that were working there), so in short, Alaska is another place I would recommend - it's like Allah's untouched place out there, the famous glaciers are amazing as well to say the least.

Maybe this summer when I get home, I could put up some pictures if I can scan those in to the computer, as they were taken before the digital camera was that big/before I bought one, hehe.

BABA
 desibro

PS As I said, I'm from the beautiful Pacific NW, so come visit Seattle and Portland next time 'round!

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2011 08:04 AM »

Salam alaikum

I read something about a thought about Peru? a thought? YOU HAVE TO GO TO PERU  Tongue Cheesy Grin Wink  MashaAllah, and of course to Macchu Picchu while you're there, ti will definitely be the highlight of your trip!!!

Slm
S.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011 06:31 PM »

Everglades- love it. I am a tree huger kind of gal. i love the air boats, the wildlife, plants. i really enjoyed watching the manatees and birds. The alligators always made me nervous. I was afraid they would leap into the boat.

If you haven't seen waterfalls- go see them at any of the state parks in Pa and NY and then top it off with Niagara Falls.

Washington DC is gorgeous- make sure you take one of the touristy buses.

Off of Maryland is the Assateague Island National Seashore- where wild horses roam. There you can get a lot of natural land types that America offers in one sitting, beaches, grass lands, sand dunes...

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
friendlyandgeeky

Reputation Power: 0
friendlyandgeeky has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011 07:00 PM »

Salam alaikum

I read something about a thought about Peru? a thought? YOU HAVE TO GO TO PERU  Tongue Cheesy Grin Wink  MashaAllah, and of course to Macchu Picchu while you're there, ti will definitely be the highlight of your trip!!!

Slm
S.

It's funny, my friend told me the same thing, "YOU HAVE TO GO TO PERU"! Maybe I will someday, but I'm going to Ankarra, Turkey, first

Learn Arabic online at www.learn-how-to-speak-arabic.com, if you want the very best course teaching how to learn Arabic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: