// Muslim model defends Miss Universe contest bid
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: One of the signs of relying on deeds is loss of hope when a misstep occurs. - Ibn Ata'illah Iskandari
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslim model defends Miss Universe contest bid  (Read 1085 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 29, 2011 09:26 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So many angles to this story, I don't know really where to start!!

Muslim model defends Miss Universe contest bid

A model bidding to become the first Muslim to represent the UK in the world final of Miss Universe has been defending her decision to enter.

Shanna Bukhari, who is 24 and lives in Manchester, said she's been sent racist and abusive messages since making it to the beauty contest's UK final.

She believes Muslims in the UK should be allowed to have a western lifestyle.

But Muslim groups have accused her of disrespecting Islam.

Shanna was born in Blackburn and she became a full-time model after finishing her degree.

'Swimwear round'

She said it's her dream to be crowned Miss Universe - but has been told she's going against her religion.

"[I get] comments like 'you're not a Muslim because you're doing this' and it's like - this competition does not make me a bad Muslim at all.

"So it does hurt me to think that people are thinking like that," she said.

One of the main reasons some Muslims are angry is that Shanna would have to appear in swimwear in one round of the competition.

Mohammed Shafiq is from the Ramadhan Foundation, a group that works with young Muslims in the UK - he's against Shanna taking part.

"Islam is very clear that a woman should dress modestly and we do not believe that parading yourself in a bikini is appropriate," he said.

We are clear that we find what she's doing distasteful - lots of women find these competitions degrading

He said he accepts the right for Muslim women to wear whatever they choose, but that those living in a western country should still be respectful of Islam.

"We celebrate individual freedom but to suggest that someone who is opposed to something she's doing needs to move off to another country is quite offensive," he continued.

Shanna said most people do support her, including her family in Pakistan.

'Really jealous'

But her older sister Sameera admitted some of the abusive comments have worried her.

"Is it going to be bricks and stones next when she's walking out on the street? People thinking 'oh look at her, she's a Pakistani and she's entering this competition'."

If Shanna wins the UK final on 1 May, she'll be the first ever Muslim to represent Britain in the grand final in Brazil later this year.

"People are attacking me, using religion as a tool, but is it really religion?

"Or are you really jealous of a girl coming forward and not allowing anyone to dictate to her?

"There are people out there who want to control women," Shanna said.

Meanwhile, other young Muslims have told Newsbeat that being allowed to live a Western lifestyle in the UK is a big issue.

Rayan Jawad, 27, said: "This is a discussion that goes on all the time.

"She's doing pretty much what any girl would love to do who's been brought up here."

Rumena Begum, 18 said: "It goes against our morals and our religion.

"But it's her life - she can do whatever she wants really."

The Miss Universe beauty contest was first held in 1952 - the title is currently held by the Mexican contestant Ximena Navarrete.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12860407

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2011 09:59 AM »

what does one say to this??? perhaps she should be counseled personally. I don't think it serves any purpose to outlash any one publically.
And as far as the issue of her bad infulence on other young girls goes thats also not going to be helped by criticising her publically. It only serves opportunity to the opponents of islam to lash back at us and prove taht islam oppresses women. This is going to influence the young minds even more. Few years back when sania mirza was criticised for wearing high skirts during the game it served no purpose other than muslim clerics being shunned as conservative, oppressive, narrow minded etc etc. and her fan following gayly increased....
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2011 01:15 PM »

salam

"she's doing what any girl would love to do".... Shocked I beg to differ, I have never ever in all my life harboured any desire to be miss anything that requires using my body as a commodity, thank you very much.

I object to the 'First Muslim' moniker given to her bid for this. I mean really? I accept she prolly comes from an Islamic heritage, but don't go doing this in the name of my faith!

She'll get it too I bet, and then the next time a Muslimah wants to wear niqab or hijab in the work place this girl will be paraded out as an example, 'Well whatserface who represented us in the miss universe contest walked around in a bikini...if she as a Muslim can, there's clearly no religious reason why you cover up!!!'

And yes arguments such as these have been used to beat those of who wish to cover up with a stick, by those who hate us!

So to clarify I accept she is the first Pakistani British girl to bid for a place on the miss universe contest. Her actions are no reflection on the religion of her forefathers!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2011 01:28 PM »

@sr fozia: well yes yours is a much broad prespective.....i did not think in those terms.....then its probably better taht a big hue and cry is created by the muslim bodies....at least that will show our disapproval. The influence it will have on hijab and similar issues-----i never thought of that....i am one of those who struggle quiet hard to keep the hijab on....alhamdulillah
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2011 04:37 PM »

Salaams - I have to admit, this reminds of me of what I've shared with you guys in the thread about my friend here in Prague - living in a Western country, while still holding onto at least some basic Islamic values. It seems to be a battle that parents (or community elders) are losing. I admit it makes me feel sad, but as the young girl was quoted as saying at the end of the article -

Rumena Begum, 18 said: "It goes against our morals and our religion.

"But it's her life - she can do whatever she wants really."

Even though she may know it's not what the wider community accepts, sometimes, certain families don't have those values, expectations when it came to bringing up their child. So in a way, we can't expect them to carry that with them - not that I am condoning this girl's actions , other individuals' or those I know personally, but it seems that just how it is with some families. Personally, it just seems with the world being a small place now, and of course, our numbers growing in places like the UK, even some of the basic standards that we hold dear, are going to be diluted out. Sucks but seems like that is the reality - in my opinion, fault lies with both the parents and of course, with the children, as they are full-grown adults who are responsible for decisions they take and the subsequent way they are treated by the community at large, as well, as more locally. Still, in this light, I would hope the behavior of those who disagree should still be civil. My thoughts.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2011 01:24 AM »

who really cares?  there are muslim models, actresses, etc, and they show off a lot more.  its an impossible battle to win.  

people should just say "she can do whatever she wants, but she doesn't dignify herself by parading herself in public. we can only pray that God Almighty guides her to what is best for herself."

instead we should concentrate on the people we can get through to.  for those of you in england, you will remember the case of sufiyah yusof.  cases like hers make you feel really, really sad -- maths genius at oxford becomes hijabi then becomes a prostitute.  so sad...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: