// Census and AV
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Census and AV  (Read 1568 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Mar 31, 2011 08:50 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So have the Brits on board filled in their Census form yet? Did you tick the religious affiliation box?

Apparently last time round 390,000 claimed they followed the 'Jedi' religion Huh?

And perhaps more controversially do you plan to vote in the forthcoming AV referendum?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2011 06:08 AM »

Wa'salam. Yep, filled in Census form with Religious belief & plan to vote for AV too.  purplehijabisis

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2011 06:54 PM »

salam

No to possibly both.

I dont like AV, what happend to proportional representation, that makes far more sense. AV doesnt make sense.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2011 02:43 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Get your daughters to fill in the Census form and make it like a fun group activity!! (okay perhaps that is pushing the boundaries of 'fun')

With respect to AV, I have seen arguments for and against in respect of why it would/would not represent Muslims better in the UK.

Whilst there are better voting systems for PR, it certainly is likely to be more representative than the current FPTP voting system.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2011 09:50 PM »

Sorry to come across as stupid, but what are the benefits of Alternative Vote? What are the negatives? What are the pros & cons of the Current system?

There's not much time until the vote, & I want my vote to count. So any thoughts on this matter would be great!

Cinders

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2011 09:21 PM »

salam

OK AV alternate voting system works like this.

Currently we vote and the ones with the most votes win, with the AV system if there's no outright winner then second preferences is added to candidates totals and third and fourth and the ones with the most wins the seat.

I don't like this because it could mean that the one with say one vote less in the first instance would lose outright because most of us use our second vote strategically, ie not for the candidate we want, but rather for the candidate we least don't want. For example my I use my second vote for the Tories because they are the second most prominent party here otherwise the BNP would get in! And I want to keep the BNP out.

SO in this instance what does one do, would we even be allowed to use all four votes for our first choice, would any of us consider using all our alternatives for one party?

It doesn't make sense, it doesn't sound right to me. Mainly as it could potentially mean the candidate with the least votes would win, as say for example we all just used our fourth vote for Joe Bloggs, just to use up the fourth vote not because we actively wanted Joe Bloggs to win, and if everyone uses their fourth vote on him, he could potentially win an election without getting a single first choice vote, which is unfair as he got no first choice votes to begin with!

I did this in politics when  I was younger, so have a tenuous grip on voting systems.

BTW is AV used in the Euro party votes?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2011 04:42 AM »

Here's an article taken from Yahoo News about AV. Check it out. What do you think?

Clegg attacks Cameron over AV
Nick Clegg has lashed out at David Cameron , accusing the Prime Minister of "defending the indefensible" with his opposition to voting reform for Westminster elections. Skip related content
Have your say: Nick Clegg
In an outspoken interview, the Deputy Prime Minister said Mr Cameron was aligning himself with "reactionary interests" - from the BNP to the Communist Party - in opposing the introduction of the alternative vote (AV) system.
He told a newspaper that the No to AV campaign had been based on "lies, misinformation and deceit" and that he hoped it would mark the final "death rattle of a right wing elite".
Meanwhile, the Lib Dem Cabinet minister Chris Huhne has accused Chancellor George Osborne of persistently resorting to "falsehoods" over the cost of introducing AV.
Mr Clegg's comments reflect the heightened tensions within the Conservative- Liberal Democrat coalition as they approach the AV referendum on May 5 as well as crucial council elections in England and parliamentary and assembly elections in Scotland and Wales.
They also come, however, after a week in which the Lib Dem leader was filmed being urged by his supporters to "pick a fight" with Mr Cameron.

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011 05:46 PM »

Here's a few things that might help you vote with regards to AV.

Q&A: What is the alternative vote referendum?
According to the Electoral Reform Society, two-thirds of British MPs lacked majority support in the 2010 general election; the highest figure ever recorded in British political history.
After that election, when the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats formed a coalition government, one of the first policies they announced was a referendum (national public vote) on whether we should keep the current voting system or adopt a new way of picking MPs called alternative voting (AV).
But what does the new system mean for you? Here’s all the info you need on a referendum that could change British politics forever.
1. How does the alternative vote work?
Both the current first-past-the-post (FPTP) and AV systems means that one MP is elected to represent a constituency in the House of Commons. FPTP sees voters marking an ‘X’ next to the name of one representative. The one with the most votes wins, regardless of their share of the vote.
AV on the other hand allows voters to rank candidates in order of preference on the ballot paper. A voter marks ‘one’ by their first choice and, if they wish, put a ‘two’ by their second choice, and so on. If one candidate wins over 50% of the first place votes then he or she is elected automatically.
However it gets more complicated if none of the candidates get this majority. When this happens the candidate with the least votes is eliminated and their second choices reallocated in a new round of voting. These rounds continue - with the candidate with least number of votes being knocked out - until someone reaches that all important 50% figure, or there are no more votes left to be spread out. Simple, right?
2. How do I vote?
The UK public will be asked to decide whether they want this new system in a referendum (national vote). Brits will simply have to answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on a ballot paper on whether we should accept or reject AV instead of the current ‘first-past-the-post’ system.
The question on the paper will be: “At present, the UK uses the first-past-the-post system to elect MPs to the House of Commons. Should the alternative vote system be used instead? Yes or no?”
To vote in the referendum, you must be listed on the electoral roll. The registration deadline to vote has already passed forEngland, Wales,ScotlandandNorthern Ireland. For those who didn’t miss out on registering to vote, they can do so in person at their local polling station. However, if you are unable to go to the polling station in person on local election day, you can apply to vote by post or by someone voting on your behalf. Details of where your nearest polling station is should have been provided on your poll card and delivered to your door before polling day. Alternatively, you can contact your local elections office to find out.
For more information about how to vote in the referendum click here .
3. When will the referendum take place? 5 May 2011: the same day as the local elections in England. The Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and theNorthern Ireland Assemblyare also holding their elections on this date. The outcome of the referendum should be known on the evening of 6 May.
4. Who else uses AV?
In the UK, Labour and the Liberal Democrats already select leaders using AV. Most Student Union elections have also adopted the voting method. ElsewhereAustralia,FijiandPapua New Guineause AV or ‘instant-runoff’ voting in their parliamentary elections. The presidential elections inIrelandalso use the system. Outside of politics, a form of AV is used to pick the Best Picture winner at the Oscars.
5. Which parties support AV?
There has been fierce political debate in the weeks leading up to the referendum between the three major parties. Although the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats agreed to hold the referendum as part of a coalition deal, Prime Minister David Cameron and most Tory MPs are firmly against the change. They argue that FPTP ensures a stable Government.
[ Comment: AV is for mature thinkers only ]
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and his party are for AV and feel a move away from the old system will create a fairer, more proportionate style of voting. Labour leader Ed Miliband is also in favour, but, according to an opinion poll, Labour MPs are generally split on the issue. According to a survey published by the LabourList website (reported by the Daily Mail), 130 Labour MPs - more than half of the 255-strong party - have publicly declared their support for the ‘No’ campaign, against just 86 who say they will vote ‘yes’.
6. What are the benefits of AV?
It’s more democratic, argue ‘Yes’ campaigners. No-one wins until they have the majority share of the vote and so elected MPs will have a stronger mandate. They can say they have the support of a majority of the electorate, unlike with FPTP. It also keeps the direct link between voters and constituency MPs.
It could also stop tactical voting. In the current system, when a voter knows their party has no chance of winning, they might vote differently just to keep their least favourite party out. Otherwise they are just wasting their vote. But with AV every vote counts.
Finally it also could help keep out extreme parties, such as the British National Party. The system rewards second-preference votes – with extreme parties unlikely to get too many.
7. What are the negatives of AV?
FPTP is easier to count, a well-known system, and will save a lot of time say ‘No’ advocates. It’s simple for people to understand and it’s been around for centuries.
The ‘No’ campaign also argues that AV could be expensive if councils need to spend time and money counting votes and explaining the system to voters. Those costs could then be passed on to voters in the form of higher council tax rates.
8. How much is it costing?
Next month’s referendum will reportedly cost taxpayers £90 million. AV opponents also reckon a further £156 million will be needed if we switch to AV for new voting machines. The ‘Yes’ campaign disagrees, saying we won’t need this equipment. According to the government, holding the referendum at the same time as local elections will save £17m.

Yahoo!  news

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: