Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being in a good mood can make you forgetful  (Read 1650 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Apr 04, 2011 08:56 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

There's an awful lot of weird scientific stuff that comes out now and then but what do people make of this one?

Do you tend to forget things when in a good mood or is it just a load of ole baloney?

Being in a good mood can make you forgetful

Washington: Though good mood brings along cheerfulness and positive feelings, it is also linked with forgetfulness, as such a state of mind decreases your working memory capacity

"Working memory, for example, is the ability to recall items in a conversation as you are having it," said Elizabeth Martin, doctoral student of psychology at the University of Missouri College of Arts and Science, who led the study.

"This explains why you might not be able to remember a phone number you get at a party, when you are having a good time. This research is the first to show that positive mood can negatively impact working memory storage capacity," said Martin, the journal Cognition and Emotion reports. Researchers gauged participants' mood before and after showing them a video clip.

Some were shown a segment of a stand-up comedy routine, while others watched an instructional video on how to install flooring, according to a Missouri statement.

Performance

Following the videos, those who viewed the comedy routine were in significantly better moods after viewing the video, while the mood of those who viewed the flooring video had not changed.

After watching the videos, both groups completed a memory test. Those who watched the comedy routine and were in a better mood performed significantly worse on the task.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2011 01:08 PM »

salam

Without any specific details of the kind of party she's talking about. I would make a stab in the dark and say, the reason why a person cannot remember a phone number given at a party is because generally, when one is at the point of swapping phone numbers, the people involved are stupendously drunk (this is why pretty girls end up giving their numbers to hideous men!), phone numbers are also hideously long.

Also it doesnt say what sort of task the second test people were given, if both sets of people were given a task of laying floors, then one would hazard a guess that yes indeedy the audience which watched the informative programme on how to install floors, would do way better than the group which watched a comedy routine!

Not terribly scientific!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2011 03:37 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Okay just to clarify, one group watched a funny video (Seinfeld I believe) and the other the instructional flooring film.

They then did the same memory test (not on flooring) and the good mood people did a lot worse.

Hmmm…. did Sr Fozia forget to read this or is she just in a really good mood?

I blame all that mithai Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2011 09:50 PM »

Hmm.. I bet the people who took the test after watching the flooring film, were like... OMG please finish this right and lets get out of here.

While the others were still laughing about what they saw and were thinking... Yeah.. whatever.

I agree about the number swapping at parties, most times you don't remember because YOU DON"T WANT TO. The guys at parties like that are creepy. Halloween ones are the worse, when I was in my twenties we would take 2 costumes. One to go to the party in and one to change into so the drunk creep forgets who you were. He is looking for a kitty and you go change into a witch.... very effective. Except for the girl who changes into the kitten, then she is stuck with him...lol Alhamdulillah I am Muslim!!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2011 08:18 AM »

salam

OMG Sr Christine, you're hilarious!

Actually Br Khalid, I was tired when I posted, I could really do with more sleep...this whole British summer time business is highly irritating, I'm convinced I'm sufferinmg due to the errmmmm hour of lost sleep errmm a fortnight ago Roll Eyes

I think Sr. Christine may actually have it right, the ones watching the comedy were prolly still remembering the funny bits from the show, the ones who had watch the flooring show wanted to forget they had just lost an hour of their lives!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2011 09:14 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

What I would like to know is whether being in a bad mood also has the same affect in terms of forgetfulness?

The following hadith came to mind:

Anas b. Malik reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said that:

One amongst the denizens of Hell who had led a life of ease and plenty amongst the people of the world would be made to dip in Fire only once on the Day of Resurrection and then it would be said to him: O, son of Adam, did you find any comfort, did you happen to get any material blessing?

He would say: By Allah, no, my Lord.

And then that person from amongst the persons of the world be brought who had led the most miserable life (in the world) from amongst the inmates of Paradise. and he would be made to dip once in Paradise and it would be said to him. O, son of Adam, did you face, any hardship? Or had any distress fallen to your lot?

And he would say: By Allah, no,O my Lord, never did I face any hardship or experience any distress.

[Muslim]

Perhaps good moods make us overlook things more rather then just being forgetful.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2011 11:34 AM »

salam

But when we (inshallah) enter paradise, aren't we meant to be made to forget our past life, in order for there not to be any sorrow upon us?

Thinking about it seriosuly, during happy times I tend to overlook the sad times or play them down, as I don't like to mar my current happiness by the past which cannot be changed, and anyway even in deepest sorrow there has always been a silver lining to my clouds Alhumdulillah.
Sooooo during times of happiness, I personally would say that actually no  Ihave never known real unhappiness alhumdulillah, there is an element of being greatful to Allah in that, as well as the tohught that there are so many others so much worse off then me. Subhanallah

Or is this more like having a baby, new mothers immediately forget the pain of chidlbirth when they have their babies because the endorphins make them forget, otherwise there would be lots of only children!

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: