Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ENDEARING NAMES  (Read 2626 times)
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« on: Apr 25, 2011 08:45 PM »

salam all,
pls I would like to know the different types of endearments people use for their loved ones esp. spouses across the world purplehijabisis arabbeardbro,
the popular ones of course being
- darling
- honey
- sweetheart
- sweetie pie
- mi amor.........................
LETS SHARE PLS
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2011 10:16 PM »

Habibi!  (To a male, habibeti to a female)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2011 06:27 PM »

Popular among South Asians is

Meri jaan / jaanu (My life)

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2011 06:40 PM »

I remember my Bhabi called my bro that when shw got married to him. We thought it was hilarious! How we laughed... Jaan!!

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2011 10:44 PM »

Salaams,

The ones I use would be too mushy/gross for this forum  Shocked

Another popular one among previous generation of desis is "baat sunain...". Not sure how many of you know how thats used or means!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2011 01:14 AM »

"baat sunain..."
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2011 03:49 AM »

Hard2Hit - also "ajee suniye jee.."  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2011 12:48 AM »

My Mum & Dad used to use that for each other Hard2Hit & akhan. I think it was so they didn't have to use each others names in front of us kids. But obviously in Bengali, sounds a bit different....

"Huncho ni?" ----------> "have you heard?" in Sylheti speak 

akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2011 02:45 AM »

I could never understand why the older generation didn't have to use each others names, I find it quite funny. Thankfully, it seems to be changing now with gen x ditching some of those stupid customs.
And no, I've never known that Bengali is actually Sylheti, forget about huncho ni Tongue
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2011 05:25 AM »

There's two types of Bengali. The standard Bangla where usually people are from Dhaka. It sounds much nicer than The Sylheti speak where people obviously come from Sylhet region. Our Bangla is much more slang'ish & not as eloquent.

I guess the reason they use it, is because they're showing respect for each other. That's my understanding anyway. We don't usually call our elders by name, even siblings. I still call my older bro Bhaisaab!

akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2011 09:24 AM »

Ditto with our Urdu, Hyderabadi Urdu is slangish whereas the real Urdu, spoken by people in North India, particularly Lucknow,Aligarh and Delhi is quite beautiful.

I guess it's SORT OF alright when it comes to showing some extra respect to older siblings or cousins, but I thought spouses are on the same level irrespective of the age factor, so I really don't think it's necessary.
My younger siblings call me Bhaiya Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2011 02:53 PM »

hey akhan bhaiya Grin *can't remember if he is a younger bro or not*

Is Hyderabadi Urdu the same as Dhikni Urdu? That is what my family speaks in Bangalore. My amma is from the North, so I guess her Urdu is more pure, if one can say that.

When I do speak to my family in Bangalore, I just speak basic Urdu, but they speak in that sharper Southern Urdu, which quite fun actually. Endearing names aside, for 'nahin" they use "Nahko" (or at least it sounds like that).

BABA
 desibro

akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2011 07:17 PM »

I am younger, 21.
And yea, Hyderabadi Urdu is the same as Dakhni Urdu(not dhikni), full fledged slang Wink
Nakko is used in place of nahin, hao in place of haan and a ton of other things. And it is funny, Hyderabadis have comedy and fun in their blood Grin
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2011 11:17 PM »

Aww, ma'sha'allah, Br. akhan, you look so mature in your pictures and at least your online behavior reflects that - I mean it.

Oops sorry for the misspelling.

Yeah, it is fun. My late Abba also spoke Kannada, and that is also a fun language to listen to! But yeah, love just sitting next to abba as he spoke to family back home (I was a bit shy back then, as I virtually had no Urdu skills, though my cousins of course would speak English with me, but when my Dadi was alive, she of course would want to talk to me and I always had trouble understanding her Sad and I only got to meet her once).

OK, hope we haven't digressed from the main topic.  Smiley

BABA
 desibro

akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2011 01:47 AM »

lol..I know, I am an old old man at heart, and boring too Smiley at least that's what my younger siblings say Angry

Just that we go back to the topic, some names that came up after a google search Tongue
DH Muffin, Baby Cakes, Hot Stuff, bay, my honey-bunny, sweetie pie, studpuppy, studmuffin  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: