// BBC to screen man's final moments
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The first law of dietetics seems to be: if it tastes good, it's bad for you. - Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC to screen man's final moments  (Read 2096 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Apr 27, 2011 12:25 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

What do we think guys?

A good way of bringing home the reality of death or a gross intrusion of privacy?

BBC to screen man's final moments

The death of an 84-year-old man is to be broadcast on BBC One next month as part of a new series about the life cycle of the human body.

Science presenter Michael Mosley told the Radio Times it was important not to "shy away from talking about death and, when it's warranted, showing it".

"There is a case to be made for filming a peaceful, natural death," he added.

The passing will feature in the second episode of Inside the Human Body, to be aired on BBC1 on 12 May.

The man, identified as Gerald, died at home on 1 January after suffering from cancer.

Speaking to the Radio Times, Mosley accepted that some people would criticise the broadcast, which forms part of a programme looking at the body's survival mechanisms.

"I know that there are those who feel that showing a human death on television is wrong, whatever the circumstances," he said.

Programme makers approached a number of hospices and cancer charities to find someone who was willing to be filmed in their dying moments.

When Gerald was approached about being filmed in November last year, he said he agreed because he hoped it would help others.

The final moments of a man's life were previously filmed in Right to Die?, a documentary screened on Sky's Real Lives channel in 2008.

Motor neurone disease sufferer Craig Ewert was shown ending his life at the Dignitas clinic in Zurich in 2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13192687?print=true

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011 11:31 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Well the programme aired yesterday and you did indeed see him pass away.

There's a CD by Sh Hamza Yusuf where he describes how he saw a young man die before his very eyes after being hit by a taxi in London. He gave a description of the man's final moments and how he 'gave up the ghost' and breathed heavily one last time and then he was gone.

This is exactly what happened in the show last night and in that final breath you could almost see the soul being pulled out from the recesses of the body and the link between the two being finally broken.

May Allah give us all the ability to remain steadfast upon His religion when that hour of ours approaches.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011 07:56 PM »

Ameen bhaya!

Was the guy's name Gerald? One of the BBC Asian network hosts tweeted about watching it, when she said "Wow" and I thought it was more about function/physiology, etc, but didn't realize it was about death (hadn't looked at this thread before today). I replied to the host by saying, how even today, having studied science for years and now with med school, that the body and how it works, blows my mind away . . don't know if that was an appropriate comment, but either way, when I study, I only marvel even more at Allah's Creation - the human.

The only person I've seen die in front of me was my Abba.....even though I knew it was coming, it was still a something...out of the normal experience, for the lack of a better phrase at the moment. Ma'sha'allah, when my father passed away, it was peaceful (he was in a coma for the 3 days prior).

I will say this, though I guess I'm biased, but I think my abba handled his last months with utmost Faith and I have always told people I know, that if I can even show a fraction of the strength/Imaan he showed during this period (he knew he wasn't going to make it) I will be satisfied with myself, though of course, I can only hope that Allah (swt) sees it that way.

Of course, I hope that my final words will be the testimony  lailahaillah

I have read in many places that we should repeat this phrase often in our daily lives, so that it will come easy when death is approaching us, whether suddenly or in a more gradual manner (chronic illness, etc).

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011 07:22 AM »

totally vulgar.

there is something totally wrong about someone's death being prime time TV, and on the BBC no less.

what's next?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011 07:34 PM »

wsalam,

I don't think I ever want to watch anyone die ever. I've heard it's a very good reminder for the living. You're reminded of where we're all going to go one day and what this all means. And of course ppl around you could possibly be comforting in your last moments. but it's just really scary to me  Shocked
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011 06:28 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

It would be interesting to get a proper fiqh ruling on this issue because there are definitely strong arguments on both sides.

For those in the UK, I believe you can still watch the episode on the BBC iPlayer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: