Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Now playing: Famous Muslim literary quotes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The royal wedding!!!  (Read 4609 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 29, 2011 03:40 PM »

salams,

how do we not have a thread on this???! it turned out to be a huge thing didn't it? i have to say i didn't realize it was going to be this big. we probably missed out on all the media blitz over here in the US. also surprised at how religious the ceremony was. too bad that it was at 5am over here but videos are out all over.

let's talk about the dress. BEAUTIFUL. and totally hijabifiable Smiley

dont have a high view of kingships and royalty but it's nice to see two people happily getting married in this ugly world!!

ok the end

bride groom
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2011 05:39 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

it turned out to be a huge thing didn't it? i have to say i didn't realize it was going to be this big

Being old enough to remember Charles and Diana's wedding, this was certainly a more simpler affair but they had all the requisite pomp and circumstance.

I was in central London a couple of days before and the whole city seemed to be in party mode and the amount of media coverage  last night was quite unreal!!

Unlike his father, I really do think Wills (errrm sorry the Duke of Cambridge!) made sure he would marry someone he cared for as opposed to having someone picked out for him.

For her part, Kate (errm sorry the Duchess of Cambridge) made sure she knew what she was letting herself in for unlike her would have been mother in law.

The fact that they actually make a very cute couple is probably why this thing has had so much coverage and at the end of the day, no matter what our faith or beliefs, we should respect two people who set out on a journey and make a firm commitment to each other.

PS I doubt they'll need that pre-nup Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2011 06:07 PM »

salam

It was really romantic, Wills does seem so in love, he was teasing her and couldn't stop smiling right the way thro.

The ceremony was very religious, but it would be the monarch is the head of the church in England, he/she is defender of the faith!

They kissed twice on the balcony, I don't think either will need a prenup. Altho it did seem a little as tho Pippa was trying to get her own prince too, instead of attending to her sister!

The atmosphere has been incredibly festive in the run up to the wedding. I think Kates dress was lovely, they both kept everything understated. The boys must really miss their mum today.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2011 06:10 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

The fact that they actually make a very cute couple  
So true, but did a brother actually said this ??  its more what girls ussually say Wink

I like her dress also very elegant- didnt get to see the ceremony, but pictures are beautiful They both look happy. May they have long and happy marriage.

Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2011 06:57 PM »

Assalamu alaykum, 

Ok I gave in & watched it. I did like the dress and it was beautiful & understated. I don't know why, I guess I just got the feeling  that there was something missing for a Princess!  If anyone remembers Sophie's dress Prince Edward's wife, I think that was beautiful for that time & totally  hijabfiable. I loved loved Kate's tiara. How timeless & beautiful was that tiara loaned off the queen? I think it's Cartier, 1937. 
Speaking of the Queen, didn't she look good for an 85yr old?

They both looked happy & quite relaxed.  Didn't Kate's (Sorry Princess Catherine) brother read that passage really well? I was like wow, that guy is super composed.

I still went out. Didn't realise the wedding was gonna be kinda over by midday. But we've had a lovely day going out too, & the weather picked up too! Bonus!! :-) 

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2011 07:14 PM »

Lot of royal fans here
I stuck to my vow and didn't watch it, didn't even feel the temptation Smiley
On the contrary, my mum and both my sisters were glued to the TV from the beginning till the end (you guys have company in India).
Sometime in the evening I went out to get some biryani and on the way I saw a lot of shopkeepers watching it, from supermarket guys to small run down shops to the petrol pump guy, lots of 'em. Guess I am the odd one out Sad
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2011 09:00 PM »

salam

Sr. Cinders the wedding did lack the usual ostentation of a heir to the thrones wedding didn't it?

I think it was a lot to do with the fact the boys mum isn't around and they kept it low key as a mark of respect (Dianas funeral was held there). Also seeing how terrified Kate looked at the beginning, I think Wills kept it restrained in order to protect his bride too. He was protective of her right the way thro (which was really sweet).

I'm not a royalist as a rule, but I work in central London and we all got an extra bank holiday Thanx to the wedding you couldn't help getting swept away with the festivities & the two are so into eachother I sincerely want them to live happily ever after.... It's all so romantic.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2011 09:27 PM »

salaam

Yay a wedding thread!

I tuned in to the wedding and I pretty much loved all of it.  I'm no royalist but I must admit I got a kick out of watching the whole ceremony unfold.  Kate looked radiant and her dress with the sleeves was gorgeous.  Very Grace Kelly.  I got a bit bored during the hymns and the speeches though.  I wasn't expecting it to be so heavy on religiousness but I suppose it makes sense but it's tradition and Christian faith is an important part of royal history.  I found BBC's coverage too referential and switched to ITV1 which was more laidback and fun.

Anyone see Kate & Wills driving in a top down Aston Martin with balloons and 'L' plate on it?  Made me laugh.  I bet Prince Harry had a hand in that!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2011 11:13 PM »

Salaams all - hahha, yeah Sis J, I am surprised no one started a thread a few days before, lol (I would say BrKhalid should have started it, but since weddings are a girly thing when it comes to celebrities, royals, leave it to the ladies, lol)

I have to say, I wasn't surprised at how big it was - I mean from what I heard, the US networks were going all out (I think its the American love affair with Diana that made this a wedding to watch). Also, yeah, these are quite religious, as Sis Fozia mentioned, as the King of England is head of the Church of England - though I would guess not all of the monarchs are necessarily religious themselves (but as that thread we had, that is whole 'nother discussion). I know this is an issue in our community to, but did you guys here how Kate was not going to say "Obey him . . " during her vows?

As for me, I watched a few bits here and there on BBC's website/YouTube. (I lost a day of studying to food poisoning, so couldn't waste too much time, hehe).

Yes, the dress was quite beautiful and as for the hijabification, there was a funny tweet from one of the hosts on BBC Asian Network:

DJNoreenKhan Noreen Khan
Good girl, she has her head covered and dupatta over her face #royalwedding

I actually didn't think about the toning-down, as it was the site of Diana's funeral (that I did watch in its entirely), thanks for pointing that out Sis Fozia.

As for my reasons, I love history and whenever I learn more about English history, whether through currents events or when my cousin in London tells me stories late into the night when I visit, especially about the monarchy.

@orangetree: I did see pictures of that, but I think I got back to reading before that happened, after the 2 kisses, I called it a day, lol.

Yes, they seemed very happy, I do hope it lasts - as Sis Fozia mentioned, they seem very much into each other (they broke up once recently, right? but that seems to be part of the journey, even with "normal couples")

Yesterday (Thursday) my khala and her son (my cousin) went down to the Abbey to check out the scene, with all the crazy Americans (no joke) and were saying how there were just cameras everywhere, wanting to interview people, etc.

On the one hand, my cousin said he felt patriotic (which he was even more in his younger days, very British ma'sha'allah) but at the same time with the austerity measures and the like, it does seem a bit contradictory, but many of the commentators on the BBC were saying how the event was a wedding or at least a refreshing boost it was in terms of the monarchy and the British people. Afterall, its at the taxpayers expense (correct me if I'm wrong Sis's in England!). Though, I am sure you ladies there are happy with the day off as well! I think my cousin was (he is a GP).

akhan - there you go, just showing off your self0restrain, or wait, you said there was no temptation, so no issue for you right?
*coughshowoffcough*

For those interested, you can download the official program from the BBC website. I am such a sucker for these type of things. Go ahead akhan, laugh all you want!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2011 11:24 PM »

Salams,

What? There was a wedding somewhere...

Sorry, guess I missed it! Was too busy with punching binary numbers at work, pumping iron at gym, and dating my wife late this night. We had two huge burgers from Hardees.

Do send me a card/invite next time around though Wink

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2011 01:37 AM »

Baba, get lost! Grin
I don't understand how you can be so excited at somebody else's wedding. I can't, for sure, except for those who're close to me. And these people are wasting so much money while there are people who're still single because they can't afford it, add to that 2.4bn people wasting all that precious time watching the show while they should be working(at least half of them), so you've got 2.4bn*5 hours of productivity gone down the drain. It actually sucks if you look at it from a different perspective.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2011 07:15 AM »

salam

Wedding was paid by the royal family & the Middletons, not the tax payer.

You know what, I think you have to be here to understand the happiness. Central London was cleaned & decorated & we got an extra bank holiday (two three day weeks in a row).

& there's something about a couple so clearly in love, one can't but help feeling happy for them & wishing them well.

I didn't watch the ceremony btw, I caught the kiss on the balcony & watched them leave the abbey. I wanted to see the dress.

Wassalaam

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2011 08:16 AM »

Salaams -
akhan, yeah I know I"m pathetic, but what can you do, we can't all be like you  Tongue

Sr. Fozia - thanks for the correction.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2011 08:30 AM »

UK republicans slam royal wedding

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2011 08:30 AM »

Baba, I don't think you're pathetic! Because I watched too, & I said I wouldn't. I'm not a Royalist either, but I did find that this wedding could kind of help my five yr old understand about Prince's & Princesses!

I didn't go all out to watch it, but once I started watching it, I couldn't NOT watch it. Of course I carried on with usual housework duties (as us women are great at multi tasking). I couldn't be bothered with all the hymns & passages!

Sr Fozia, I missed the Royal couple leaving the Abbey & the kiss on Balcony, as I went out with friends for a meal.  
I don't think we've had such a nice Public day like that for such a long time. I went out nr Central London, everyone was in good spirits. @ akhan......The tv was on in the dessert shop we went to after our meal, but the guys who worked there weren't watching it. They were too busy trying to make money. I guess they left it on for the customers who most probably wanted to watch it  Cheesy

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2011 08:36 AM »

Thanks for the support dear Cinders behn!

As I said, I didn't watch it in whole, just bits and pieces during the lunch hour, but I did want to catch the balcony portion, and it was during my lunch break, so that was nice.

Did anyone see the Sultan of Brunei's wife? I have to say she looked beautiful in her blue-ish hijab, but I just saw this on Twitter, what do you guys think?

http://dubaisession.com/14385

BABA
 desibro

Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2011 10:06 AM »

Salams,

Why is the Sultan wearing his wife's abaya Huh?

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2011 01:53 PM »

Baba, that link you posted doesn't have the Sultan of Brunei in it, it's Prince Waleed Bin Talal of Saudi Arabia and his wife.
Hard2Hit, if you're referring to the link, then that's the traditional dress of the Saudis, they wear a thobe and that "abaya" over it..lol..usually it's not black.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2011 08:18 PM »

Yes, I know akhan bhaya, I don't have the link to the pic of the Sultan and his wife (i only saw that live). Just thought you guys  or the ladies rather, would have some comment as to her attire.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2011 09:18 PM »

An interesting tweet passed on by Imam Suhaib Webb:

DCdebbie DC Debbie [retweeted] by SuhaibWebb
Guess which news channel is covering the Alabama tornadoes while EVERY AMERICAN NETWORK focuses on British wedding? It's -> @AJEnglish

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011 07:46 AM »

@ Baba, I saw the Sultan of Brunei's wife in her hijab & also some other kings wife in her Hijab too. It was good to see amongst all those non-Muslims. We do make up a huge part of the population on Earth, so I felt we were indirectly represented in some way.
The outfits weren't my cup of tea, however the ladies aren't in my age range (I'm younger) so that might have had something to do with it.Smiley

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011 11:10 AM »

yes saw her in hijab and she was looking nice mA

ok so this is the PRINCE OF SAUDIA ARABIA'S WIFE?Huh?Huh? Sorry I am shocked, Isn't it law there that you have to cover??? So they make others cover but when they go to other countries they don't make their wives cover? Huh?Huh???

That is an awesome tweet!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011 05:20 PM »

yep, that is a Saudi Prince's wife..the women do have to cover but outside the kingdom they're free to do what they want to. Plus, that prince is Waleed bin Talal, one of the few libertarians in the kingdom pushing for reform of laws concerning women. In his office i.e the Kingdom Tower in Riyadh, women are not required to wear the abaya, in fact he discourages it and has seen to it that the Shariah is not implemented in that territory.

PS-He's the guy who's building that mile high tower in Jeddah
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011 06:49 PM »

We need to continue this on the bridal wear thread! I'll post some pics of royal fashions including the sultan of brunei's which is pretty gorgeous!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011 03:41 AM »

Salam,

Just saw this:

I've noticed that the Ahmadiyya community is really ramping up it's efforts at interfaith and things. They do a lot of things I know more conservative Muslim communities would think was haram/bidah. ie like this celebrating the wedding thing, and fairs and festivals they hold for the public. Perhaps the mainstream community needs to get working!!!

===================================

LONDON: The largest mosque in Britain is celebrating the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, saying "Salaam Mubarak" with local residents and guests joining what they call a day of joy for all.

The Ahmadiyya Muslim community here had sent invitations to hundreds of homes in the vicinity of the Baitul Futuh Mosque at Surrey, south-west of this city, inviting them and friends to celebrate the wedding with worshippers at the mosque.

The mosque, on a 5.2-acre site that can accommodate 10,000 worshipers at a time, also erected a large marquee to host a grand dinner and barbecue, a statement said.

"The Ahmadiyya Muslim community is proud to celebrate this joyous royal occasion with neighbours and friends," said a beaming Rafiq Hayat, national president of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community in United Kingdom.

"The royal wedding comes in the midst of our nationwide Muslims for Loyalty, Freedom and Peace campaign. So it is apt that we practice what we preach and mark this occasion with a public celebration."

According to mosque elders, the Ahmadiyya movement was established in 1889 by Hadhrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in a small and remote village named Qadian in India's Punjab. There are an estimated 50,000 members of the community in Britain.

and this: Apparently it is a huge faux pas to be at a church with your hair uncovered by something. That's why they all wore hats! Wonder why they find hijab so odd and want to ban it Sad

-----------------------

Hats appeared to be big news at the Abbey, with almost every female guest wearing either a hat or fascinator.

Doubtlessly this was partly as a mark of religious respect for the venue, but also thanks to the fact that Britain has two world class milliners in Philip Treacy and Stephen Jones, both favoured by the royals and their guests.

Hats have enjoyed something of a revival in the fashion crowd of late, and with Victoria Beckham setting the standard in her chic navy pillbox and Chelsy in her subtle grey lace fascinator, a expect a cornucopia of colourful headgear followed on.

One whose head that went unadorned though was that of Samantha Cameron. The PM's wife made the controversial move of shunning either hat or fascinator.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: