// Malai Kofta
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Calmness: The Prophet said: 'Calmness and determination is from Allah and haste is from Satan.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malai Kofta  (Read 1313 times)
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« on: May 03, 2011 03:45 AM »

Posted by multicuisinerecipes Indian, Vegetarian Mar 262011Ingredients:

Gravy:

125 gms. cream
75 gms. khoya or paneer
150 ml. milk
50 gms. cashewnuts
3 tsp. white pepper powder.
2 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. grated ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. garlic crushed
1″ cinnamon
6 cloves
6 cardamoms
salt to taste
3 tbsp. ghee
Kofta:

50 gms. khoya
50 gms. paneer
5 medium potatoes
20 gms. cashewnuts
20 gms. raisins
4-5 green chillies chopped fine
1/2 tsp. ginger grated
1 tsp. coriander chopped
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
salt to taste
Garnish:

1 tbsp. grated cheese or paneer
1 tbsp. chopped coriander
Method:

Koftas:
Boil the potatoes, peel and smash them.
Mix together all the ingredients except raisins and cashews.
Take a ping-pong ball sized dough in hand.
Flatten. Place 2-3 cashews and raisins in the centre and shape into a ball.
Repeat for remaining dough. Keep aside.

Gravy:
Roast the cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves together.
Dry grind and keep aside. Wet grind all the other ingredients, except ghee, to a paste.
Heat ghee in a skillet, add powdered spices and fry for 2-3 seconds.
Add paste and fry further for 5-7 minutes stirring well.
Add 2 cups water and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
Warm the koftas either in the oven or on the tava.

Optional: You can deep fry the koftas also.
To serve place warm koftas in a casserole.
Either pour boiling hot gravy on the koftas or pour and bake in hot oven of 5 minutes.
Garnish with grated cheese and chopped coriander.
Serve hot with naan or parathas.

Making time: 45 minutes.
Makes: 10 koftas with gravy.
Shelf life: Best fresh.

maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011 03:47 AM »

salam,
found this recipe, can someone pls tell me what
khoya or paneer  means?

and I read somewhere  that nutmeg is an intoxicant, this true?
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011 04:35 AM »

Paneer is an Indian cheese. Milk is curdled and the curds are separated and pressed to drain away excess water. Then it is dipped in chilled water to give it that texture.Queso Blanco, Queso Fresco, farmer cheese and dry curd cottage cheese can be used as substitutes, they're almost identical to paneer.

Khoya is basically dried milk, quite similar to Ricotta cheese except that it is made from milk instead of whey. It is made by simmering milk for several hours. Once the water is evaporated, the remaining coagulated solids is Khoya.

Nutmeg as an intoxicant? Never heard of that Shocked
maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011 03:57 PM »

thanks for the explanation, yeh on the nutmeg issue was shocked when i read about that in an issue of sisters magazine
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011 04:30 PM »

salam

Nutmeg is an intoxicant but you'd have to eat a lot of it.

Similarly Cinnamon is bad for the liver in massive doses.

The amount one uses in cooking is fine and beneficial to health, anything in large doses will kill you.

I never thoguht I would ever share that in conversation..... just a fact from my treasure trove of utterly useless information.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011 04:39 PM »

Salam,

I didn't think Nutmeg was that lethal (joke)  Cheesy. Actually it's got a lovely smell. It's used in lots of different types of foods such as cakes & in Mashed Potatoe (how I like to use it). I don't use it in Desi foods, but I can imagine it being used in Korma's or any typa dish that uses makhan, or dhai.... Not something we tend use in Bengali dishes, or I maybe mistaken. However, cinnamon... That's another story. We use it in anything & everything... As long as it's not fish!   Smiley

Ma'Salam.

Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
maryamarub
Sis

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011 04:43 PM »

salam

Nutmeg is an intoxicant but you'd have to eat a lot of it.

Similarly Cinnamon is bad for the liver in massive doses.

The amount one uses in cooking is fine and beneficial to health, anything in large doses will kill you.

I never thoguht I would ever share that in conversation..... just a fact from my treasure trove of utterly useless information.

Wassalaam

sounds like a treasure trove of useful information Smiley

i have just learnt to avoid nutmeg
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011 04:50 PM »

salam

Nutmeg can make you high! It's supposed to give you a happy boost in smaller doses too.

Actually poppy seeds are good as a natural sleep aid, we have this dish indian style khuskhus made with poppy seeds, it's good to eat as an evening meal as it helps you sleep....on the other hand poppy's are a well known opiate!

Sr Cinders could you post up Bengali fish recipes pleeeeease???

I adore Bengali fish, my closest Bengali friend lives miles from me otherwise I'd be eating at hers all the time ask for her help!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011 08:18 PM »

Salam all,

@ Sr Fozia, yep I will post something up. I don't really follow or 'do' recipes, but I will try to put something up for fish. I don't know if you guys will like it though. Was trying desperately to find an email I'd written for a friend for a  prawn curry recipe,  but I  cannot find it anywhere! 

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: