// Passport Photo (USA)
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there. -Maulana Jelaluddin Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passport Photo (USA)  (Read 2002 times)
Nafs
« on: May 02, 2011 02:05 AM »

Salaam alaikum Everyone Smiley

InshaAllah everyone is doing well =)

I just had a really odd question. My aunt went to take a passport photo today, and the shop told her that she wasn't allowed to wear a scarf/hijab for passport photos.

I live in the U.S. in a very big and diverse city, and I have never ever heard about hijab not being allowed for passport photos.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I am so confused right now.

P.S. apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong section  Embarrassed

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011 05:12 AM »

I'm a US citizen and have NEVER been hassled about wearing hijab for my picture.  Tell your aunt to go somewhere else to get her picture taken.  The people at that shop are very much mistaken...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011 09:22 AM »

wsalam,

I've never heard of that either. Most DMVs have official policies on "religious headgear". I'd do some research in your state, and if you have to, contact CAIR or other Muslim organizations to help you.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011 01:01 PM »

Salams,

In Pakistan, the US embassy requires a pic that has your ear, face and full forehead showing. If you dont conform they dont process your visa application.

I think this rule should be uniform for all US embassies at least...

Not sure what rules apply inside individual states though.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011 04:13 PM »

can i ask a dumb question?

why is it a problem for a sister to have an uncovered headshot in her passport?

passport pictures are meant for identification, not ogling.  nobody except a few people get to see them who need to see them.  isn't it like when a sister goes to the doctor and the doctor asks her to take off stuff for a medical examination?  the taking off stuff in that case is done because of necessity, not for dodgy reasons.

assalamualaikum
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011 04:38 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Br Hard2hit, the photos you are talking about are for visa and immigration purpose. For passport, driving licence, you need to show your face only. You can ask an Imam or Muslim organisation to write a general letter stating that your Aunt cover her hair for religious reasons (sometimes they require it) and hopefully that will be sufficient.
Alhamdullilah I never had any problems getting my DL or passport with hijab and I live in deep south in a county that was the headquarter of KKK Smiley

Wasalam
tq

Nafs
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011 05:55 PM »

I'm a US citizen and have NEVER been hassled about wearing hijab for my picture.  Tell your aunt to go somewhere else to get her picture taken.  The people at that shop are very much mistaken...

She's an older lady who doesn't speak much english, and I am not sure why she would think she was being told the truth, but she basically took off her scarf for the picture.

wsalam,

I've never heard of that either. Most DMVs have official policies on "religious headgear". I'd do some research in your state, and if you have to, contact CAIR or other Muslim organizations to help you.

Yeah I have never heard of such a thing either.
Salams,

In Pakistan, the US embassy requires a pic that has your ear, face and full forehead showing. If you dont conform they dont process your visa application.

I think this rule should be uniform for all US embassies at least...

Not sure what rules apply inside individual states though.

Walaikum Asalaam Brother,

They are different situations no?
can i ask a dumb question?

why is it a problem for a sister to have an uncovered headshot in her passport?

passport pictures are meant for identification, not ogling.  nobody except a few people get to see them who need to see them.  isn't it like when a sister goes to the doctor and the doctor asks her to take off stuff for a medical examination?  the taking off stuff in that case is done because of necessity, not for dodgy reasons.

assalamualaikum

Nothing dumb about your question.
The thing is, I have never ever heard of someone being told that it is not allowed to wear hijab for a passport photo by law.
When it is necessary to take off the hijab for situations, then it is necessary… and of course they aren’t meant for ogling, but then wouldn’t the same apply for Drivers license pictures? If it was necessary to be w/out hijab in an Identification card, wouldn’t the Driver’s license be the first rule?
Allahu Alam.
Assalamo elikuim
Br Hard2hit, the photos you are talking about are for visa and immigration purpose. For passport, driving licence, you need to show your face only. You can ask an Imam or Muslim organisation to write a general letter stating that your Aunt cover her hair for religious reasons (sometimes they require it) and hopefully that will be sufficient.
Alhamdullilah I never had any problems getting my DL or passport with hijab and I live in deep south in a county that was the headquarter of KKK Smiley

Wasalam
tq

Walaikum asalaam
Lol yeah see in the deep south, I’d understand if someone ran into such a problem.. not that it’s okay, but it’s a bit different there compared to here.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011 10:30 PM »

and I live in deep south in a county that was the headquarter of KKK  Smiley

Sister tq,

I don't know much about the KKK and where their headquarters were, but I'm assuming that you live not too far from me.  Did you get hit with the tornadoes where you were?  And if so, do any of the Muslims there need help?  I heard Tuscaloosa got a REAL bad...
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011 02:05 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Sr.Rahma , yes Tuscaloosa got really bad and also in Ga, Ringgold was very pretty bad. Alhamdullilah it wasnt bad for us .
So you around the area ? Thats nice. I am now sending you message
Wasalam
tq

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: