// I thought Islam was the second largest Religion in the US?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Work harder on yourself than you do on your job.- Jim Rohn
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought Islam was the second largest Religion in the US?  (Read 2564 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 26, 2008 01:53 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23337807
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008 06:48 AM »

Judaism is second and after that it's kind of difficult to pinpoint. This part of the article is really interesting:

Among other findings involving smaller religious groups, more than half of American Buddhists surveyed were white, and most Buddhists were converts.

More people in the survey pool identified themselves as Buddhist than Muslim, although both populations were small — less than 1 percent of the total population. By contrast, Jews accounted for 1.7 percent of the overall population.

The self-identified Buddhists — 0.7 percent of those surveyed — illustrate a core challenge to estimating religious affiliation: What does affiliation mean?

It's unclear whether people who called themselves Buddhists did so because they practice yoga or meditation, for instance, or claim affiliation with a Buddhist institution.
Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008 12:21 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

The full report is quite interesting, will be reading it in detail in the next few days (that's what I often do to combat the dreary snowy days).  Anyway, most of the data on Muslims was derived from the MAS survey.  Also, the sample population of Muslims was extremely low so therefore the data may not be as accurate as it should be, well beyond the noted margin of error.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008 12:27 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

I thought I posted the link to the report in a separate thread but don't see it, so here it is.

http://religions.pewforum.org/?gclid=CJWojoqu5JECFQYcHgodzU3hig

The interactive links are really fascinating.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah

blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008 06:02 PM »

Judaism is second and after that it's kind of difficult to pinpoint.

yah but I thought that changed long ago when so many people started converting to Islam in USA .  hmm Im sure I heard many speeches saying that now 'islam is the second largest religion, in America'...hmm they meant world?
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008 11:10 PM »

Judaism is second and after that it's kind of difficult to pinpoint.

yah but I thought that changed long ago when so many people started converting to Islam in USA .  hmm Im sure I heard many speeches saying that now 'islam is the second largest religion, in America'...hmm they meant world?

As salaamu alaikum

The first thing we must remember is that this report is not a "head count" report; rather it is a statistical analysis based on a sample population of only 35,556 adults (defined as 18 and above) who were selected by random digit dialing and an additional 547 individuals who were initially contacted during a different survey (specifically Pews American Muslim survey).  As such, the finding of this current report are ideally nothing more than best guesstimates based on statistical methodology, don't take into account the household composition and thus include all members of the household making the assumption that the religious affiliation of the one responding is the same for all members of the household (including children), nor does it take into account those who are incarcerated. Further, what is not known is what is the actual answer from those who instead responded with "No Religious Affiliation" (16%) or "Don't Know/Refused to Answer" (.8%) and if truthful responses could be uncovered from these responders, the data would change. This really comes as no surprise that some opted to respond in this way because there are people out there who are very untrusting of strange, unsolicited phone calls asking for information.  "Unknowns" are such a pain in the tush.

The only way to get an accurate and actual count would be to collect the data from and on every individual, however the US Census Bureau is prohibited by law from collecting such information. 

I always remember what my statistics professor told me; statistics and data can be manipulated to reflect whatever truth you want.  So in this case by using a lower sample population and manipulating the random digit dialing parameters by setting parameters that will exclude locales where there is a high concentration of a particular group, you can get the results you want.  Other reports I've read within the past year or two indicated that Muslims were the 2nd largest religious group in the US.  I also wonder what the actual impact of the mass deporations have had on the Muslim population of the US; this is something else to research in my spare time -- as soon as I find some Smiley

As you can probably tell, I deal with statistical data analysis on a regular basis - at work and it seems to follow me eerywhere (sheesh I need a new interest). 

I have this Pew report and will be reading it, along with another interesting report I found released as part of the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination.  I reeeeaaallllly need a new hobby. 

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008 03:45 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,
According to Harvard's Pluralism study, the range is from 2-6 million.  Allahu A'lim.
See http://www.pluralism.org/resources/statistics/tradition.php#Islam.

And Faizah's points on statistics are important, especially when considering groups that are not found homogenously around the country (like Jews, Muslims tend to concentrate in metropolitan areas). I would guess that's taken into consideration, but I don't know, haven't looked into it. And I've always thought we must be behind Jews in #, considering American history, but there are so many social reasons why that may be changing, considering the rate of change. Hence, the wide amount of conflicting data.

The only concern I have with this study (besides not the most accurate data in general), is the finding on how many people seem to "leave" their religion...scary. Unfortunately, I see it more and more often, esp. in 2nd and 3rd generation Muslim families. I know someone (2nd generation) who has never been taught a lick of Islam. Literally, her non-Muslim friends know more about it than she does. So sad.

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: