// Islam and Privacy
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Inquiry: The Prophet said: 'The cure for ignorance is to question.' (Sunan Abî Dawûd)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islam and Privacy  (Read 1182 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: May 24, 2011 03:06 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

For those of you in the UK, you will be fully aware of the recent super injunction taken out by a married footballer to prevent the press reporting details of his alleged affair with a reality TV personality.

Once someone decided to post his name on Twitter, others followed and retweeted his identity and finally yesterday with over 75,000 people on Twitter having broken the super injunction, judges at the High Court finally conceded and lifted the injunction against the press.

Whilst there are many legal / social issues here, I wonder what we think about the more general question of privacy, Islam and the role of social media?

Should someone's private life (be they Muslim or not) be subject for public consumption or should it be a matter for the respective parties to sort out? What criteria should we be using here?

We are all aware of the moment in the seerah when Aisha (ra) was at the end of numerous allegations in respect of her behaviour and the reprimand the Muslims were given in respect of divulging and disclosing information which they could not ascertain the accuracy thereof.

If that incident took place now in our digital age, would the impact be greater or less?

By chance I was listening to a CD this morning where Sh Hamza Yusuf narrates a hadith that (and I'm paraphrasing here), 'at the end of time, a man will tell a lie and it would reach the four corners of the Earth'. He [Sh Hamza] personally believed this was a reference to the modern day internet where information can go 'viral' in a matter of hours.

As Muslims should we desist from simply forwarding emails on or retweeting information because of the inherent danger of not knowing the true facts behind something?

As ever, lots of questions and probably no easy answers but interested to see what everyone thinks.

All thoughts / views / opinions welcomed but no backbiting allowed Wink

Wasalaam
BrKhalid

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011 06:19 PM »

salam

What irritated me beyond belief about this whole super injunction thing was that the womans name was bandied about right from the beginning, so we all knew whatsherface from big brother had been at it with a married footballer, however the footballer was safe.....for about three seconds!

Privacy should be a given, but only if both parties agree to it.

Perhaps this whole sorry saga will act as a warning to other people thinking of cheating on their spouse. Giggs is a laughing stock and he spent millions getting there!

It's not a false allegation, it was made a million time worse by his actions following his affair, I doubt he'd have made headlines llike this if he had not sought to take out a super injunction agaisnt the press!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011 03:07 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

A hadith which may be appropriate for us all when faced with these type of scenarios:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (ra) that the Messenger of Allah saw said:

“Part of a person’s being a good Muslim is leaving alone that which does not concern him.”

[Tirmidhi]

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011 08:16 AM »

Yeh totally agree bro!

However, the guy isn't Muslim, neither is whatsherface---> classic Sr Fozia  Cheesy, & I for one have got bigger things to worry about... Not really interested in Footballer's extra marital affairs. However, I take Sr Fozia's point.

But it did make me think... What happened to the sanctity of marriage? Why aren't we as a race not perturbed by the fact that people cheat on husbands & wives?  Why has it become the social norm?

Also, why are Spouses not kind to each other? Because if they were, I don't think we'd have as high a Divorce rate amongst Muslims, never mind Non Muslims.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011 08:25 AM »

salam

There was an interesting discussion on this subject, the gist was that really nobody gives a scooby about the sordid lives of footballers and z list celebrities, but the general feeling was that maybe this will serve as a warning to the rich and famous before they embark on elicit affairs....

I totally agree with you Sr. Cinders, if spouses showed one another a little kindness and mutual respect divorce rates would prolly be very very low.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011 10:56 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

..the gist was that really nobody gives a scooby about the sordid lives of footballers and z list celebrities..

Agree completely, but unfortunately there seems to be a chicken and egg situation here where newspaper editors promote these stories because they know the public will lap it all up and increase their circulation. We then get more undercover reporters trying to unearth more and more scandalous news (just look at the phone tapping scandal at News International for example).

If there wasn't a demand, would there be a supply?

Another side to this story is the impact it has on society and how morals are just diluted as you hear A, B and C doing X, Y and Z.

No one seems to be really shocked anymore and perhaps this adds to the fact of why such behaviour is more prevalent?

Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 04:45 PM »

Assalamu alaykum,

If there wasn't a demand, would there be a supply?

Another side to this story is the impact it has on society and how morals are just diluted as you hear A, B and C doing X, Y and Z.

No one seems to be really shocked anymore and perhaps this adds to the fact of why such behaviour is more prevalent?

I couldn't have put it better myself!

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011 09:37 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

A hadith which may be appropriate for us all when faced with these type of scenarios:

“Part of a person’s being a good Muslim is leaving alone that which does not concern him.”

[Tirmidhi]
Salam alaikum

Do you have this hadith in Arabic? please?
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 12:20 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Do you have this hadith in Arabic? please?

I'm afraid I don't Sad

Can anyone else help out here?

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011 01:43 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

“Part of a person’s being a good Muslim is leaving alone that which does not concern him.”[Tirmidhi]

A good Hadith. I would say, 'easier said than done' when we are constantly bombarded with such news on the internet, (I am not on twitter - too fast for me), and on TV.

But then again, how wise is it to comment on something you are not sure of on a tweet?

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: