// Shepherds Pie
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Gülü seven dikenine katlanır. (Who loves a rose will endure its thorns.)- Turkish Proverb
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shepherds Pie  (Read 1198 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: May 18, 2011 07:56 PM »

salam

Haven't done this in a while, so here we go, this is what we had for supper tonight, and it was yummy and very filling Alhumdulillah!

Ingredients
1lb minced lamb
2 medium onions
3oz carrots
3oz swede
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (never have parsley in this house...except once when the grocery store subsituted it for coriander!, so I used coriander)
2 good shakes of Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 level tablespoon of plain flour (Don't accidentally use self raising flour, I speak from experience Embarrassed....)
2 garlic cloves (I used the regular masala I always have; pureed ginger, garlic ansd green chillies, I need a bit of kick to my food)
1 level tablespoon of tomato puree
2 tablespoons of olive oil (that is actually ridiculous you will need a lot more oil to prevent the ingredients sticking to the pan while cooking!)
10fl oz lamb or vegetable stock
Salt to taste I added salt to my meat I had to

POTATO & CHEESE TOPPING

900g white potatoes, King Edwards or Maris Piper are best
2oz butter
Salt and Pepper

Specific Cooking Equipment
For this Shepherds Pie recipe you will need an oven proof dish and a pan with a lid (I used a random lid on top of a large fryingpan).

Preparation

Finely chop the onion and garlic.
Chop the carrots and swede into small pieces.
Finely chop the parsley.
Peel the potatoes, cut them into quarters and put them in a pan of salted water to stop them going brown.

Pour the olive oil into the pan on a medium heat and add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes turning the onions frequently until they start to turn brown.

Add the carrots and swede and cook for a further 5 minutes turning the mix frequently. Remove them from the pan and keep them on a plate for use later. At this point I pureed the vegetable and onion mixture, because I wanted my girls to eat it not pick it out!

Add the lamb to the pan (you may need to do this in two batches) and keep stirring and turning the meat until it is browned. Break up any pieces of the mince which are stuck together.

When all the meat is browned, add the vegetables, parsley, thyme, cinnamon, Worcestershire Sauce, stock and tomato puree. Sprinkle on the flour and mix well.

Turn the heat down to low, put a lid on the pan and let the mix cook for about 35 minutes (I cooked it for about 20, it's already been cooked enough). Stir it every ten minutes and add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mix is starting to stick to the pan.

Put the potatoes on a medium heat for 25 minutes until they are cooked.

Drain the all the water from the potatoes and then leave them to stand for 5 minutes with no lid (or just a tea towel) on the pan. Add the butter and mash the potatoes to a puree. This will take at least two minutes.

Pour the meat into the base of the oven proof dish, just over half deep is ideal.

Pre heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.

Spoon the mashed potato gently over the meat and even it out gently. Don't use too much pressure or the mash will disappear into the meat rather than staying on top of it. A small amount of mash at a time works best.

Even out the mash topping and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Use lots of cheese, unfortunately I only had bit left, I think it would have been more tasty had I been liberal with the cheese.

Put the dish in the pre-heated oven and cook for 30 minutes turning the dish round once after 15 minutes (again I cooked for about 20 minutes at this stage you just need the top to become golden and brown in places).

The Shepherds Pie is ready when the cheeses on top is a golden brown.

Serve with a vegetable, we just ate it straight, but a side salad would be amazing with this.

Note second picture down is not me setting fire to my kitchen it's my camera lens getting steamed from the boiling potatoes picture! oldshaykh

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011 06:32 AM »

wsalam,

thanx for the recipe! i never knew what shepherd's pie was. i read it a few times in agatha christie mysteries and always wondered   detective
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011 08:40 AM »

salam

You guys don't have sheperds pie over there? I did wonder.

If you substitute the sheep mince for beef mince you have cottage pie!

It is actually super yummy, my girls thoroughly enjoyed it and named me the best cooker  Undecided in the whole world!!!!

Wasssalaam
PS JAzakallah for re-sizing the pictures for me Smiley

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011 07:16 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Hmmm….this looks good enough to eat!!  hungry

Hang on, that's the point isn't it!! bro

my girls thoroughly enjoyed it and named me the best cooker in the whole world!!!!

Perhaps they meant you had the best cooker in the whole world Huh?

I do wonder if this goes well with mint choc ice cream for dessert though……..?Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011 06:12 PM »

salam

I'm not going to over think it, my girls like my cooking I'll accept the compliment........... I'd make a great kitchen implement.......!!!!!!

I thought it went really well with the mint choc chip ice cream, my girls preferred cornish cream ice cream with jelly.....

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: