Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Double, double toil and tazkiyah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just how DIY savvy are you???????????  (Read 1126 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Jun 01, 2011 11:13 AM »

salam

I'm getting work done in my house, we're getting a new cloakroom fitted.

So anyway my dad turns up at my house this morning and then proceeds to grill me about the whereabouts of the water mains tap....like I would know Shocked Huh? Roll Eyes Sad

Then I got told off for not knowing where this apparently essential tap thingy is located....... in my defense I've lived here over a decade and never been troubled about it's whereabouts.

I swiftly left my house with dad in it, taking apart my once lovely kitchen Sad

In my defense I can put together bath plumbing (when it comes apart), I can change light bulbs and tube lights, I can re-set the fuse box and take apart the fire alarm and put it back together again.... personally I feel that is more than enough to be getting on with DIY wise. Especially as I can do all of the above in the dark/knee deep in water/at stupid o clock in the morning all without bursting into tears!

Sooooo how DIY savvy are you all, and do you know where your main water tap thingy is located?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2011 11:56 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

in my defense I've lived here over a decade and never been troubled about it's whereabouts.

In my defense I can put together bath plumbing (when it comes apart)

The DIY sounds fine to me but I'm more worried about this American spelling malarkey!! 

No offense intended Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2011 12:02 PM »

salam

Blame the spell check on this forum, nuffink to do wiv me!!!

On the other hand I actually didnt even notice Shocked

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2011 12:50 PM »

hmm...DIY huh, labour is cheap in India so we usually call somebody to fix anything that breaks down although I can rip up and rebuild the entire house on my own Cheesy
just kidding...I was taught plumbing, smithy, electrical wiring, carpentry and welding in my first year of college, so I can do all that stuff. Plus, two years of mechanical engineering education taught me to fix my motorbike and do the regular maintenance, work with small electronic devices, motors, generators, ACs and pumps. We also work with a lot of metal, like casting and stuff.
I've got another year left so I am hoping I'll be able to do planes, trains and ships by the time I graduate Tongue Cheesy
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2011 08:11 AM »

Wasalam

Sr Fozia: I have a confession - we had the plumber over the other day, and if my sister had not been home, he would not have been able to work, cuz I *have-no-idea-where-the-water-mains-bobbie-thingie-tap* is.  Embarrassed Lips Sealed You are not alone, and thank Allah for people who actually do know.

I figured it was somewhere in our laundry (cuz thats where she took him?) so next time I will just point in that general direction  Cheesy

Can't do much I'm afraid...far too spoiled by having very DIY-savvy family members.

Salam
S. Cool
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2011 08:21 AM »

wsalam,

my dad is a total diy guy alhamdullah he can fix anything or build anything and even get rid of crazy animals! the heat up here lately even brought in a bat into our house!! ACK!! I don't think there's any DIY for that except a lot of screaming! alhamdulillah it went back out the front door.

akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2011 10:38 AM »

wsalam,

my dad is a total diy guy alhamdullah he can fix anything or build anything and even get rid of crazy animals! the heat up here lately even brought in a bat into our house!! ACK!! I don't think there's any DIY for that except a lot of screaming! alhamdulillah it went back out the front door.

lol Sis J, I am very bad with animals, I was bitten by a bandicoot last year Smiley

btw, is your Dad an engineer?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2011 11:41 AM »

salam

See this is my point entirely, on ones own, I feel I'm doing fairly well knowing the things I do know, it keeps the house from falling down around my ears and in all honesty the people I am paying to do the cloakroom should know where the water mains tap thingy is....as it happens they did, and the house is inshallah still standing after my fathers less than gentle ministrations!

Sr Jannah, if a bat flew into my house I'd just have to move out, I can't be dealing with nature inside my house, it stays firmly outside.... bleurrrggghhhh

I would like to point out here, that I really truly and honestly do not wish to know how to build a house from the ground up, I can put flat pack furtniture together and thats a far as I am willing to venture into building! I have a lot of architect friends tho, so I suppose if I ever need it I can call on them...and pay in cupcakes or something!!!!

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2011 04:03 PM »

wsalam,

what's a bandicoot  Shocked bats are scary because they most likely have rabies especially crazy ones that venture into ppl's houses! i heard a 6 year old got bitten near here and died Sad so we definitely have to be careful with wild animals!

sr fozia feeding helpers with cupcakes is a great idea Wink i think they once announced they were going to have biryani at the mosque for everyone who could help paint and a ton of young guys showed up lol!

my dad's a physicist but he's bought this house and others and always likes to fix them up on his own!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2011 06:15 PM »

Bandicoots are those large (7-8lb) rats that dig through the ground. Last summer was awfully hot so every night I left my door open for fresh air and one day a bandicoot strolled in and happily sunk its teeth into my hand which was dangling off the bed. The doc gave me anti rabies shots for a month after that. lol...everyone was laughing at me till a week after it happened Smiley
We have bats too, but thankfully our bats are better mannered than yours, they don't fly into people's homes like that unless they're invited. The neighborhood behind ours has monkeys and sometimes they run riot for food.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2011 06:32 PM »

salam

8lb rats  Shocked newborn babies aren't that big Shocked

Anyone ever watched that film 'Princess bride' now that had large rodents in it, I had nightmares for ages after seeing that part of the film.

Br Akhan you are not painting a terribly pleasant picture of your part of India!

Wassalaam

akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2011 07:10 PM »

Well, mine was the only case I've ever known about, that's why people were laughing at me (pharmacist, friends, grocery store guy..everybody).
Those rats usually come out in the rainy season because that's when their holes and tunnels get filled up with water. The summer dude was an exception. We always poison them but still, some remain.
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2011 08:58 AM »

Assalamu alaykum. 

There are some people in the world who are ' doers' & I like to think that I'm a doer! Alhamdulillah my dad taught us to be strong when we were young.. I watched my dad doing lots of DIY and helped him hold stuff in place. In lots of ways I'm very ladylike, but in others I guess I'm not. I'm tough like my dad lol. All I can say is Alhamdulillah for that! 
Not to boast, but I have built every piece of furniture in my house with the help of my female friend! She's like me, she watched & helped her dad even though she had a brother! I have four! Husbands & brother in laws are a waste of time in the DIY department in our family!

This is what we built, flat packed... But still impressive I think. 
•kids bunk bed
•double bed for us
•wardrobes & chest of drawers in all bedrooms
•sideboard
•bookshelf
•tv cabinet
•tall display cabinet
•dining table & all chairs
•coffee table & side table

Is there anything I've left out? Oh I'm a dab hand at gardening too and decorating. I've wallpapered rooms and painted from a very young age. My hands are working hands. Also sister Fozia, every single house I've lived in, I have known where the mains water taps are located. Even at my sister's when I stayed at hers for two & half weeks when she & her hubby went to Hajj. It took me a while to locate them. But the plumber guy DID NOT find them. I found them. Most of the time they're around the sink area in the kitchen. Other times, they're located in the bathroom, underneath or inside the bath.. Behind the bath panel! 

Note: look for pipes that connect to the sink taps.. That seem to extend somewhere. They usually have tiny taps attached somewhere along them! 

Makes you wonder.. Who needs a man?... Lol

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: