// New Yorkers on benefits face fizzy drinks ban
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Equality: The Prophet said: 'There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab, nor for a fair-skinned person over a person with dark skin, nor for a dark-skinned person over a person with fair skin. Whoever is more pious and God-fearing is more deserving of honour.' (Musnad Ahmad)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yorkers on benefits face fizzy drinks ban  (Read 1233 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 03, 2011 09:40 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Bad news for those Bebzi fans Wink  bebzi

The scary part of this story though is how many people have to claim food stamps in this day and age!!

New Yorkers on benefits face fizzy drinks ban

With a month to go before the height of summer, temperatures in New York are already hitting 30C (86F).

For Dennis, Johnson and Javii, playing basketball in the Bronx, it's the kind of weather for a refreshing fizzy drink.

"Soda's good for us," says Johnson.

Dennis is even sure fizzy drinks can help with medical problems: "If you have a stomach ache," he says, "What does your mom buy?"

He answers his own question: "Ginger ale, right? That's a soda."

Twenty-three-year-old Dominique Pleasant is sitting nearby with her two daughters. They're all drinking cans of cola.

Like more than a quarter of people in the Bronx, Dominique qualifies for food stamps.

"Food stamps is free money from the government to purchase food," she explains.

"It's for people on low incomes, single parent families like us or people that don't have a job."

'It's stupid'

It's estimated 1.7 million New Yorkers claim food stamps

Now the city's waiting to hear if the federal government in Washington will allow a ban on spending food stamps on fizzy drinks.

Health officials say it's to cut obesity and tackle illnesses like diabetes.

"I think it's stupid," says Dominique. "It makes no sense. The air we are breathing is bad but they aren't trying to stop that."

New York has seen a long line of moves lately to try to improve public health.

It's just banned smoking in public parks. Chain restaurants have to put calorie counts on menus.

There's been a series of hard-hitting adverts on local TV warning of the dangers of fizzy drinks.

Officials say it's about helping people make the right choices

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/13618342

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2011 08:44 PM »

wsalam,

I never heard of "fizzy drinks" until I went to syria and met some british sisters! Then I realized they're talking about "soda" which is what we call it or down south they call it "pop"!! I agree with cutting out soda for everyone, I think ppl can do it if they can find healthier alternatives like green tea (with no sugar) or water. It can be done ppl!!  bebzi
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2011 10:01 PM »

salam

But don't you find that green tea tastes like ditch water?

I don't like fizzy drinks much, but I do drink regular teas & about a million different variations of coffee.

Everything in moderation should be fine.

Btw, Flat pepsi by the teaspoon full is amazing at settling the stomach when you have a bout of vomitting!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2011 10:34 AM »

Yeah I hate green tea too.  After buying dozens of different types, I have realized I am a black tea gal. And I can drink THAT with no sugar or milk... but green tea makes me want to drink a fizzy drink to even it out.

I also love coke, but I no longer drink it, because I don't want my kids to drink any of that nonsense (which they dont, alhamdulillah). I make do with perrier (because I miss 'fizz') and coffee when I need to. 
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2011 08:18 PM »

This would be good if you can exchange it with something like toilet paper, a necessity that is not food
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2011 02:42 PM »

Sad truth is that some people don't really need the food stamps but have figured out a way to scam the system. Horrible, when those that need it , dont always get it. Bottom line, I agree, so many people should not need them in this day....

With that said, drink water. NYC water is some of the best in the word. 

I love juice. Got some fresh carrot juice from this store near at work the other day. Surprised that i didnt turn orange. Alhamdulilah for that.

And yes, I love me some watermelon. I'm a bit surprised that it originates from Egypt! Nice.

Bottoms up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: