Madinat al-Muslimeen CommunityBeyond City LifeThe Silk RoadIslamic PoetryTopic: Muslim Wisdom
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Muslim Wisdom  (Read 46616 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2008 03:13 PM »

In separation from God you have become arrogant; pay heed before His scourge strikes you down. Do not exult because of your good fortune. Over and again God admonishes you with the examples of the transgressors before you. If you really want to enjoy the limitless bounty of Allah, surrender yourselves before His will and endure all afflictions with fortitude.

-Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jillani, "Fayuz E Yazdani"

From "The Bounty of Allah," translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed. Copyright 1999.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2008 08:04 PM »

A man went back to transgressing after he had sincerely asked forgiveness of God and swore never to sin again. "How will God forgive me this time?" he asked in despair. A heavenly voice responded, "You obeyed Me and I made amends for you, then you abandoned Me and I indulged you, and now that you returned to Me I shall receive you."

[Al-Hujwiri in "The Kashf al-Mahjub"]

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2008 08:06 PM »

"In order to think about God, you may compare him with other beings; but remember that he is incomparable. In this way you will live in the house of truth."

[Ibn Arabi in "Fusus al-hikam"]

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2008 08:07 PM »

"As you recollect all that God has granted you which you have desired for yourself, so you should endure patiently with God in that through which God desires to try you."

[Ibn Ata'Allah rahimahull'ah]

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2008 08:09 PM »

“Excessiveness in worship is prohibited (in Islam) just like delaying it (an obligatory act past its obligatory time such as missing a prayer). Moderation is taking from both positions (a balance between rigidness and hyper liberalism) as this is the best of affairs as the Prophet : The best of affairs are the moderate ones. (related by al-bayhaqi in a mursal form) Allah [the Most High] says, And they who when they spend, are neither extravagant nor miserly, and (keep) between these just means [Chapter 25/67] also, …. and do not utter your prayer with a very raised voice nor be silent with regard to it, and seek a way between these. [chapter 17/110]. The Prophet  said, As for me, I pray (the night vigil) and I sleep, I fast and I break my fast. [a sound hadith] Thus, the Prophet would pray for half of the night, a third or two thirds. And the night prayer of the Prophet  was equal to half of the night in comparison to one who prayed the whole night or one who slept through it. Also, the Prophet guided ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amir bin al’Aas towards moderation by encouraging him to fast half of the time, pray half of the night and finish the Qur’an in seven days etc. Thus, moderation is a must for every desired issue, because it is easier on the soul and facilitates the sustainment of worship.”

[Ahmad Zarruq,"Qawa’id al-Tasawwuf"]

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2008 06:53 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Jazakhallah khair for posting the above on moderation Sr Siham, I was thinking about exactly the same thing recently.

As an aside, if any of you haven't got a copy of the Poor Man's Book of Assistance CD Series by Hamza Yusuf where he provides commentary on Ahmad Zurruq's book, I would *highly* recommend it.

In particular CD 5 where he talks about how to maintain taubah and not allowing oneself to slip back into bad habits.

Very relevant for these post Ramadhan days of ours.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2008 09:00 PM »

When you purify your hearts just as you purify your raiment, union with God will follow. You cannot become a Sufi by merely wearing coarse woolen shirts and following strict ritual, pretending to be pious while inside your hearts you bear malice and avarice. A real Sufi has attained a state of perfection on the inside. If you sincerely seek union with God, then seek Him inside your hearts and leave the world alone.

-Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jillani, “Fayuz E Yazdani”

From "The Bounty of Allah," translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed.

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2008 09:04 PM »

O Beloved of hearts, I beseech only You.
Have pity this day on those who turn to You.
My Hope, my Rest, my Delight,
this heart can love none other but You.

-Rabi'a, "Rabia the Mystic"

Translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed.

The Almighty Allah says,

hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2008 08:08 PM »

Those who joyfully leave everything in ALLAH's hand..
will eventually see ALLAH's hand in everything..

because worries end..
where faith begins..

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #34 on: Oct 27, 2008 06:33 PM »

Imam Al-Ghazali (may God's mercy be on him) wrote in his book The Beginning of Guidance:

"You should not neglect your time or use it haphazardly; on the contrary you should bring yourself to account, structure your litanies and other practices during each day and night, and assign to each period a fixed and specific function. This is how to bring out the spiritual blessing (baraka) in each period. But if you leave yourself adrift, aimlessly wandering as cattle do, not knowing how to occupy yourself at every moment, your time will be lost. It is nothing other than your life, and your life is the capital that you make use of to reach perpetual felicity in the proximity of God the Exalted. Each of your breaths is a priceless jewel, since each of them is irreplaceable and, one gone, can never be retrieved. Do not be like the deceived fools who are joyous because each day their wealth increases while their life shortens. What good is an increase in wealth when life grows ever shorter? Therefore be joyous only for an increase in knowledge or in good works, for they are your two companions who will accompany you in your grave when your family, wealth, children, and friends stay behind."

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #35 on: Oct 27, 2008 06:34 PM »

In the dead of night, a Sufi began to weep.
He said, "This world is like a closed coffin, in which
We are shut and in which, through our ignorance,
We spend our lives in folly and desolation.
When Death comes to open the lid of the coffin,
Each one who has wings will fly off to Eternity,
But those without will remain locked in the coffin.
So, my friends, before the lid of this coffin is taken off,
Do all you can to become a bird of the Way to God;
Do all you can to develop your wings and your feathers."

{Shaykh Farid Din Attar in 'Perfume of the Desert'}

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2008 05:32 PM »

"Prayer is the pillar of every pious person; Pilgrimage is the Jihad of every weak one; the Zakat of the body is fasting; and the one who asks for Allah's grants without performing good deeds is like one trying to shoot an arrow without a bow."

(Imam Jafar as-Sadiq)

Halima
Sis

« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2008 06:02 PM »

Since the dawn of human consciousness, religion has been the mightiest force driving humankind toward an unknown goal. It has allowed the teeming millions to experience a greater joy and a creative fervor; it has furnished them with the strength and the courage to achieve imperishable cultural feats and enabled them to reach unimaginable spiritual heights.

-Muhammad Asad Loepold Weiss, "Islamic Sufism"

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2008 06:07 PM »

Once Ibrahim bin Adham saw a stone with the inscription, "Turn me over and read!" When he did an inscription appeared: "You do not practice what you know. Why do you seek what you do not know?"

-Al-Hujwiri, "The Kashf al-Mahjub"

The Almighty Allah says,

timbuktu
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2008 02:46 PM »

peace be upon you

A very good collection there, for the soul.

A little correction here. Perhaps the original book carries this mistake: Al-Hajwiri should actually read "Syed Ali Hajwiri", the author of "Kashful Mehjoob", perhaps the most famous Sufi buried at Lahore, Pakistan. The place attributed to his burial (he is actually buried elsewhere) is a major attraction for people. He (and by association, the place attributed for his burial) is commonly known as "Data Ganj Baksh" although that, in my humble opinion, is a misnomer, as Data means giver, and ganj menas treasure.
Halima
Sis

« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2008 10:49 AM »

God has the power to touch the heart of the sinner, to turn him away from his wicked ways.

-Rabi'a, "Rabi'a the Mystic"

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2008 10:51 AM »

In separation from God you have become arrogant; pay heed before His scourge strikes you down. Do not exult because of your good fortune. Over and again God admonishes you with the examples of the transgressors before you. If you really want to enjoy the limitless bounty of Allah, surrender yourselves before His will and endure all afflictions with fortitude.

-Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jillani, "Fayuz E Yazdani"

The Almighty Allah says,

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2008 07:02 PM »

"To show compassion to the wicked is to oppress the righteous; to pardon oppressors is to tyrannize the oppressed."

-Sadi, "Gulistan"

nameeman
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
nameeman has no influence :(

« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2008 05:44 AM »

Imam Bayhaqi quotes in his Shu`ab al-Iman, with his chain of transmission, that Yahya ibn Mu`adh al-Razi said:

"What a difference between one who seeks a dinner for the dinner and one who seeks to attend the dinner in order to meet their beloved at the dinner!"

[Bayhaqi, Shu`ab al-Iman]

http://www.seekersdigest.org/levels-of-seeking-in-the-hereafter-yahya-ibn-muadh-al-razi.html

Yahya ibn Mu`adh teaches in one sentence:

- sidq min ikhlaas fil Hubb wa 'Iraadah (the Qalb being the seat of both)

- what Ra'abiyah meant with:
"O Allah! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell,
and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.
But if I worship You for Your Own sake,
grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.”
nameeman
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
nameeman has no influence :(

« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2008 05:45 AM »

" ... The noblest sort, of Love is that which exists between persons who love each other in God
either because of an identical zeal for the righteous work upon which they are engaged,
or as the result of a harmony in sectarian belief and principles,
or by virtue of a common possession of some noble knowledge... "

- Ibn Hazm, Tawq al-Hamamah (The Dove's Necklace or The Ring of the Dove)

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/hazm/dove/pe.html
http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/hazm/dove/index.html
Halima
Sis

« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2008 04:45 PM »

A Sufi was once engaged in prayer, when his cell caught fire. He did not stop praying for one moment. Afterwards, people asked him about this. He replied: ‘The divine fire held my attention, so I could not attend to the fire in my cell.’

-Qushayri, "Risalah"

From "366 Readings From Islam," translated by Robert Van der Weyer.

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2008 05:00 PM »

Strengthen me, my lord,
for I am overcome with feebleness.
Ennoble me once more,
for I have been cast down.
Sustain me, Lord,
for I am impoverished.

-From the prayer book, "Al-Hizbul-A'zam"

The Almighty Allah says,

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2008 03:34 PM »

"One sign that the heart has died is not regretting advantages one has missed while feeling nothing for one's evil deeds. " (Ibn `Ata' Allah al-Iskandari )

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2008 03:36 PM »

"There is no nourishment in food for the spirit, for it sustains physical forms. But the sustenance of the spirit and the heart is the remembrance of God, the Knower of the Invisible." (Ibn Ata'Allah)

Halima
Sis

« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2008 08:57 AM »

Lord, forgive us our transgressions.
Help us remain steadfast.
We seek Your support against the transgressors.

-From the prayer book "Al-Hizbul-A'zam"

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
 Madinat al-Muslimeen CommunityBeyond City LifeThe Silk RoadIslamic PoetryTopic: Muslim Wisdom
Jump to: