// Iran says FIFA’s headscarf ban 'inhumane'
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "The world is a bridge; so pass over it to the next world, but do not try to build on it." - Jesus (Peace be upon him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran says FIFA’s headscarf ban 'inhumane'  (Read 1774 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 09, 2011 01:03 PM »

Iran says FIFA’s headscarf ban 'inhumane'

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad described FIFA as “colonialists” on Tuesday for a headscarf ban in football that affect its women’s team.

Mustafa Musleh Zadeh, Iran’s ambassador to Jordan, went further by saying the ban was “inhumane” and “politically motivated.” The remarks by Ahmadinejad were the highest since the team forfeited a 2012 Olympic qualifier against Jordan last Friday because it wouldn’t play without the hijabs.

“Theses are the dictators and colonialists who want to impose their lifestyle on others,” Ahmadinejad said in a seasonal news conference.

The Iran president said he’d assigned Ali Saeedlu, the head of Iran’s physical education, to pursue the case.

“We will deal with those who carried out this ugly job,” said Ahmadinejad. “We follow definite rights of our girls.” Zadeh said Iran would complain to the Asian Football Federation.

FIFA said the ban on the Islamic scarf covering a women’s neck was for safety reasons.

The ambassador called FIFA’s ban “extremism,” similar to Afghanistan’s Taleban restrictions on women in sports.

FIFA banned the hijab in 2007 and has extended the safety rule to include neck warmers.

At the 2010 Youth Olympics, Iran’s girls protected their modesty by covering their hair with specially designed caps

http://arabnews.com/sports/article450250.ece

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2011 01:41 PM »

salam

So the headcoverings were allowed in the 2010 Olympics and now FIFA has seen fit to ban them....

This is blatent Islamophobia, it is calculated to humiliate and single out Muslims. Can you imagine if they decided on a no black players, or no women or similar.....they would never be allowed to get away with it.

They ask us why we don't assimilate and treat the west like home, perhaps its becasue we are constantly treated like pariahs, singled out and our rights systematically stripped at each and every turn.

Perhaps its about time FIFA had a rival governing football body for Muslim countries....of course that would then entail an expectation of the muslim countries working together and improving their game such that they become serious contenders.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2011 03:42 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Apparently FIFA banned the hijab and the recent neck warmers ('snoods') because they were considered dangerous and could lead to hanging.

Footballers have been known to die via heart attacks or sometimes swallowing their tongue but, seriously, death by hijab Huh?

Those hijab pins must be a lot more deadly than we previously thought Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2011 05:56 PM »

salam

I'm sure if we thought about it enough we could justify banning the ball, it really could be a dangerous life threatening missile, should it hit a person in the right spot I'm sure it could kill.....lets ban the ball who supports my petition in this Roll Eyes

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2011 06:17 PM »

BrKhalid, you can swallow your own tongue? Huh?
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2011 04:22 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

BrKhalid, you can swallow your own tongue?

The medical guys on the board could explain to us what it means to 'swallow your own tongue' but it is not uncommon for players in football to experience it especially when involved in rough challenges.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2011 05:45 PM »

wsalam,

This is a similar story about my friend kulsi, i think she was on the board at one time username kulsoom or kulsi?? She's awesome mashaAllah but it's really unfortunate they won't let her play. Some people seem to think that certain clothing can let ppl cheat by inserting supports or something//?? But really why don't they just check them or something Sad

------------------------

An Atlanta athlete may have single-handedly set in motion a change in international rules governing how Islamic women may dress in at least one popular sport -- weightlifting.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-weightlifters-plight-over-972343.html

Kulsoom Abdullah sets the weights for her workout. She has been declared ineligible to compete in national competitions because of her Islamic dress.

The case of Kulsoom Abdullah, a Georgia Tech graduate who wears a hijab and trains as a weightlifter,  has attracted the attention of not only a Washington-based  Muslim civil rights and advocacy group, but also the U.S. Olympic Committee.

The USOC has asked the International Weightlifting Federation to review its rules on athletes' dress after Abdullah was declared ineligible to compete in national competitions because of her attire.  The IWF's technical committee has set the review for June 26 in Penang, Malaysia, and its executive board is expected to consider the matter the next day.

USOC spokesman Mark Jones said the review is not just on behalf of Abdullah but athletes in general. "The key from our perspective is that we want to include every athlete we can [in competitions]," Jones said.

Abdullah, who competes in the 48kg and 53kg weight class  in women's senior division weightlifting, claims USA Weightlifting, one of the many sporting associations under the USOC umbrella,  prevented her from participating in a December national competition in Ohio  and will not allow her to compete in another competition in July in Iowa because she wanted to wear a hijab, which can cover a woman's hair and body but leave her her face, hands and feet exposed.  The 35-year-old woman, who holds a doctorate in electrical computer engineering from Tech, competes in the women's senior division.

Abdullah began weightlifting as an exercise routine a few years ago.  "It was just something for fun,"  she said. "It gave me something to achieve as a goal."  She teamed up with a trainer and set her sights on competing, training five to six days a week. "I just kept working out," said Abdullah, who moved to Atlanta from Florida in 1999. "I have the endurance and the strength to compete."  She entered competitions last year in Flowery Branch, Newnan, Gainesville, Savannah and South Carolina.

Abdullah said she covered her body during those local competitions and met no resistance from weightlifting officials.  But USA Weightlifting follows rules set by the International Weightlifting Federation, which says athlete's outfits must be close-fitting, have no collar and  must not cover  the elbows and knees.

Abdullah's plight has gained the attention of the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"No athlete should be forced to choose between faith and sport,"   CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad wrote in a letter to USOC Chief Executive Officer Scott Blackmun. "Muslim women seek to participate in all aspects of American society, including sporting activities, and should not face artificial and arbitrary barriers to that participation."

CAIR cites the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, which it says  requires that USA Weightlifting not discriminate based on "‘race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin."  The group says Abdullah must be given ‘fair notice and opportunity for a hearing" before declaring  her ineligible to compete based on her dress.

This isn't the first time Islamic women athletes have been declared ineligible to compete because of their dress.  Just last  week, Iran's women's soccer team was disqualified during an Olympic qualifying competition against Jordan after athletes wore a full-body outfit with a head scarf. As a result, the soccer team will not be allowed to compete in London.

Gadeir Abbas, an attorney for the Islamic council, said U.S. Olympic officials could be an advocate for more tolerance when it comes to attire for Islamic women athletes.

"The idea of the Olympics is that competitors from all across the world can get together and compete," Abbas said. "Instituting regulations that exclude women of the Islamic world seems to be the antithesis of what the Olympics is all about."

Abdullah, who welcomed the IWF's decision to review is rules on weightlifting dress, said she'll continue her intensive training whatever the outcome.

"I've just been taking it one step at a time," said Abdullah, who was born in the U.S. to Pakistani parents.  "It'll [change in rules] definitely help others if there are other women of faith who want to get in the sport."
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2011 04:11 PM »

wsalam,

kulsi's blog... http://www.liftingcovered.com/ very interesting mashaAllah!
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2011 08:57 PM »

salam

A hijabi soccer ref has been suspended from working at a Montreal soccer association.  If sponsors had a spine, they would pull out their support and pressure a reversal of a racist and stupid decision.

----
Quebec soccer ref in hijab thrown off pitch

Soccer referee Sarah Benkirane has been told she can no longer work for Quebec's Lac St. Louis Regional Soccer Association because she wears a hijab.

The 15-year-old has been refereeing games on Montreal's West Island and Vaudreuil, which is located just off the island, for the past two years but was informed by association officials that she had been cut as a referee because of rules prohibiting religious garments on the pitch.

"I always felt like I was equal growing up in Canada, so I don't understand why they're going to take this right away from me," said Benkirane, who has worn a hijab since she was 12.

The teen said a complaint was made to the association, which led to the loss of her summer job.

The Lac St. Louis Regional Soccer Association told CBC it follows the rules laid out by the Quebec Soccer Federation and referred all questions to that group.

In a statement released Monday, the Quebec Soccer Federation said it upholds Rule 4 set out by FIFA, the international soccer governing body, which prohibits religious statements in team uniforms.

"The situation is clear," the statement reads. "Wearing a hijab is not allowed on Quebec's soccer fields just as necklaces, earrings, rings are prohibited, and we will follow the rule until FIFA says otherwise."

But Benkirane said the reasons given to her by her soccer association are not acceptable.

"Rules are rules and we have to follow them, but as society changes we have to adapt these rules," she said.

In February 2007, five teams from across Canada walked out of a soccer tournament in Laval, Que., because a Muslim girl was ejected for wearing a hijab. FIFA upheld its rule banning the hijab the following week.

The province's soccer federation said Tuesday that Canada's parallel organization also follows the FIFA rule prohibiting the hijab, and to change the rules, Benkirane would have to address the world soccer association.

Earlier this month, FIFA upheld a decision to prevent Iran's women's team from playing a 2012 Olympic qualifier game wearing head scarves.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/06/21/quebec-soccer-referee-hijab.html
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2011 11:34 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

If sponsors had a spine, they would pull out their support and pressure a reversal of a racist and stupid decision

Unfortunately all that sponsors seem to care about is their bottom line.

If we had more ethically aware sponsors, I wonder if we would get more ethically aware individuals?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2011 06:42 PM »

More on Kulsoom. The pictures look really nice. Hope this spreads dawah in a good way!! Add some supportive comment for the bigots if u have a min!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43527580/ns/world_news-americas/

Also a story about a Muslim sister who is a fencer!!  Shocked  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304569504576404011992467534.html
moderatesufi
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011 09:08 PM »

Question?
Do the clothes they wear currently meet the criteria of Khimar and Jilbab?

I really think we Muslims should organise our own female sports. Done in a truly hallal way.
Here in the UK we can book sports centres for Muslim women only activities.
And near enough every place has women only seasons anyway, where the rules on hijab don't apply as much.

What I think we should have is MMA style training seasons for Muslim women. Where they can learn mixed martial arts.

There are female instructors that can be hired, or some of the brothers can teach their wives who can in turn teach other women.

I asked for wing chun for women to be set up in our Muslim community centre. A brother was OK with sending his wife in to train women. I think it was a flop, not sure many if any women were interested.

If such things are going to be successful, maybe it will only happen when it comes from Muslim women themselves.
When they decide they want to be healthy and work out.
Men can put the training and halls in place, but if no women turn up, its all worthless.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2011 07:42 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/weightlifting-group-allows-woman-wear-hijab-unitard-competitions-134033332.html

SisJ, your friend "Kulsi" Tongue has been cleared Smiley good news for all muslims I suppose Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2011 06:37 AM »

wsalam,

wow!!! that is definitely good news!!! not something i'd choose for myself, or her really but it's something she wants to do and i think it's awesome that they are going to accommodate muslim dress.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2011 08:34 AM »

salams,

came in 5th!! but definitely a victory for muslim women into sports!

Competing While Covered Is a First for a U.S. Event

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Kulsoom Abdullah became the first woman to compete in the United States weight lifting championships while wearing clothing that covered her legs, arms and head.

Abdullah was cleared to compete at the championships in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in accordance with her Muslim faith after the International Weightlifting Federation ruled two weeks ago that athletes could wear a full-body “unitard” under the customary uniform. I.W.F. rules previously stated that a weight lifter’s knees and elbows had to be visible so officials could determine if a lift was correctly executed. On Friday, Abdullah, a 35-year-old from Atlanta who weighed in at 105 pounds, finished fifth out of six competitors in her weight class.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: