// Summer Treats!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: 'Work for your terrestrial life in proportion to your location in it, and work for your afterlife in proportion to your eternity in it. - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Treats!  (Read 1252 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 07, 2011 06:23 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

A good substitute for fizzy drinks in the summer is a nice, cool, sweet, juicy, (insert additional appropriate adjectives) watermelon. bro

So here's some rather interesting watermelon trivia I came across:

Watermelon Trivia

Watermelons are around 92% water

Ancient travelers used them as an easily transportable container of water

Watermelon's official name is Citrullus lanatus. It belongs to the botanical family Curcurbitacae and is related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash

We have archaelogical proofs that the first watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt

Although we commonly refer to them as fruits, they are really a vegetable. [Okay how many of you knew that?]

In Japan, it's common for supermarkets to offer cube-shaped watermelons: they are grown in special cubic containers and their price is usually at least twice that of a normal watermelon

There are over 1,200 varieties of watermelons, including some with yellow flesh, and others with blood-like stains in the outer rind

The word "watermelon" first appeared in the English dictionary in 1615

The 1998 Guinness Book of Records reports that the largest watermelon was grown in 1990 by Bill Carson, of Arrington, Tennessee, and weighed 262 pounds

According to history sources, a watermelon was thrown at Roman Governor Demosthenes during a political debate: he placed the watermelon upon his head, thanking the thrower for providing him with a helmet to wear as he fought Philip of Macedonia

The first cookbook published in the United States in 1796 contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles

In China and Japan, watermelons are a common gift to offer your host

Watermelons are often eaten with feta cheese in Israel and Egypt

Every part of a watermelon is edible, even the seeds and rinds: seeds are a common snack food in China (and they're often roasted) while rind is used to make jams

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2011 07:45 PM »

wsalam,

I LOVE watermelons!! Does anyone know how to tell the different varieties apart and if it'll be sweet or not. It's like a hit or miss jackpot when u buy one. Sometimes its yummy and sweet and sometimes it's just blah.

Maybe we should pull this out into it's own thread about summer foods!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2011 01:23 PM »

Salaams,

Over here they cut and show you how Watermelon looks from inside, before you actually buy it. Some even ask you to taste it before buying, so the consumer more-often-than-not is sure of its sweetness.

I often have green tea with lemon, but I can not stand black tea or black coffee, they have such 'kerwa karaila' type taste for me.

Here are a few juices I like best in summer:

1. Strawberry juice
2. Falsa (Grewia?) Juice
3. Peach Juice made with Fantaaaaahhhhh
4. Mango juice (We have like 5-7 types of mangoes here)

And then there are a variety of Milk Shakes bebzi

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2011 03:09 PM »

I LOVE watermelons!! Does anyone know how to tell the different varieties apart and if it'll be sweet or not. It's like a hit or miss jackpot when u buy one. Sometimes its yummy and sweet and sometimes it's just blah.

Maybe we should pull this out into it's own thread about summer foods!

I can tell which one's sweet and which one's not Smiley Not just by looking though, you have to tap it and the sweet ones give out a particular kind of sound. You can't learn it overnight though. One more benefit of living in third world country, with so many people trying to fleece you, you find out ways to tell the good from the bad.

My summer treats are usually lassi and faluda. You guys know what those are?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2011 05:00 PM »

wsalam,

tap it//? hmm ok *jannah tries punching watermelons next time at the grocery store!

lala ur water tastes good bc u guys take it from us upstate!! just hearing from u makes me want to visit nyc!! anything exciting coming up/?

ok my favorite summer treats

1. soft serve ice cream
2. watermelon
3. ras malai (all those summer weddings!0
4. mangoes
5. corn
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2011 05:10 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Lassi and mangoes are good and mango lassi even better!! bro

Grapes seems to taste much better in the summer as do melons and of course with Wimbledon and Royal Ascot coming up one can't forget a nice bowl of strawberries and cream!! Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2011 07:23 PM »

i forgot to add cantaloupe!!
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2011 09:16 PM »

salaam,

nice picture watermelon-head..lol

Anyway is there anything exciting here in nyc...to my standards probably not. There is some MCN (muslim consultative network) fundraising dinner on Sunday though that people are going to. I"m not sure what's going down there. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted. You could just come to just chill.

And Yes, the croton water system is that good Upstate h2O Smiley haha NYS has good water. I rephrased.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2011 08:49 AM »

ws,

lol i had second thoughts and deleted it. yes chilling is good! a summer's day in nyc so nice! i feel like i've done everything though? but that can'tttt possibly be true  Wink when's the new islamic wing opening at the met? speaking of the best summer treats... down there is yummy mango or pistachio kulfis in jackson heights, soft serve ice cream on coney island, and those yummy cupcakes in manhattan! haagen daz even sells some kind of mango ice cream in the bodegas down there it doesn't sell anywhere else!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: