Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New elements added to chemistry's periodic table  (Read 1014 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 13, 2011 10:45 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

This story is interesting in terms of highlighting the idea of known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns!!

New elements added to chemistry's periodic table

Two new elements have been added to the periodic table after a three-year review by the governing bodies of chemistry and physics.

The elements are currently unnamed, but they are both highly radioactive and exist for less than a second before decaying into lighter atoms.

The table is the official compendium of known elements, organised according to properties of their atomic structure.

Details have been published in the journal Pure and Applied Chemistry.

The review was conducted by a joint working party of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) and the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP).

In recent years, there have been several claims by laboratories for the discovery of new chemical elements at positions 113, 114, 115, 116 and 118 on the periodic table.

The working party concluded that elements 114 and 116 fulfilled criteria for official inclusion in the table. The others, as yet, do not.

The new elements have temporary titles of ununquadium and ununhexium, but final names have yet to be settled on.

The discovery of both elements has been credited to a collaborative team based at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna, Russia, and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13699575

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011 01:57 PM »

i'm just baffled by the boring names. can't they be a little more creative.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011 03:41 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The new elements have temporary titles of ununquadium and ununhexium, but final names have yet to be settled on

I'm equally baffled as to how you pronounce these new elements:

Un-un-quadium, Un-un-hexium ?

You-nun-quadium, You-nun-hexium ?

Unun-quadium, Unun-hexium?

The only common denominator seems to be that if you don't know what to call something you stick an 'um' at the end Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2011 04:04 PM »

wsalam,

very bad news as i've yet to memorize the first periodic table!!! i think i hated chemistry the most out of all subjects in high school1!!!

teacher
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2011 05:25 PM »

ugh..what are they gonna do with elements that only last for a few seconds?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: