Madinat al-Muslimeen CommunityBeyond City LifeThe Silk RoadIslamic PoetryTopic: no time
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: no time  (Read 4387 times)
sahira
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sahira has no influence :(

« on: Mar 02, 2008 05:31 PM »

I knelt to pray but not for long,
I had too much to do.
I had to hurry and get to work
For bills would soon be due.
So I knelt and said a hurried prayer,
And jumped up off my knees.
My Muslim duty was now done
My soul could rest at ease.
All day long I had no time
To spread a word of cheer.
No time to speak of Allah to friends,
They'd laugh at me I'd fear.
No time, no time, too much to do,
That was my constant cry,
No time to give to souls in need
But at last the time, the time to die.
I went before the Lord,
I came, I stood with downcast eyes.
For in his hands God held a book;
It was the book of life.
God looked into his book and said
Your name I cannot find.
I once was going to write it down...
But never found the time'
ume bilal
Sis

Reputation Power: 9
ume bilal has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008 11:01 PM »

Assalamo Ailkum.
This made me think, a beautiful poem that "says it all".
Salaams.
JJ
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008 06:59 PM »

I loved the poem but just had a quick question out of interest:

God looked into his book and said
Your name I cannot find.
I once was going to write it down...
But never found the time

Are we allowed to write things like that...attributing to God what He has not said?

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008 11:25 PM »

Poetry is always metaphorical. After all the author didn't really "do" all those other things either. So never take it literally.  oldshaykh
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008 08:03 AM »

Ah. OK. *smacks forehead*

Thanks, Jannah!

flowersis
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008 08:17 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

on the one hand I totally agree with jannah about not taking poetry too literally; I was just listening to a CD by Sh. Mokhtar Maghraoui on love for the Prophet saw, and he mentions some really beautiful lines from the famous Qasidat al-Burda praising Rasulullah saw.  He happens to mention a line about which there is some 'controversy', and he says basically the same thing -- that when it comes to poetry and talk of the heart, sometimes the emotions are so intense that they may be expressed in words that should not be taken literally, and should be understood in a more figurative or metaphorical way; and if they *were* to be taken literally they would be improper or incorrect.  It's not like Quran, where we *have* to accept the words as they are written both in a literal sense and on deeper levels... we can be more philosophical about it Smiley

He mentions a story he once heard from one of his teachers -- that in the time of the Prophet Sulayman (alayhis salaam) there were two little birds sitting on a tree (and Sulayman alayhis salaam was blessed with the ability to understand the speech of animals and birds).  So the husband-bird starts, like, trying to sweet talk the wife-bird, so he's telling her, 'If you remain by my side and go with me to such and such place I will bring you so many treasures, I will even bring you the very throne of the Prophet Solomon!'  So the Prophet Sulayman alayhis salam calls the husband bird to him and asks him, 'Are you saying untruthful words about me to your wife!'  And the bird says, basically, Ya sayyidi, these are words of the heart, they are not to be taken literally... Wink 

So I'm down with this idea, especially when it comes to poets such as Rumi or others who are discussing things on a totally spiritual level and are using worldly objects to try to express those feelings or ideas. 

but, one thing I don't like is when Christian poetry is made 'Muslim', like the word God is replaced with 'Allah' but it's the same ideas and it's pretty clear that it has sort of a Christian feel to it... that's how I feel about this poem, no offense  Embarrassed

Allahu 'alam,

bebzi
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008 10:42 PM »

walaikum salam wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

"For in his hands God held a book; God looked into his book"

Allah, the All-Knowing, does not need to look into a book.

Actually, on the Day of Judgment Allah will hold the heavens as a rolled up scroll in His Right Hand, and the Hell Fire will be blazing, and it will complain to Allah saying: "Parts of me are destroying other parts."  And Allah will stomp the fire with His Foot.

Some people mention that poetry is meant to be metaphorical.  This is fine with worldly things, but when it comes to describing the attributes of Allah, that is a dangerous innovation.  In Arabic, this is called Tashbeeh.  It is forbidden to make Tashbeeh with Allah, because of the verse (translation of meaning):

"There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Seeing."

Perhaps one day some Muslims will say, "What is wrong with saying God has a son, it is only metaphorical."  May Allah protect us!

We should not attribute to Allah false descriptions based on our thinking and imagination.  That is how past nations made innovations in the religion.  The attributes of Allah are only known through revelation.

I am just conveying the knowledge.  I am only sent as a reminder, and not a compeller.

And Allah knows better.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008 07:22 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

jazak Allahu khayraa, that is a good pt. to keep in mind as well, especially when related to attributes/descriptions of Allah (swt).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 Madinat al-Muslimeen CommunityBeyond City LifeThe Silk RoadIslamic PoetryTopic: no time
Jump to: