Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Double, double toil and tazkiyah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ethical dilemma  (Read 908 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 16, 2011 02:50 PM »

A friend confides in you that 20 years ago he once held up a convenience store because he was going through a hard time and needed the money desperately.

He got away and was never identified or prosecuted.

You realise from the circumstances that the owner of the store suffered stress from the incident and subsequently died and was actually the father of another close friend of yours.

This friend has been searching for 20 years for his father's 'killer' and has vowed vengeance if he should ever find him

What do you do?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2011 05:01 PM »

wsalam,

(hmmm is this part of a bollywood screenplay ur writing brkhalid ;0 ) i hope it's not a real story! but life has been known to be stranger than fiction eh. i'd say a third party shouldn't get involved and reveal someone else's sin. if the one who held up the grocery store wants to repent and make restitution he can do that, even secretly if he wishes. although of course he will still be responsible on the day of j for driving someone to their death. by tawbah and restitution now maybe Allah will be more merciful to him. the friend who's father died should of course not seek vengeance but justice and perhaps telling him who it is might cause him to commit more harm on someone else.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2011 07:57 PM »

salam

I'd actually review my "friendship" with that person who committed a crime ...and say that I know who they robbed and how their action affected other people's lives. 

Yeah, and I might go as far as give clues to the other friend about who robbed his father's store ... why should that "friend" get away with crime that destroyed a person's life??   It would be better to convince this  supposed friend who committed the crime to find a way to compensate the family of the owner of the store, even if anonymously.

I can be forgiving with personal matters, i.e. when someone wrongs me I have the option to forgive them and I often do. But when it involves others, it is not my call anyone. 

nice plot though, fit for a movie or a novel ...
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2011 12:55 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

And I thought the idea of all the characters actually being triplets separated at birth would be so original Wink

But on a serious note, how does one even begin to answer these dilemmas without a framework of principles and guidelines?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2011 02:31 AM »

What does 'vowed vengeance' mean? Is he going to do something that will ruin his own life?

I don't think I would disclose this information, especially 20 years later. Probably encourage one friend to repent big time, and the other to forgive. Just my opinion.

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2011 04:35 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

What does 'vowed vengeance' mean? Is he going to do something that will ruin his own life?

Very good question!

To what extent should our actions be determined by what we *think* someone else will do?

It also highlights the fact that sometimes being a victim of oppression can be a huge test and, if handled wrongly, can lead one into a worse state than the original offending party.

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2011 06:32 AM »

Silence in this case I think is not an offence.

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2011 12:01 PM »

agreed with jaihoon. what's done is done - you shouldn't provoke another involved party to commit yet another crime. and the one who has wronged - he always has taubah, and anonymous compensation is not a bad idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: