// Saudi Arabia - women drivers?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Chi trova un amico, trova un tesoro." ("He who finds a friend finds a treasure") - Italian Proverb
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia - women drivers?  (Read 1146 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: Jun 18, 2011 01:01 PM »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I never thought I'd see the day.  And I haven't seen anyone with my own two eyes yet (or met anyone else that has), but apparently, they're driving.

Good for them. It's ridiculously barbaric to not let women drive.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2011 02:42 PM »

salam

About timeeeeeeeee! I heard that  in some compounds women can drive. Nothing recent, it has been going on for sometime depending on the compound.  For sure on the campus grounds of KAUST, women do drive. 

The ban on driving stems from the ultra conservative culture of SA.  Some women will not still not drive because they see it as a break from tradition.  I don't know, there are pros an cons to every culture.   Things do change, not necessarily for the better all the time.

wassalam
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2011 03:33 PM »

Yeah I live in a compound where women can drive too... in a compound where anyone wearing a niqaab is banned from entering again, in a compound where saudis cannot enter unless they have special permission, where they have yearly "home made beer" contests.

There isn't anything that can justify this kind of duplicity.

The argument is that they are too conservative to let their women drive, but not too conservative to let them roam around with non-mahram drivers.

Misdirected religiosity. But who's asking me.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2011 06:55 PM »

Compounds are exempt from kingdom law. Our compound is no different but none of the women drove. Although, some do go around in bikinis, to and from the swimming pool. The white race gets away with everything, everywhere.
moderatesufi
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2011 10:07 AM »

I would have thought it would be better to ban women from being alone in a car with a non-muhram male driver?
Even though I think women are rubbish at driving.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2011 11:23 AM »

salam

In the UK, women are recognised as better drivers, they are less prone to accidents and therefore had lower insurance premiums.
However due the human rights of the boy racer types (all men just so we're clear), insurance premiums are set to be levelled out for everyone, so women will now be penalise for the horrendous driving of a lot of men.

The simplest method for the women in KSA to be allowed to drive would be to point blank refuse to go out to run every day errands, I was married to a guy who wouldnt let me drive, so each evening before he came home from work I'd send him a list of items I needed for the house, milk, bread, eggs etc, with two young children I was not prepared to dress my babies catch a bus and then lug bags of shopping home whilst keeping two toddlers in check....he was delighted when I finally accepted his suggestion that I perhaps learn to drive....

It's a power trip not allowing women to drive, there is no sensible reason for it, beyond that they're scared the women will drive away from them given the earliest opportunity!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011 04:20 PM »

The religious justification for the ban is what will the women do if their car breaks down? Non mahram interaction will become unpreventable. The situation becomes worse when it's on a highway right in the middle of the desert.
To an extent I think they have a point, but at least they should be allowed to drive in the city.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2011 05:19 PM »

Even though I think women are rubbish at driving.

Hmmm that's interesting people have this view but the facts don't back this up. As mentioned by sister Fozia women are considered better drivers because they are more careful and get in less accidents. In the US it does show up in insurance rates.

As for the breaking down issue?? What happens if the non-mahram chauffer and woman get stuck alone somewhere!! much worse. If my car broke down I'd first call my dad and brother first!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2011 05:30 PM »

That's exactly what I don't understand, asking a non mahram to fix a flat tire is prohibited but being alone in a car with a non mahram is ok?
moderatesufi
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011 07:05 PM »

yep, compare being stuck in a desert on her own in her car with being stuck in a car with a non muhram man. On her own sounds better.

Another strange issue is, women drivers in the deserts are tolerated! the only place where this law is implemented is in the major cities.

I think the law was crafted by mistake, and now people are too embarrassed to remove it.

This is what happens when you have man made laws.

The real issue is the Saudi government has to be removed, and replaced by an Islamic government.
Other governments in Muslim countries might not have this driving problem, but they all have their own.
And they are often worse, like the Turkish Hijab ban and the Pakistani rape laws, or lack of them.
So they should all be removed and replaced with one Khilafah. Smiley

Kaffir keep telling us we should go back to Muslim countries when we complain about our lack of rights here.
But I don't want to go to Turkey and have my wife's hijab torn of by the police, go to saudi and have her stuck in a car with a non-muhram or Pakistan and raped because it is virtually legal there.
So before I can move to a Muslim country, Muslims need to rule Muslim countries by Islam, the Khilafah.
Smiley
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2011 08:54 PM »

Fozia... no because then the men divorce them, or take a second wife. This place has its own share of MAJOR issues.

But I do agree that it's a power thing.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2011 04:51 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So what was the local reaction like?

Is it likely that women will be driving any time soon there?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2011 01:37 PM »

Is it likely that women will be driving any time soon there?

Not right away but very soon. This thing has been going on for ages and now with the media poking it's nose, pressure on the government is pretty high.

I found out yesterday that even I had a distant relative(my cousin's sister-in-law) who was one of the protesting women drivers Grin
akhan
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2011 11:38 AM »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8855672962952239008

BBC documentary - They followed a prince/governor for a month. A really good watch
moderatesufi
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2011 04:26 PM »

That film really does show Saudis state of Shirk.

These hire women who can't even cover their hair properly to present TV shows. They call it progress, I call it jahiliya.
Why cant they ban that harram, a harram that goes against the Quran rather than ban women from driving?
 Didn't that say his daughter has a pet dog?
And don't make excuses for him about how guard dogs are Hallal. Because he mentioned the type of dog, and it isn't a guard dog.

Edited by Admin: Please see Constitution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: