// BBC to show film on Prophet Muhammad’s life
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC to show film on Prophet Muhammad’s life  (Read 4788 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jun 20, 2011 08:44 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-to-show-film-on-muhammads-life-2300200.html

The BBC is to trace the journey of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) for a new series which is claimed to be a first for British television.

Al Jazeera reporter Rageh Omaar will present the three-part programme for BBC2, following in the prophet’s footsteps from Mecca and along the journeys he took during his life.

To ensure the programmes are in line with Islamic tradition, they will not depict the face of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) or feature dramatic reconstructions of his life.

The Life Of Muhammad is to be screened next month and will follow events such as his migration to Medina and the founding of the first Islamic constitution, through to his death. It will also examine his legacy and the impact of the faith he established.

The trio of hour-long films have been made by Faris Kermani, the director and producer of Channel 4 series Seven Wonders Of The Muslim World.

The BBC’s commissioning editor for religion and ethics, Aaqil Ahmed, said: “For some people in the UK, Muhammad is just a name, and I hope this series will go some way to explaining who he was, how he lived, what his prophetic message was, and how all of this compares to his legacy today.

“This is a very timely landmark series filmed in Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem, Syria, Turkey, the USA, the UK and Jordan. It features comment from some of the world’s leading academics and commentators on Islam – a subject that many people may know little about.”

The BBC said the programmes would raise questions about Islam’s role in the world today and explore “where Islam’s attitudes towards money, charity, women, social equality, religious tolerance, war and conflict originate”.

Omaar is a former world affairs correspondent for BBC news who joined Al Jazeera’s English service in 2006.

He said: “The details of Muhammad’s life really are little known, and I hope that my series will – for many – shine a light on the very beginning of Islam, taking viewers to the heart of this faith, illustrating just how Muhammad’s life and legacy is as important today as it was over 1,000 years ago.”
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2011 04:59 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Beyond content, it will be interesting to see how much the BBC promote this series and at what time they decide to air it.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2011 03:43 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The first episode will be shown tomorrow, Monday 11 July, at 9pm on BBC2.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cantara
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Cantara has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2011 06:37 PM »

Have you seen the dispute shown by Iran?
Tbh, many people believe that the fact it is being broadcasted by BBC there has to be something 'iffy' about these documentaries. Then again it has many good speakers including Tariq Ramadan. Well, we'll just have to see :O
moderatesufi
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2011 09:25 PM »

Tariq Ramadhan, we'd have to agree to disagree on that one.
Lets just say, I can see where the Iranians are coming from.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2011 07:42 AM »

It looks pretty good actually!! Please post a review if you watch it  tv

The Life of Muhammad, BBC Two, preview
Toby Dantzic looks ahead to a sensitively made documentary about the life of Islam's prophet.

Rageh Omaar presents The Life of Muhammad on BBC Two

7:00AM BST 11 Jul 2011

CommentsComment

The BBC’s new three-part series on the life of Muhammad, Islam’s founder and most important prophet, has already caused controversy. Iran’s culture minister Mohammad Hosseini has branded it an attempt ‘to ruin Muslims’ sanctity’.

Yet director Faris Kermani has already proved himself respectful to matters Muslim, as his awe-inspiring 2008 documentary ‘The Seven Wonders of the Muslim World’ bore out. And although this new series charts the landmark moments in Muhammad’s life, Kermani appropriately avoids images of the prophet’s face or dramatic reconstructions of events. Instead Al Jazeera English reporter Rageh Omaar makes Muhammad vivid by retracing his footsteps. There’s much to cover.

From his dramatic flight to Medina, to the founding of the Islamic constitution and his military highs and lows, Muhammad had a rich and varied history. Omaar begins his journey in Mecca, Muhammad’s Arabian birthplace, where he investigates the polytheistic, tribal society Muhammad was born into. His marriage to the wealthy older widow Khadija comes under scrutiny. And we learn how Muhammad received the first of his divine revelations and the impact it had on him and his family.

Throughout the series Omaar will be joined by a host of Islamic experts including academics, religious leaders and even a member of the Jordanian royal family. And as we follow Muhammad’s progress, the series will also examine his legacy, looking at Islam’s role in the world today and its attitude to contemporary society.

The Life of Muhammad is on BBC Two on Monday, July 11 at 9.00pm
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2011 09:37 AM »

salam

I'm going to reserve judgement on this until it's aired.

I'm slightly sceptical that the BBC would show anything to do with Islam in a positive light, they generally cannot help but get a dig in going by past experience.

They have been showing more Muslim sympathetic documentaries of late, but even those have an underlying anti Islam sentiment.

We shall see I suppose.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2011 02:55 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

For those who may have missed it, the first episode will be on the BBC iPlayer until 1 August.

Here's one review on the opening episode.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8631089/The-Life-of-Muhammad-BBC-Two-review.html

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2011 03:49 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The real message that comes from the first episode is that this series is firmly and squarely aimed at non Muslims and their perception of Muhammad saw and Islam in general.

What is refreshing, however, is that rather than shying away and simply making a standard biographical documentary, the producers have used events in the seerah to challenge modern day misconceptions of Islam.

The opening programme, therefore, touched upon polygamy and women's rights interwoven around the marriage of our Prophet saw to Khadijah (ra) as well as discussing the circumstances surrounding the satanic verses furore in the late eighties.

This link between past and present gives the programme focus and no doubt appeals to those who have very little knowledge of Islam and the Prophet saw.

Production values are excellent and there were some stunning images of Makkah (both old and new) as well as Damascus and Petra in this episode.

Rageh Omar delivers the narrative in a engaging, unpatronising style and there is a feeling of travelling with a friend on journey of discovery. Perhaps this is why the producers have him carrying his bag with him everywhere he goes? Wink

Definitely worth a watch, especially if you are a non Muslim.

Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2011 05:05 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

I have to agree with Br Khalid's post. I found myself captivated by last night's episode. I think Rageh Omar has done a good job thus far.

Rageh Omar delivers the narrative in a engaging, unpatronising style and there is a feeling of travelling with a friend on journey of discovery. Perhaps this is why the producers have him carrying his bag with him everywhere he goes? Wink

One of my closest friends is a Revert, and she told me that the programme made her feel "Proud to be Muslim", as usually her idea of these types of documentaries always makes her switch off.

I felt that the programme was objective enough for Non Muslims, with various speakers, who weren't all Muslims. My 84yr old Non-Muslim neighbour was watching it, I could actually hear the programme through the walls!

I can't wait for today's part, although today's episode is going to have more issues I didn't realise that the programme was running in three consecutive days. For the rest of the Madinan's outwith the UK, I suggest trying to watch it on BBC iplayer if  at all possible.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2011 08:10 PM »

That stupid iPlayer says "Not available in your area" Angry GRRRR!!!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2011 09:15 PM »

salam

Iplayer is regional it's not going to let you watch it outside of the UK.

Try this;

http: //www. megavideo.com/?v=53Y9L7RV (cut and paste link without spaces)

It was actually (surprisingly) very good, except for the condescending professor (or whoever he was I forget now), who was trying to be oh so clever and said Mohammad (saw) was not illiterate it says so in the Quran, like really? Unless he's talking about the 'Read' verse in which case he really needs to read the entire verse becasue it doesn't say the prophet (saw) could read or write anywhere in the Quran (I am happy to be corrected of course).

He also jumped on the so called satanic verses thing, which I've never heard of up till today! It would be in the hadith had it actually happened, if it is not verified and authenticated then it's not true surely!

We have some articulate brothers and sisters tho mashallah. Perfect example why we all should be educated to the hilt (makes us look good on TV for a start!)

It was very beautifully shot.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2011 10:12 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

My apologies. The second part didn't air tonight.  Angry I was misinformed. Sorry to all those who tried and failed to watch on BBC iplayer. The BBC should be reaching out to everyone! That's my argument anyway....lol

With regards to the Satanic Verses, he said lots of Non Muslims (Westerners) argue this, and he used the uproar when S.Rushdie released book and how there was an uproar in the Muslim community.

He then went on to say it's not that Muslims can't accept Criticism, but it's never been verified in any of the Hadiths or the Quran. Hence why it has been rejected, as every other aspect has been verified by authentic sources.

I think sis Fozia, I think the producers tried to keep it as objective as possible. So, the arguments were put forward and critically analysed.

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2011 07:07 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Has anyone watched the second part of documentary last night & if so, can you please post up a review? Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2011 11:42 AM »

Is there anywhere I can watch this online?

Jazakallah!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: