Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 21, 2014 01:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: The dhulan doth protest too much.

Poll
Question: Why do Muslim women eat such rubbish food and refuse to excersize?
They are lazy? - 1 (20%)
They can't be bothered? - 1 (20%)
They don't know how? - 0 (0%)
Something else? - 1 (20%)
They think the Rubbish they eat is Healthy? (Rubbish includes Dhal) - 0 (0%)
They think they exercise lots, but they don't? - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the sisters?  (Read 6274 times)
moderatesufi
« on: Jun 26, 2011 06:17 PM »

In the UK conditions that are caused by lack of exercise and bad diet such as diabetes and hypertension are four times as common among south Asian women than the national average.
The overwhelming majority of South Asians here are Muslim and the overwhelming majority of Muslims here are south Asians, so this statistic can be equally valid if written as:
Conditions caused by bad diet and lack of exercise are are four times as common among Muslim women as the national average.

My question is why?
Why do Muslim women insist on eating bad unhealthy indo-Pak food, such as Dhal?
Why do they eat them in such unhealthy quantities?
Why don't they take walks. or do some light exercise at home.
There are women's only health clubs, and government owned health clubs can be booked for free if you have enough people to fill them.
Why doesn't it happen?
Brothers organise sporting activities for themselves. Why don't groups of sister get together for this purpose?

And this is an issue where you have to take individual responsibility. No passing the buck and saying, "It is all the fault of Muslim men for being mean!"
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2011 06:47 PM »

Dude, dhal is pretty healthy - lots of protein.
moderatesufi
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2011 06:55 PM »

OK, I am going to modify my survey, if I can, to add that as an additional question. Sisters have said that to me when I asked them why they eat such rubbish unhealthy food that is clearly bad for them.
Thanks.

How do I add another question on it?

If moderators can modify it,
The next question should be:
They think the unhealthy food they eat as well as their unhealthy lifestyle is healthy?

pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2011 07:45 PM »

What is the point of this survey? Are you asking why the women on the Madina board eat rubbish and don't exercise, or are you asking for respondents to make negative generalizations about all Muslimahs?

Muslim women in the UK (and the USA) live in a society where food is easy to get and processed foods are plentiful.  People need not walk or bicycle far; they can drive or take the bus. Women (and many men) might not feel comfortable in the gym or walking in public if they are overweight or out of shape; or maybe they are not educated on the benefits of exercise and good diet.  Too much television is a problem for many people, too.

These problems are not restricted to Muslim women.  Muslim men and non-Muslims face the same unhealthy issues.

As far as people from the Indian sub-continent, white rice might be more of a negative health factor than dhal.  People who eat white rice five times a week are at a 17% greater risk of developing Diabetes Type 2 compared to people who eat white rice 1 time per month. White rice is a staple for many people. If they switched from white rice to eating brown rice  and increased their daily ration of vegetables, those 2 dietary changes could have a positive effect.

Anyway, there is no need to be so negative about the physical condition or habits of Muslim women. Not all Muslimahs are overweight or eat "rubbish".  Also, you have no idea what challenges individual women might be facing.
moderatesufi
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2011 08:12 PM »

What is the point of this survey? Are you asking why the women on the Madina board eat rubbish and don't exercise, or are you asking for respondents to make negative generalizations about all Muslimahs?

If I have to limit my answer to that question to one of the two options you have given it would be:
I am asking for respondents to make negative generalizations about all Muslimahs?

To say everyone has problems is ducking the issue. Muslim women suffer from this 4 times as much as the national average.
That is too much.
If it isn't a negative generalisation, what is it?
Better that people see it for what it is, and fix themselves and their families.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2011 08:29 PM »

wsalam,

I second the questioning of the purpose of this survey. Are you trying to raise awareness about eating healthy and exercising among muslim desi women. If so this is the WROnG way to go about it. Fyi insulting people is never a good way to help them!!

Anyways eating unhealthy is certainly not just a problem for desi women, Desi men have the highest rate of heart conditions in the world (something i read somewhere). Americans have the highest rates of obesity in the world.

The causes of these things are very complex. As mentioned processed/packaged food availability, expensive healthy foods, to traditional staples, to amount of oil used in cooking, to exercise not being part of the culture, to psychological problems and extreme dieting and mass media images of photoshopped anorexic girls as a norm. There's much to explore and of course each person is different as well.

PS and yeah why pick on dhal?? it's a lentil unless ur putting loads of oil/ghee/butter in it, it's probably the healthiest food we have next too that spinach stuff.
moderatesufi
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2011 11:07 PM »

I really hate Dhal. It smells bad and looks horrible. So even if it isn't unhealthy it should be.
Yes Americans are really fat. So maybe in America the statistics are different, because loads of non-Muslims there eat lumps of lard.
But I was talking about the UK, and in the UK Muslims have the worst health amongst any community. And that Isn't right. And among Muslims women's health is worse.

Generally Desi type food, is real bad. And Non-desi type Muslim food like African food and Turkish food is also often bad, just not as bad.

Food is just one part of it. Lack of exercise is another issue.

Saying, others share that problem, doesn't lead to a solution.

We need to admit that a problem does exist to try and resolve it.

The sisters who eat bad food. And they can speak for themselves, why do you do it?
And the sisters who do not work out, do not exercise, why don't you do it?

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2011 04:53 AM »

I really hate Dhal. It smells bad and looks horrible. So even if it isn't unhealthy it should be.

WTH!! Who are you to pass a judgement on that? If you don't like it, just don't eat it and keep quiet. And stop criticizing everything and everyone you don't agree with.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2011 10:17 AM »

salam

You clearly can't cook.

Out of curiosity, I would like to see the actually statistics you quote, where have you obtained these figures from, kindly post your source.

My experience is that it's men who are at risk from heart disease, a lot of these being men from the Indian subcontinent and this is due to the fact a lot of them eat food saturated in ghee!!!!

I look forward to reading your statistic source.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
moderatesufi
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2011 10:44 AM »

I read it a while ago, so I can't remember exactly which one said 4 times as much, but this one says 6 times as much for diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professionals/Publications-reports-and-resources/Reports-statistics-and-case-studies/Reports/Diabetes-UK-and-South-Asian-Health-Foundation-recommendations-on-diabetes-research-priorities-for-British-South-Asians/

You will find something similar for others things that are diet or exercise related such as heart diseases, hypertension and kidney disease.
Instead of nit picking about my wording, can we get on with the subject and talk about what should be done to improve the health of Muslim women?
This is an important subject, for women.
Improving health, its a good thing.
I feel like Jamie Oliver when he went to America to tell people to stop eating buckets of lard.

Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2011 11:02 AM »

salam

Right according to that article

South Asian people who live in the UK are up to six times more likely to have Type 2 diabetes than the white European population, and with diabetes prevalence in England predicted to increase by 47 per cent by 2025, the condition will continue to have a considerable impact on South Asian communities across the UK.

There doesn't appear to be any clear statistics in relation to gender, so I will assume it's men.

Clearly you should be trying to save the lives of south asian men.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
moderatesufi
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011 02:24 PM »

Feminism was originally developed to improve the lives of women. Now it is used an as excuse to keep their lives difficult.
Muslim women have health problems. You can wake up to it or pretending it doesn't exist.
Being a sister, you probably know lots of Muslim women who eat bad diets and don't exercise. You can help them make changes, or you can make excuses for them, stating, "well I am going to say men's health is worse, because I want to disagree with this sexist brother".
Which do you think will be more helpful to your female friends and family?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2011 02:43 PM »

salam

Re-read my post, I said nothing of the sort! I'm making the same assumptions you are, besides south Indians are also largely Hindus.

Show us some proof for your assertions.

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2011 03:51 PM »

wsalam,

You know... the Islamic concepts in Dawah are very applicable here. If you want to change people's behavior and make them listen.... first you talk to people with wisdom:

Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best who have strayed from His Path and who receive guidance (Quran 16:125)

There's no point if you insult them first, they definitely won't listen to you then and will just insult u back!!

“And do not insult those they invoke other than Allah, lest they insult Allah in enmity without knowledge …” (Qur’an, 6:108)

Sometimes you need help in giving dawah because people will not understand/be hostile to you (ie in this case a man telling women they're fat, but say ur wife would do this dawah much better!)

“And my brother Aaron is more fluent than me in tongue, so send him with me as support, verifying me. Indeed, I fear that they will deny me.” (Qur’an, 28:34)

Lastly you can't be mean about it bruv !!

“Make things easy for the people, and do not make it difficult for them, and give them glad tidings, and do not repulse (them)” [Narrated in Bukhari and Muslim].

----------

So again what you are saying may or may not be true or good to advocate, but the way that you're saying it makes all the difference!

moderatesufi
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2011 08:54 PM »

Look, I'm only telling you lot to eat healthy food and exercise. What's the big deal?
Just cut down on the ghee, tarkari and dhal a bit, and do 5 minutes of stretching before and after bed.
Is that too much?

You should all watch Jamie Oliver programs.
He isn't Muslim yet, but he is a good guy so Inshallah he will become Muslim soon.
"Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" (The unhealthiest city in America...)

lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2011 03:21 PM »

Salaam,

This survey is not scientific - so cut this person some slack. With that said, Dhal is so darn yummy, I'd rather die than give it up. And like Jannah said, it depends what you put in it. The less extra stuff, the better for you. That goes with anything. You can make spinach..start adding, cheese, meat etc- it's not the same.

Why are muslimahs xyz? Like sis Pearl states,  it's a general condition of westernized/westernizing nations that have become lazy due to the availability of processed foods, pre-packages and eating out. Why one person does one thing- depends on a person. Plus, if someone 'looks' unhealthy doesnt necessarily mean they are. Likewise, if someone looks thin- doesnt mean they are healthy. In general, our populations have problems with diabetes, heart disease, sendentary lifestyles. We know this and we know why this happens. The generalization done by our department of healths can be applied to muslim communities as well. Take that and go with it.

My friend, we are all confused by your survey and purpose, however, if you want to post some good stuff- post the good stuff. Good ideas, good pointers..how to incorporate a healthy lifestyle into busy schedules et et et.

Much love, peaceeee
moderatesufi
« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2011 05:26 PM »

I understand that health is bad in a lot of western societies.
But here in the UK it effects Muslims worse, and Muslim women are the worse effected.

I was really looking for good ideas from you lot about what sisters can do to improve their health.
Instead of a brother coming in, and telling you lot, this is what you should do, as well as that.
It is you lot who will or will not take actions for your own healths so it is really up to you lot to come out with ideas.
But the way things are now, isn't acceptable, it isn't right and it is something that Muslims should be ashamed of.

"My friend, we are all confused by your survey and purpose, however, if you want to post some good stuff- post the good stuff. Good ideas, good pointers..how to incorporate a healthy lifestyle into busy schedules et et et."

You asked me for my ideas, so I will give them.
Even though most of you will take it as the sexist ramblings of a sexist brother.
Smiley
Ok here goes.
Healthy food doesn't have to be rabbit food, and if you try to replace what you eat now with rabbit food. Your diet wont last two weeks.
You will give up on it and say, Dhal is so darn yummy, I'd rather die than give it up.

So what we need to do is modify your existing diets to make them more healthy.
I am talking about improving the quality making sure you don't compensate of the reduction in calories by increasing the quantity.

You know the stuff you fry?
When you do that, you add fat that doesn't need to be there for flavour to stop it sticking.
Instead of frying, grill.
When you do that, what you cook losses fat by it dripping off.
Smiley

A lot of low fat ways of cooking makes the food taste dry?
So lots of people don't like it.
What you can do instead is keep the food moist during cooking. Use fruit juices instead of oils to marinade.
Smiley

A lot of people attacked ghee here which is really unfair Sad
Ghee isn't your enemy, and neither is the fat on your meat.
These are animal fats, and you and me, we are nothing but animals.
We can store animal fats in our bodies easier than vegetable fats.
This is a big mistake in desi type meat cooking.
Where they cut out the fat from the meat, and then add vegetable oil.
You are replacing good fat for bad with you do that.
I am not saying drink paints of ghee. It isnt health food.
I am just saying, it is it isn't as bad a vegetable fat.
And when you have to use vegetable fat, use olive oil. And never ever eat anything with hydrogenated vegetable oil in it.
This is unnatural, designed not to break down. If it goes in you, it is very hard to burn it off.
Sort of stays there.

I can go on for ever, so I wont.
Smiley

In exercise, make a permanent change.
Do something small, that you know you can do every day, even if you don't want to.
Smiley
do press ups, before bed and when you wake up.
I like them, cause they offer a full body workout and exercise the same muscles needed for punching.
And you don't need any equipment to do it, or go to a gym and they don't take long.
So you will have no excuse not to do it, so it is very likely you will always continue it.
Try and do a few right. And then build up to ten over time.
Smiley
A nice small number, and if you get used to that, build up.
Twice a day, before bed, and when you wake up. So it doesn't get in the way of anything and nothing will get in the way of it.
Smiley
If you can't even do one right, don't replace press ups with bum ups.
That is when you only move your bum up and down. That doesn't exercise anything, and it will just make you look like an idiot in front of your husband.
Instead keep your knees on the ground and not just your feet. that will reduce the weight you lift, but still exercise the same muscles.
You should be able to do that, and build up, and than move on to real pressups.
Smiley
oh yah, press ups will not give you the ability to knock a man down with a single punch. This is because you need to be able to lift the weight of the person you hit with a single hand to do that. Women are usually smaller than men, and with pressups you use two hands so you only lift half your own weight at most.
So if you you are attacked, punch the wind pipe. It isn't protected by muscle, so it doesn't matter how large the man is.
You can also use your fingers to eye gouge, if you want to do that well, move on to press ups on your fingers.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2011 09:31 PM »

salam

Can you put up a recipe where you've used fruit juice to keep food moist?

Wassalaam

moderatesufi
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2011 10:04 PM »

I use it as a marinade
It is really good with oily fish like salmon.
Because it breaks down the oil and removes the fish smell and the greasy after taste.
My best would be. take some tin foil. cover the bottom with thin slices of onion, lemon and orange complete with skin. put the salmon in. sprinkle some black pepper and tyme on it. more orange, lemon and onion slices above. pore some orange juice in the envelope, and close it.
In the oven until ready.

With grilled meat, you can really use any juices. You take your stake or other meats and marinade them in a plastic bag with the juices and other seasoning.
In the way you normally do.
With grilling, you can also paint you meat occasionally with the juice to keep it moist.
you just use it in place of oil. Yes you can use water. But juices give it an extra kick.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2011 10:10 PM »

salam

I don't like sweet tastes in meat.

With fish I tend to use lemon juice.

Wassalaam

moderatesufi
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2011 10:50 PM »

It wont be sweet. Not at all.
All you will have is a slight lemon/orange smell.
Orange has the same effect as lemon.

And the same applies when you marinade the meat in juices.
Try it, you will see.
We are not talking about a lot of juice, just equivalent to the amount of oil you would have used instead.
Even if you use a little more, it still wont taste sweet.
It has more to do with smell than taste. and the cooking processes dampens down the smell anyway.
Its only a hint that is left.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2011 10:57 PM »

there are some unusual guys on this site.  we have one person -- H2H who sells women's lingerie and gives women beauty tips,  and otherwise acts like a kiss ass muslim.  and we have another guy --Moderatesufi -- who gives out cooking tips and recipes, and otherwise acts like he wants to lobotomize women and harm every jew and nonmuslim.  if this is muslim men trying to get in touch with their feminine side, God help us...

lol

pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #22 on: Jun 29, 2011 02:23 AM »

there are some unusual guys on this site.  we have one person -- H2H who sells women's lingerie and gives women beauty tips,  and otherwise acts like a kiss ass muslim.  and we have another guy --Moderatesufi -- who gives out cooking tips and recipes, and otherwise acts like he wants to lobotomize women and harm every jew and nonmuslim.  if this is muslim men trying to get in touch with their feminine side, God help us...

Ha ha. Thank you for making me laugh, Bro Lucid!  You are so right! Cheesy
moderatesufi
« Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2011 08:22 AM »

if this is muslim men trying to get in touch with their feminine side, God help us...

I don't have any side, feminine or otherwise that I want to show. I cook, only because I need to eat, or my kids need to eat or my wife needs to eat. No statements, no points, nothing to prove.

I think what you and many others in the the board have done is, you have taken every stereotype the white liberal types have about Muslims, dissociated it from yourselves claiming to be the enlightened exception. And then you have adopted them, and used them against Muslims who believe in Islam in its totality.

You might see a contradiction in my character, what you don't see is that contradiction is due to your prejudices about Islam and Muslims.

Yes I believe in Islam, and all of it. Including the parts of Islam the white liberal elite do not like. Such as Hijab/Niqab, Polygamy, stoning the adulterer, lashing the fornicator, Jihad(I mean badr and uhud not exams), Khilafah, the Islamic rules of marriage and divorce I believe in it all.

And yes I cook, clean, look after my children, and support my wife's carrier.

And yes I see no contradiction in the two.

It is your prejudice that tells you the two contradict. A prejudice, you have plagiarised from the white liberal elite, and redirected from all Muslims and Non-whites to some Muslims and non-whites.
The ones that refuse to accept the white liberal elite as gods and masters, as well as an example to be followed.
Smiley

Lots of guys can do what you do, come out with slogans for feminism and against the parts of Islam feminism doesn't like.
Words are cheap.
Few if any are willing to do what I do, clean shit from backsides, cook, clean etc.
Women who want slogans can go get them from your sort, women who want actions get get it from the, what were the words you used?
Religious types!

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2011 02:29 PM »

How old are you? You sound really young - or rather, very immature.

You claim to be the Ummah's answer fpr deflecting accusations, and yet you are exactly what you say others are: judgemental, contradictory, a labeler, and full of yourself.

Just a point to ponder: this is not because you are good Muslim. Neither is it because you are a bad one. But one thing is for sure, these are not desirable personality traits, especially for a Muslim.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: