Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heatwave!!  (Read 1089 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jun 27, 2011 10:16 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So finally summer arrives and the weather forecasters tell us to expect a heatwave which will last all of ermm….2 days!!  Roll Eyes

Does that actually qualify as a heatwave or should it be more of a heatripple?  Wink

Anyway if there was a heatwave, what would be your top tips for staying cool and what is the most annoying thing of being in hot weather during the summer? bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2011 10:55 AM »

salam

I was actually going to start a thread about this but a little different.

I got heatstroke yesterday Sad , we were travelling home and I cannot stand excessive heat.

This morning also in direct sunlight it was so incredibly hot subhanallah, and I was walking up to the train station and there was no shade on either side of the street, and it got me thinking. I can't stand the heat at all, I get really bad heatstroke, with severe migraines and passing out and throwing up etc all from minimum exposure to hot sunlight. What on earth will we suffer in yaum All qiyamah. So I just walked along feeling horribly uncomfortable and incredibly tearful about what is in store for us and I made duas lots of duas that Allah have mercy on us, shade us onthe day there is no shade and save us from the punishment of the grave and keep us safe from the fires of Jhannam.

It is a really awful thought when you think about it, compare the heat in the direct sunlight now to what may be in store....can't help but make loads of istighfar.

Tips to keeping cool, keep your head and body covered with light clothing, carry a bottle of iced water, stay in shaded parts, don't travel unneccessairly...carry a mobile fan (used to be so popular when we were at school).
But above all use these days to remember Allah and ask for his forgiveness and mercy.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2011 02:53 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

First it was leaves on the line, then it was snow, now apparently it's too hot for the trains to run properly!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13926651

Perhaps it's always raining in England because that seems to be the only time the trains can run properly Huh?

Sorry to hear about the heatstroke Sr Fozia, inshaAllah you are all recovered now.

I was actually at a masjid summer fair yesterday and the good weather meant there was a really good turnout.

You had only had to look at the queues at the kebab/briyani/BBQ stalls to work that one out  hungry

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2011 04:05 PM »

wsalam,

sorry to hear about ur heatstroke fozia! that happened to me in syria once tromping thru the desert wearing all black jilbab, no water no hat, no stopping!! baaad idea... then we finally got to an olllld 700 year old mosque on the tour and drank some ice cold water and went inside where it was nice and cool and bam was so nauseous i think i passed out for a few seconds! some of the brothers got upset with the tour guide for making the sisters do that and there was a big hullabaloo but it was really nice to see strange brothers trying to protect us like that!! definitely good to take some precautions like u mentioned when the weather is 100 degrees plus! (37 celsius in the metric world) very dangerous. But in general where I live summer is really nice and it's rare to get weather like that and if we do we usually get a huge storm that breaks it so everyone goes out on the porch to watch and the more intrepid run outside in the rain like some good ole bollywood movies so it's all good Wink

brkhalid where's our biryani!!  Huh?
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2011 06:20 PM »

Coincidence!!
It's 34 celsius outside and I am having biryani Smiley
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2011 09:38 AM »

salam

Coincidence!!
It's 34 celsius outside and I am having biryani Smiley

You crack me up Br.  Cheesy

OK so the day is grey skies and the promised thunderstorms did not happen last night...unless they were so quiet I slept thro them Undecided

It's now really muggy, and sticky...at least we have a cool breeze thro central London.......and thankfully the trains are back to normal speed (slightly faster than a crawl, slower than a brisk walk!).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2011 11:09 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

On a serious note, most people do not realise how quickly they can become dehydrated when out in the sun

At Hajj, there are many pilgrims who simply keel over because of insufficient fluid intake, particularly on the day of Arafat.

It is important to take fluid on board before the symptoms of dehydration start to appear otherwise the chances of passing out are high.

It's now really muggy, and sticky

I'm not sure what's worse, unbearable stifling heat or clothes-drenched-in-sweat humidity?

brkhalid where's our biryani!! Huh?

Coincidence!!
It's 34 celsius outside and I am having biryani

Unfortunately they were not selling any Hyderabadi biryanis so I had to settle for the healthy noodle option instead Wink

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2011 12:58 PM »

sis Fozia, I am glad Smiley and I am gonna have biryani again for dinner tonight, I  will be attending a wedding and biryani is the staple for every event in Hyderabad Smiley

Speaking of heatwaves, our summer ended on June 8th with the monsoon reaching coastal Andhra that day. Yet, temperatures continue to hover around in the 30s which is a lot better than the 40s we have during the summer. I was gonna visit Saudi this month but my trip got cancelled. Otherwise it would've been an extended summer for me like last summer when Umrah proved to be pretty difficult during the day coz it was also Ramadan. Nighttime is best but then you'll be sleep deprived for the rest of the day.

BrKhalid, I can take the unbearably stifling heat rather than the humidity, it makes me feel suffocated.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2011 03:22 PM »

Salam alaikum (attempting to post this, for the 3rd time Roll Eyes)

Firstly, sister Fozia, am glad you're feeling batter alhamdulillah.  Do take good care of yourself in the heat.  br khalid is right, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated!!! better to be proactive

you know, a few years ago, i would never have believed it can get so hot there! I was watching a documentary on climate change, and they showed how Toronto is being faced with massive challenges: all their infrastructure, homes, buildings etc are built for the cold.  With the kind of excessively hot summers they are having, people just cant cope!  especially the poor, with no ventilation in their flats and no aircons etc.  they will have to think of a new solution to building and for alternate cooling options, greener ones as opposed to aircons.

We have this picture (i'm sure it's not just me???) that the UK is all grey and rainy all the time.  Anything above 25 degrees is considered a heatwave, lol.  But it used to be like that, no?  Things sure have changed...i guess we're beginning to reap what we've been sowing all these years, being neglectful of the environment.  I used to love getting off school in Germany when the thermometer hit 30 degrees!  they firmly believed that children should not be expected to concentrate at thse temperatures, and that our time would be better spent out playing somewhere!  Cheesy  Pity no such policy here in SA! (maybe we'll get off work if it snows? !!)

As for me, I am sitting with the heater on under my desk, still freezing.  typing here with purple fingers, hehe Wink  The sun is still shining though, just no heat.  I couldve sworn it was going to snow this winter! oh well, just have to wait and see...

Keep cool everyone (while I try and keep warm!)
Salam
S.
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2011 03:28 PM »

Salaams,

Sis SHahida, being below the equator makes us all jealous of you right now...lol. My parents also think that the UK doesnt get hot. I had to tell them that it has been HOT these past few summers. Crazy.

My friend who was born in South India cannot take heat for the life of her. I wonder why though. One would think her genes were made for that stuff.

To stay cool, wear a BIG light straw hat. It really does help - well when it's very sunny out etc. Drink lots of fluids when you can - spread it out throughout the day- to keep hydrated because you do urinate throughout the day, you should  continually be sipping... Wash your face frequently to keep cool if you are outside..  Take in fruits and veggies- you need the nourishment. And let's not forget our body odor- wear your deoderant:) Summer time brings out all the smells!!! take it easy on the curry ;-) haha

Oh and I never had hyderabadi biryani.....what's the big deal ? Who will make me some?

Btw, take it easy Sis Fozia....

Much love
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2011 03:36 PM »

salam

We have the thunderstorms finally........
اَللَّهُمَّ لاَ تَقْتُلْنَا بِغَضَبِكَ وَ لاَ تُهْلِكْنَا بِعَذَابِكَ وَعَافِنَا قَبْلَ ذَالِكَ

Allah hum’ma Laa Taqtulna Bi Ghadabika Wa Laa Tuhlikna Bi Azaabika Wa Aafina Qabla Zaalika.

“O Allah, Do not cause us death by Your Wrath and do not destroy us by Your punishment and forgive us before that happens”

And so begins British monsoon season Roll Eyes

Sr Shahida you're not really wrong, a lot of the times it is grey clouds and constant rain here, but sometimes we get the brittle icy sunshine that exudes no heat whatsoever but makes everything so incredibly beautiful mashallah....then we get the two days every other year where it's so hot we all bake alive on the delightful (and most expensive in the world) London tube network (I'm seriously trying to work out if I can get to work by boat!).

Wassalaam

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2011 03:40 PM »

salam

Just realised, Jazakallah for caring, it really doesn't take much for me to keel over.

When I was little the family elders would always be worried about my health (as I was invariably ill a lot of the time), my younger sister once got really cross and anounced that she was going to start fainting and then maybe she would get gifts too Roll Eyes, we use her line even now whenever one of us is being especially petulant about something!!!!!

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: