// Lyon: deputy mayor conducting marriage ceremony forces bride to remove headscarf
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy. - Jalaluddin al-Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyon: deputy mayor conducting marriage ceremony forces bride to remove headscarf  (Read 689 times)
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« on: Jun 23, 2011 03:43 PM »

What a shame. What ought to have been a happy occasion (registering a marriage) turned into a humiliation when the bride was made to remove her hijab.

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2011/6/22/lyon-deputy-mayor-conducting-marriage-ceremony-forces-bride.html

Lyon: deputy mayor conducting marriage ceremony forces bride to remove headscarf

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

French news sources have reported on the case of a Muslim couple, Samira and Mohamed ****, who went to the town hall in the 9th district of Lyon on 4 June to get married.

The Coalition Against Racism and Islamophobia (CRI) reported that Samira was immediately challenged by the deputy mayor, Fatiha ben Ahmed of the Europe Écologie – Les Verts party, who was responsible for conducting the marriage ceremony. Ben Ahmed demanded that Samira should remove her headscarf and threatened the couple that she would not proceed with the ceremony unless the bride did as she was told. Under pressure from the deputy mayor and lacking knowledge of the regulations, Samira complied and removed her hijab.

It has been pointed out that there is in fact no legislation that allows a mayor or his deputy to refuse to marry a couple on the grounds that the bride wears a headscarf. Fatiha ben Ahmed's demand was particularly discriminatory, given that it is a French tradition that brides wear a tulle veil at marriage ceremonies.

The Coalition Against Racism and Islamophobia wrote to the mayor Alain Giordano protesting about the couple's disgraceful treatment. Giordano replied that he had summoned ben Ahmed to his office to explain her behaviour and that the case would be discussed at a council meeting. The mayor gave his assurance that there would be no repetition of the incident.
moderatesufi
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2011 04:31 PM »

Frances headscarf ban. And can be seen by the name, so called Muslims always take things further then what their white masters demand.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2011 07:11 PM »

salam

That is utterly ridiculous, I would have demanded to know how many brides in white wedding dresses complete with veils she's refused to marry.

The poor bride.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: