Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

If dhikr be the food of love, play on.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad news for (diet) Bebzi drinkers!!  (Read 631 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jul 07, 2011 04:09 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Some material from some other hardworking university researchers…

Apparently artificial sweetners in drinks increase the craving for more sweeter (high calorie) foods.

SAN DIEGO (June 27, 2011) — In the constant battle to lose inches or at least stay the same, we reach for the diet soda. Two studies presented Saturday [June 25] at the American Diabetes Association’s Scientific Sessions suggest this might be self-defeating behavior.

Epidemiologists from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio reported data showing that diet soft drink consumption is associated with increased waist circumference in humans
, and a second study that found aspartame raised fasting glucose (blood sugar) in diabetes-prone mice.

“Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas and artificial sweeteners as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised,” said Helen P. Hazuda, Ph.D., professor and chief of the Division of Clinical Epidemiology in the School of Medicine. “They may be free of calories but not of consequences.”

Human study: The San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging

To examine the relationship between diet soft drink consumption and long-term change in waist circumference, the Health Science Center team assessed data from 474 participants in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging, or SALSA. This is a large, population-based study of the disablement process in elderly Mexican Americans and European Americans. Dr. Hazuda, senior author of the presentation, is SALSA’s principal investigator and has led the study for two decades.

Measures of height, weight, waist circumference and diet soda intake were recorded at SALSA enrollment and at three follow-up exams that took place over the next decade. The average follow-up time was 9.5 years. The researchers compared long-term change in waist circumference for diet soda users versus non-users in all follow-up periods. The results were adjusted for waist circumference, diabetes status, leisure-time physical activity level, neighborhood of residence, age and smoking status at the beginning of each interval, as well as sex, ethnicity and years of education.

Diet soft drink users, as a group, experienced 70 percent greater increases in waist circumference compared with non-users. Frequent users, who said they consumed two or more diet sodas a day, experienced waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than those of non-users

Abdominal fat is a major risk factor for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and other chronic conditions. “These results suggest that, amidst the national drive to reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks, policies that would promote the consumption of diet soft drinks may have unintended deleterious effects,” the authors wrote.

Co-authors include Sharon P. Fowler, M.P.H., faculty associate, and Ken Williams, M.S., P.Stat., adjunct assistant professor and biostatistician, in the Division of Clinical Epidemiology.

http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat2.asp?newID=3861

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2011 05:06 PM »

salam

I try and avoid artificial sweetners, aspartame is really not good for you. I absolutely despise those kids medicines which state no sugar and instead have a shedload of aspartame in it, gimme sugar any day of the week........

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2011 05:13 PM »

Salaam,

Indeed. I see this real time. I think all the diet soda drinkers especially here at work are just bigger than everyone else. Just take the real stuff anytime  I say. There are other confounding factors to consider as well...I"m just saying from observation...

Drink water.

peace
moderatesufi
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2011 07:22 PM »

Astagfirullah
Why do you lot want to drink that nonsense anyway?
Breathing out as as important as breathing.
We need to get rid of carbon dioxide just as much as we need to take in Oxygen.
So why do people want to put CO2 in sugary caffeine filled water and drink it?

Allah has made so many fruits, and all can be squeezed to produce, tasty healthy juices for you to drink. But instead, people drink that nonsense. And then get upset when their teeth rot, they get fat or diabetic etc.

Eat what is good, pure and healthy instead.

This is what I drink:
http://www.time4dreamsindia.com/images/aloe_vera_juice.jpg
I buy it from Chinese people.
They are very healthy people.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2011 10:43 PM »

wsalam,

I think what happens with sodas is that your body thinks it's water. So then if you're drinking the real stuff it's 150 calories a can it doesn't know it's getting and if it's diet soda it's some kind of fake possibly harmful substance and a lot of sodium too. It dehydrates you and then you don't bother to drink water which speeds up your metabolism and makes you feel less hungry. I think ppl get large fries and a diet coke cuz they think the diet coke offsets the fries somehow lol so it's just a negative cycle!! I agree the best drink is water.
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2011 01:29 AM »

Things get even worse for women who drink a lot of Bebzi (or that OTHER popular cola).

There's something in colas (but not in other soda flavors) that can lead to calcium deficiency in women.

http://wellbeingwire.meyouhealth.com/healthy-behaviors/women-who-drink-diet-cola-lose-calcium-phosphorous/

Scary stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: