Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Printing!!!  (Read 1845 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jul 06, 2011 01:36 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

If printing in 3D wasn't crazy enough, the printer uses chocolate instead of ink so you can eat what you print!!

Excel spreadsheets could suddenly become very popular indeed Wink

Chocolate lovers may soon be able to print their own 3D creations thanks to work by UK scientists.

A 3D printer that uses chocolate has been developed by University of Exeter researchers - and it prints layers of chocolate instead of ink or plastic

Although still a prototype, several retailers have already expressed interest in taking on the device.

3D printing using plastic and metal is already widely used in industry to speed up design work.

Lead scientist Dr Liang Hao told BBC News that chocolate printing, just like any other 3D printing technique, starts with a flat cross-section image - similar to that produced by ordinary printers turning out images.

"Then you do a 3D shape - layer by layer, printing chocolate instead of ink, like if you were layering 2D paper to form a 3D shape," he said.

Once a layer is completed, it solidifies, and the machine moves on to the next layer.

Shape and taste

There have been other attempts to develop so-called "food printers" - in 2010, researchers from Cornell University in the US used liquefied foods as inks in a specially designed machine.

Dr Richard Hague from Loughborough University told BBC News that the Exeter creation is a step towards manufacturing a device able to print flawless 3D objects that taste good.

Getting the printing process right involves careful control of key parameters, such as temperature.

Once the prototype becomes a finished product, it may find a role in the restaurant and food preparation industry.

And some companies are already expressing interest.

"Obviously, it's chocolate, so it is hugely appealing," said Joanna Grant from UK online gift retailer findmeagift.co.uk.

But what is even more appealing, she added, is that customers will be able to design any object on a computer before hitting the print button.

"We could do things like 3D faces, for instance - the possibilities are enormous on a commercial aspect."

Social networks

Besides producing 3D chocolate, Dr Hao's team wants to go a step further - and take their printer into cyberspace.

He said the next step would be creating a chocolate-oriented website.

"Now we have an opportunity to combine chocolate with digital technology, including the design, digital manufacturing and social networking.

"Chocolate has a lot of social purpose, so our intention is to develop a community and share the designs, ideas and experience about it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14030720

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2011 03:49 PM »

I don't think this will be of any use in hot places because the chocolate is bound to melt Smiley
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2011 05:07 PM »

salam

awesome!! I love it!!!  pure genius!! where can I buy the chocolate printer??

this opens a new horizon for the confectionery industry. 
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2011 05:42 PM »

wsalam,

mmmmm a big thumbs up from me  shaykh

i think sr. fozia and i were discussing printing cute things with edible ink for ramadan cookies, this would be even cooler!! chocolate mosques, chocolate crescents, chocolate kabas!!

akhan that just means you have to eat it faster!!  Grin

yep i added a rep for brkhalid Sad how can one not!  ;0
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2011 06:12 PM »

akhan that just means you have to eat it faster!!  Grin
I can't! Sad by the time BrKhalid sends me a box Wink it would've already melted.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2011 06:16 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

yep i added a rep for brkhalid  how can one not!

See there you go, post about chocolate and see your reps go sky high!!

My cunning plan has been uncovered Wink

But is anyone not slightly concerned as to what these university researchers are up to sometimes?

If they can come up with a chocolate printer, who knows what other crazy stuff they may be working on Huh?

LCD screens where you can smell what you see?

Thought control typing eradicating the need for a keyboard?

Edible memory sticks? (Would bring a whole new meaning to all you can eat data!!)

The mind boggles  detective

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2011 08:57 AM »

Salam alaikum

Very cool indeed.  And Br Khalid, maybe you're totally in the worng profession....I would *love* to smell whats going on on the computer screen.  theres something for you to pursue!  Nevermind the amount of $$$ involved, dude, you'd bring happiness to millions!

Love the chocolate printer, where do I queue for one?

Thanks for the lovely post!
Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2011 09:54 AM »

salam

I need to know how this would work, would it print on paper like conventional printers or would there be like an outer nozzle & you send your printout to the printer which would then proceed to print chocolate decorations on whatever you wanted? If the latter you could totally do away with the middle man and just have it print straight into your mouth no?

It's good to see my tax money being used in such a productive manner (I'm not even joking)!

I would be more than happy to test this printer! I'd do it free of charge and everything...!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2011 12:51 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I need to know how this would work, would it print on paper like conventional printers or would there be like an outer nozzle & you send your printout to the printer which would then proceed to print chocolate decorations on whatever you wanted?

From the pictures, it looks like there is just a nozzle and the computer tells the printer what and how much to print in order to get the correct 3D shape.

I would *love* to smell whats going on on the computer screen

I can picture it now, you are watching a documentary online and all of a sudden the camera cuts to a picture of a Hyderabadi biryani being cooked and served to a family in India!!

The gorgeous aroma slowly wafts across the screen; your mouth begins to salivate and you seriously consider raiding the fridge to offset those sudden pangs of hunger bro

I can see how this technology would give you another exemplary reason to switch the TV off during Ramadhan Wink

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2011 03:47 PM »

I would *love* to smell whats going on on the computer screen

I can picture it now, you are watching a documentary online and all of a sudden the camera cuts to a picture of a Hyderabadi biryani being cooked and served to a family in India!!

The gorgeous aroma slowly wafts across the screen; your mouth begins to salivate and you seriously consider raiding the fridge to offset those sudden pangs of hunger bro

I can see how this technology would give you another exemplary reason to switch the TV off during Ramadhan Wink

Dude, with that description, I didnt need the aroma!!!  Cheesy  If there was a fridge, I certainly wouldve raided it by now.  And why did you *have* to go and talk about *hyderabadi* biryani...totally dead here!!  Wink

Slm
S.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2011 04:18 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

And why did you *have* to go and talk about *hyderabadi* biryani...totally dead here!!

I'm passing the buck to Br akhan who's got us all thinking about biryanis from his home town Wink

But at least if we get all the food threads out of the way in Shaban, we should have a relatively peaceful (and hunger free) Ramadhan on the board.  hungry bro bebzi

akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2011 05:59 PM »

I'm passing the buck to Br akhan who's got us all thinking about biryanis from his home town Wink

Be a man! Learn to take the blame for you own mistakes instead of trying to slide away Grin Imagine what poor sis Shahida must've gone through Cheesy

Keeping biryani aside for a moment, the hotel near my house has now started serving middle eastern cuisine as well. Had Kabsa and Maghluba yesterday. It wasn't exactly like you get it in Saudi but yummy nonetheless. I am going to try their Mandi tomorrow. Who wants some? Wink

BrKhalid, I agree that we should get the food threads out of the way but, in Hyderabad you can't escape the smell of Haleem, our Ramadhan specialty Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyderabadi_cuisine
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2011 10:47 PM »

wsalam,

akhan fattening yourself up for ramadan?? :p

the smells idea........ baaad idea... imagine smelling chocolate chip cookies baking or yes ur hyderabadi biryani... that's just gonna make u want to eat everything in the house!!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2011 11:46 PM »

salam

I swear I read about this treatment doctors were doing which entailed smelling chocolate as apparently that stopped people eating it. Apparently smelling chocolate supressed the appetite or something.

I'm going to find the article as I'm not making any sense, even to me!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2011 03:29 AM »

wsalam,

akhan fattening yourself up for ramadan?? :p

the smells idea........ baaad idea... imagine smelling chocolate chip cookies baking or yes ur hyderabadi biryani... that's just gonna make u want to eat everything in the house!!

lol..do you think I am a camel?

by smells, I didn't mean smells at home..during Ramadhan, every single cafe/hotel/restaurant sells Haleem, you don't even have to go looking for the smell, it's usually in the air Wink There must be 20+ haleem outlets within half a kilometer of my house. You guys should come here sometime
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2011 08:17 AM »

Salam all,

Is it me who only thinks that the chocolate printer is a bad idea?
Firstly, these scientists have got too much time on their hands. Why are they researching such drivel? Secondly they seem to have too much funding for idiotic 'experiments'.

I would have thought this money or 'funding' would be put to much better use by looking into the cure for some illness. Allah tells us, there is a cure for absolutely everything. Surely we should be looking into this? Then article goes on to say about even other food stuffs!

Sorry to become all serious, I know this has been put up with a humorous angle. But it's just stupid in my opinion!
There should be more of a purpose to this kind of research.
It's not like the west hasn't got enough chocolate?

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2011 12:16 PM »

salam

sr Cinders, I agree with you that on the grand scheme of things, a chocolate printer is not the greatest or most beneficial invention.

Having said that, I would like to point out that there are many areas of useful research that don't involve medical research.  All the smart phones in use today came into the world as a prototype from a research lab, as all the computers, cars and even planes. 

Xerox, and all the other main printer manufacturers, have large research and development operations.  Some chemistry-based research involves making and perfecting material for paint, pantyhose, swimming suits, carpets, medical masks, gloves,  building supplies and many other things.  Other areas involve making herbicides, insecticides, food dyes/additives, air fresheners.

There is also active and important areas of agricultural research that look into making crops more infection resistant and weather/drought tolerant.

Most research receives seed money/funding from granting agencies which are government based.  But talk to any researcher and they will tell you that that money is not enough to carry out the research in the long run. Researchers tend to focus on projects that can be commercialized so that the end product can be sold and support the research and the people who do the research. 

So back to the chocolate printer. I suspect that the initial innovation/idea was not about making chocolate at all. Rather I think it may have been about a new way to make material without molding.  This is an exciting invention on its own, but for many common people, it is not because it does not affect their daily lives in a significant way.  From a manufacturer's point of view, this new invention may sound exciting and smart, but why should they spend lots of many to change the way they make material.  People in industry usually like the old tried and tested ways and are reluctant or slow to embrace new technology which is usually expensive.  So, and I am guessing here, the researchers seem to have seen an opportunity to make a new application for this "printer" to widen its scope and make a bigger impact.  Who doesn't like chocolate?? If this idea of chocolate printing flies, then these researchers may have "solidified" (pun!) a position for their invention in the market and found a way to continue their research even after government grants dry up. 

So, in all seriousness,  I don't think it is a waste of money at all.  I love chocolate.  I support chocolate research.  Chocolate makes people happy :-) 

take care.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2011 11:30 PM »

Is it me who only thinks that the chocolate printer is a bad idea?

sister it's just you. j/k Smiley seriously if u saw the wack things ppl study/invent and we give our taxes too!! this actually has application in the real world and makes cool stuff and is a very commercially viable project. this may get us out of the recession! ok maybe not but hey i surely think it's a positive step for mankind!!  bebzi
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #18 on: Jul 09, 2011 12:09 AM »

Ok, it's just me....  Cheesy

I totally get why research is very important.

I guess I just thought it was on a parr with silly degrees such as 'Pop music' or something similar! Trust me, this degree exists! Also, I guess on the grand scheme of things, it is a minor... But I guess chocolate makes everyone happy. I had choc biscuits today with my chai.

Maybe, Missy ( meaning moi, Cinders) has forgotten her humorous hat today!  Roll Eyes

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2011 01:33 AM »

Ok, it's just me....  Cheesy

I totally get why research is very important.

I guess I just thought it was on a parr with silly degrees such as 'Pop music' or something similar! Trust me, this degree exists! Also, I guess on the grand scheme of things, it is a minor... But I guess chocolate makes everyone happy. I had choc biscuits today with my chai.

Maybe, Missy ( meaning moi, Cinders) has forgotten her humorous hat today!  Roll Eyes

I guess it was some similar kind of research that led to another invention called Bebzi Wink Imagine life without Bebzi and then think whether this good research or not Smiley
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2011 05:21 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Apparently the 3D printing idea is already being used in ALM (Additive Layer Manufacturing) and the world's first 3D bike has been made by Airbus (picture below)

I wonder what Islamic uses this could have?

Design and make your own tasbihs Huh?

http://www.eads.com/eads/int/en/news/press.8d764849-d439-475b-93b3-3cc9a7d2ba20.08af92a7-2c53-400a-8429-8b135733cbcc.html?queryStr=3d%20printing&pid=1

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: