Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Double, double toil and tazkiyah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: big surprises in the world of Snooker!  (Read 1281 times)
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« on: Jul 12, 2011 08:01 AM »

Assalamu alaykum,

If anyone follows Snooker (or doesn't) this is an interesting read!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11072011/58/pakistan-shock-ireland-snooker-world-cup.html

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2011 09:16 AM »

walaikumassalam

If I had played, then India would've won for sure Tongue

My cousins introduced me to it when I was eight Smiley Long before kickboxing became the love of my life.
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2011 10:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure snooker originated in India. How cool is that?  Smiley Br akhan, you could have taken the title back 'home' where your forefathers introduced the game to the World. Well the British Raj days anyway, if my memory recalls.

akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2011 12:50 PM »

It was British army officers stationed in India who invented it as a variation of billiards and yeah, it was back in the colonial era.
Btw, my forefathers were Arab, they were from the Hejaz province in Saudi. Later on, they moved to Afghanistan and then to India. But, that was generations ago so all the Arab in me has been wiped out long ago Smiley
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2011 05:14 PM »

Bro you have a very similar heritage to me!!  Wink. We are dispersed much wider now!

As for Snooker, it really is a great game! It's just a shame it doesn't get the media attention like football or other sports. I'm really glad that players from the Orient and Asian sub continent are emerging. I might start to watch it again.

I am absolutely rubbish at snooker or pool. I'm lucky if I hit the cue ball!  Grin

akhan
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2011 08:16 PM »

I don't really care whether or not snooker gets the attention it deserves. I just enjoy playing it, although it has been quite a while since I played - blame a hectic college student schedule for it.

Indians are not emerging now. We were on the top for a long time and we're still hovering around the top. Geet Sethi was billiards champion of the world for seven years until Pankaj Advani took over. And Advani has been the youngest snooker and billiards champion ever, plus he has a lot of other accolades to his name. In the future you will see "akhan" on the top Tongue

I am absolutely rubbish at snooker or pool. I'm lucky if I hit the cue ball!  Grin
It was the same with me when I started. Keep practising and you'll pick it up.
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2011 10:17 PM »

Yeh bro, I'm talking about Snooker and not Billiards. So Indians may have been doing well, I wouldn't have known.
I haven't watched snooker for 3 years now, when I last watched it.. It was the Chinese that were doing well.

I have decided I can't play snooker, it's not in my forte. Other things yes, but not snooker!  Wink

akhan
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2011 06:40 AM »

Show me one thing that the Chinese aren't good at Grin
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2011 12:39 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Interestingly enough the world's best Muslim snooker player is a revert called Rory Mcleod.

He made it to the second round of the World Championships this year only to be beaten by the eventual World Champion.

He is currently playing in a snooker tournament in Australia and caused a few headlines because he declined to shake the (female) referee's hand as is the custom before and after a snooker match.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01072011/58/mcleod-amid-handshake-controversy.html

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
akhan
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2011 04:26 PM »

I thought he was awesome for doing that. It reaffirms my opinion that converts/reverts are better muslims than us.
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2011 04:45 PM »

Salam,

I read about Rory McLeod. Probably that very article, as everyone knows I'm a fan of Yahoo news.

I believe that it takes courage to go against the status quo. Interestingly, the Referee in question wasn't too bothered according to her Twitter blog (everybody seems to be on there, including Ref's) but many high profile Snooker players were critical of his actions!

I say good on him for standing up for his Beliefs!

He did play very well too! Shame he didn't win.  Sad

akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2011 05:53 PM »

Yea, the referee said it saved her time Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: