Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramadan start date 2011!  (Read 2533 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 18, 2011 02:07 PM »

Looks like ppl who follow calculation will be starting Aug. 1st!! Not sure what sighting ppl are doing. One mosque here follows calculation, the other sighting, and the other Saudi!!  Cheesy

============================================

"O you who believe, fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint." Qur'an 2:183

The Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) recognizes astronomical calculation as an acceptable Shar'i method for determining the beginning of Lunar months including the months of Ramadan and Shawwal. FCNA uses Makkah al-Mukarram as a conventional point and takes the position that the conjunction must take place before sunset in Makkah and moon must set after sunset in Makkah.

On the basis of this method, the dates of Ramadan and Eidul Fitr for the year 1432 AH are established as follows:

The first of Ramadan will be on Monday, August 1, 2011

Eid ul-Fitr will be on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ramadan 1432 AH:

The Astronomical New Moon is on July 30, 2011 (Saturday) at 18:40 Universal Time (9:40 pm Makkah time). Sunset at Makkah on July 30 is at 7:01 pm local time, while moonset at Makkah is 6:41pm local time (20 minute before sunset). Therefore the following day Sunday, July 31, 2011 is not the 1st day of Ramadan. First day of Ramadan is Monday, August 1, insha'Allah. First Tarawih prayer will be on Sunday night.

Eid ul-Fitr 1432 AH:

The Astronomical New Moon is on August 29, 2011 (Monday) at 3:04 Universal Time (6:04 am Makkah time). On Monday, August 29, sunset at Makkah is 6:40 p.m. local time, while moonset is at 6:44 pm local time. Therefore, first day of Shawwal, i.e., Eid ul-Fitr is Tuesday, August 30, insha'Allah.

The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) follows the calculations of the Fiqh Council of North America www.fiqhcouncil.org (FCNA) to determine the dates of Ramadan and Eid and is excited to share with our community that FCNA has announced this year's dates for both Ramadan and Eid.

May Allah (swt) keep us on the right path, and accept our fasting and prayers. Ameen. For more detailed information, please visit: www.fiqhcouncil.org or www.moonsighting.com

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2011 04:04 PM »

salam

I dunno, there's no mystery left to life anymore. I remember when I were a lass  oldshaykh we'd wait up excitedly waiting for the moon sighting to be announced from our local masjid....& dad would have to come home from maghrib salat till we found out!!! Ah the old days  oldshaykh (I really like this old fella, this is how I would look if I were an emoticon!)

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Cinders
Sis

Reps: 254

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2011 06:13 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

I just have an app on my phone which has the dates for the major Islamic events. So far, it has been spot on with dates.

Also, according to my app.. It's as Sr Jannah says in her post.
Insh'Allah my app will serve me well this year too!

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2011 07:41 PM »

Thankfully, we don't have too much moonfighting. Since a couple of years, states have been differing(before that, all of India used to start and end on the same day) but I think it's a little justified because the country is a bit large and the moon can't be seen in all the states on the same day. FYI, none of the states use calculation, all of them except Kerala, which follows Saudi, go the traditional way of actually sighting it. Let's see if I can get a picture of this year's moon, it'll be a nice addition to my Ramadan diary. Last year, the clouds took over before I could get home from the Masjid.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2011 11:29 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

It seems that Saturday will be the 29th Shaban in Saudi and, as such, the decision on whether to declare another day of Shaban or fast will be taken on Sat night.

If the astronomical calculations are to be believed, there is very little chance of sighting the moon on Sat night so it *appears* Ramadhan starting on Monday 1 August will be the most likely outcome.

As ever Allah knows best.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reps: 388

Dont be sad...

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2011 12:39 PM »

Assalaam alaikum
It seems here in Nigeria, we are living in different world. Moon sightening every year raises controversy and it seems this Ramadan too will not be exception. I pray we will go together with the rest of the Muslim world.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2011 02:06 PM »

I've been hearing August 2nd to be the start date in India. As always, we're a day behind Saudi.

Cinders
Sis

Reps: 254

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2011 07:19 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Just to inform you that in my part of London, UK  we are told by the Masjid that Shaban is a 30 day month & the moon hasn't been sighted today (30th July) Therefore Ramadan will be on 1st August with Teraweeh Jamat will be tomorrow.

Can I also take this opportunity to say
 Ramadan  ukum Mubarak!
Which means: May your Ramadan be blessed, i.e. may your Ramadan be a source of blessing for you in your life.

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reps: 388

Dont be sad...

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011 06:51 PM »

Alhamdulillah. We have started the fasting today, August 1st in Nigeria.

Ramadan Kareem to all of you out there.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: