// Coffee & Walnut cake
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because conscience tells one it is right.”
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee & Walnut cake  (Read 1052 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Jul 19, 2011 10:21 AM »

salam

Okaaay, last recipe before Ramadan; I donated this to our school fete, people really loved it the lady who was running the cake stall said it sold very fast (and they were selling it at £1.50 per slice Shocked )!

My only criticism of this recipe is that it wasn't coffee enough (next time I'm making the coffee stronger), altho the icing did taste of coffee which tasted amazing.

Wassalaam

Ingredients
•for the sponge:
•50g walnut pieces
•225g caster sugar
•225g soft unsalted butter, plus some for greasing
•200g plain flour
•4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (I brewed coffee from gourmet coffee leaves, I don't drink coffee as a rule so that's all I had in the house)
•2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
•1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
•4 eggs
•1–2 x 15ml tablespoons milk

for the buttercream frosting:
•350g icing sugar
•175g soft unsalted butter
•2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 x 15ml
•tablespoon boiling water I also put a splash of double cream in to the whole icing mix
•25g walnut halves, to decorate
•2 x 20cm sandwich tins (or 8 inch tins)

Method
Serves: 8

1.Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2.Butter the 2 sandwich tins and line the base of each with baking parchment.
3.Put the walnut pieces and sugar into a food processor and blitz to a fine nutty powder.
4.Add the 225g butter, flour, 4 teaspoons espresso powder, baking powder, bicarb and eggs and process to a smooth batter.
5.Add the milk, pouring it down the funnel with the motor still running, or just pulsing, to loosen the cake mixture: it should be a soft, dropping consistency, so add more milk if you need to. (If you are making this by hand, bash the nuts to a rubbly powder with a rolling pin and mix with the dry ingredients; then cream the butter and sugar together, and beat in some dry ingredients and eggs alternately and, finally, the milk.) (I blitzed the nuts and sugar in a spice mill, and did everything else by hand)
6.Divide the mixture between the 2 lined tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the sponge has risen and feels springy to the touch.
7.Cool the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, before turning them out onto the rack and peeling off the baking parchment.
8.When the sponges are cool, you can make the buttercream.
9.Pulse the icing sugar in the food processor until it is lump free, then add the butter and process to make a smooth icing.
10.Dissolve the instant espresso powder in 1 tablespoon boiling water and add it while still hot to the processor, pulsing to blend into the buttercream.
11.If you are doing this by hand, sieve the icing sugar and beat it into the butter with a wooden spoon.
12.Then beat in the hot coffee liquid.
13.Place 1 sponge upside down on your cake stand or serving plate.
14.Spread with about half the icing; then place on it the second sponge, right side up (i.e. so the 2 flat sides of the sponges meet in the middle) and cover the top with the remaining icing in a ramshackle swirly pattern.
15.This cake is all about old-fashioned, rustic charm, so don’t worry unduly: however the frosting goes on is fine. similarly, don’t fret about some buttercream oozing out around the middle: that’s what makes it look so inviting.
16.Gently press the walnut halves into the top of the icing all around the edge of the circle about 1cm apart.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2011 11:23 AM »

I plan on trying this, because it looks absolutely delicious, and because I have already tried a couple of your recipes and they turned out yum!
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2011 12:45 PM »

salam

Awww thats so sweet sis. I have to say I only post up recipes which turn out well. I then have to share the indulgence.

I'm making this cake again this evening as I really really want a slice with my evening cup of chai!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2011 10:45 PM »

wsalam,

yummm i just like gazing at pictures like this...good thing we're all not fasting yet Wink  we've had so many guests this summer and we keep going out and eating ice cream!! i need to like not eat anything for the next 6 months  Lips Sealed
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2011 11:43 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

This is one of my favourite cakes. It looks delicious sis! Now you'll have to bake my all time favourite... Carrot cake! Yum.

Sr Jannah indulge in lifes little pleasures I say, especially if it's ice cream or dessert! It does make you feel happy, comes very close to retail therapy.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2011 02:17 AM »

It does make you feel happy, comes very close to retail therapy.

lol i'll take retail therapy!! at least u don't get fat and u get something nice out of it Smiley it's just too hot to exercise over here so definitely dangerous to start making cakes and stuff!! :'(
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2011 10:37 AM »

salam

I'll see if I can find a good carrot cake recipe.

I'm so hungry right now and my stash of cereal bars is all gone Sad

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: