Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Contaminated Zam Zam holy water from Mecca sold in UK  (Read 1151 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« on: May 07, 2011 06:19 PM »

Apparently there's been a number of articles like this over the years, but this is the first time they claim they got samples directly from the zamzam taps. I wonder if someone can buy one of those water home testing kits and can test the zamzam they brought back...

Contaminated Zam Zam holy water from Mecca sold in UK

BBC News

Holy water contaminated with arsenic is being sold to Muslims in London.

Holy drinking water contaminated with arsenic is being sold illegally to Muslims by UK shops, the BBC has found.

Zam Zam water is taken from a well in Mecca and is considered sacred to Muslims, but samples from the source suggested it held dangerous chemicals.

Tourists can bring back small amounts from Saudi Arabia, but it cannot be exported for commercial use.

An undercover researcher found large quantities of bottles being sold in east and south London, and in Luton.

The president of the Association of Public Analysts said he would "certainly would not recommend" drinking it.
'Poisonous' drink

A BBC investigation discovered Zam Zam water was being sold by Muslim bookshops in Wandsworth, south-west London, and Upton Park, east London, as well as in Luton, Bedfordshire.

"The water is poisonous, particularly because of the high levels of arsenic, which is a carcinogen," said Dr Duncan Campbell, president of the Association of Public Analysts.
Pilgrims gathering in Mecca The water has a special significance for many of those who go on pilgrimages to the city of Mecca

"The limits set in drinking water are set there for very good reason.

"Once the water gets above that limit, it's not safe."

Secret recordings captured the vendors describing customers who drank it daily.

"They depend on it, they don't drink anything else," said the owner of an Islamic bookshop in Upton Park.

Last year the Food Standards Agency said people "should consider avoiding" the drink in the UK, which it said came from dubious sources.
'Sensitive matter'

The BBC asked a pilgrim to take samples from taps which were linked to the Zam Zam well and to buy bottles on sale in Mecca, to compare the water on sale illegally with the genuine source.

These showed high levels of nitrate and potentially harmful bacteria, and traces of arsenic at three times the permitted maximum level, just like the illegal water which was purchased in the UK.
A bottle of Zam Zam water Zam Zam water is gathered from a well in Mecca but there is a ban on exporting it from Saudi Arabia

Dr Yunes Ramadan Teinaz, an environmental health officer who has previously warned about Zam Zam water, said it was "a sensitive matter".

"People see this water as a holy water," he added.

"They find it difficult to accept that it is contaminated but the authorities in Saudi Arabia or in the UK must take action," he said.

None of the three shops involved would say why they were selling the water or how they obtained it, but further investigation suggested it had now been removed from their shelves.

The Saudi embassy in London declined to comment on the issue of contamination at the source in Mecca.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011 07:23 PM »

salam

Since when was Zamzam water sold in Makkah, as far as I recall you go along and fill up bottles yourself and take it. Nobody charges you.

If it were poisonous we'd all be dead.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011 11:06 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Well given the numbers who drink ZamZam, there should indeed be plenty of cases.

Who knows though what is being sold under the guise of ZamZam water!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011 04:42 AM »

The Saudi authorities themselves dilute Zamzam with regular water because the demand is more than the supply. This has been going on since the late eighties. Perhaps the arsenic is coming from the diluting water. But, like you guys said, if that was the case we would all be dead Tongue They should find out where those vendors are getting their Zamzam from.

Shahida
Sis

Reps: 477

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011 11:26 AM »

Salam alaikum

This is scary...but Br Akhan...they dilute the zamzam? surely this isnt right?

akhan
Bro

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011 02:24 PM »

Salam alaikum

This is scary...but Br Akhan...they dilute the zamzam? surely this isnt right?

yea they do coz with the ever increasing pilgrims, its very difficult to satisfy the demand..they started doing it sometime in the late eighties(even before I was born Tongue) so I guess none of us have actually tasted the real Zamzam. My dad tried to describe it to me but you don't really get it unless you really taste it Grin
I don't see what's wrong in it.

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011 04:30 PM »

Kingdom rejects BBC claim of Zamzam water contamination

JEDDAH: Saudi authorities have refuted a BBC report claiming that the Zamzam well in Makkah is polluted and that drinking the holy water could cause diseases such as cancer.

Zuhair Nawab, president of Saudi Geological Survey (SGS), denied the allegation and said his organization has taken adequate measures to ensure the safety of Zamzam well and its water.

The BBC said it had asked a pilgrim to take samples from the Zamzam water taps in Makkah and the Zamzam water being sold in bottles to compare them with the water on sale illegally.

“These showed high levels of nitrate and potentially harmful bacteria, and traces of arsenic three times the permitted level, just like the illegal water, which was purchased in the UK,” the BBC said, referring to contaminated holy water sold in some UK shops.

Nawab said his organization has been responsible for monitoring the quality of Zamzam water, which not only concerns Saudi Arabia but the whole Islamic world. “Our experts monitor the condition of Zamzam on a daily basis. Every day we take three samples from the water to carry out tests and studies, which showed that it was not contaminated,” he explained. He said the newly established King Abdullah Zamzam Water Distribution Center in Makkah is equipped with advanced facilities and where bottling takes place in accordance with international standards.

“We apply modern methods for filling bottles after sterilization,” Nawab said.

He said the contamination of the water could have caused while redistributing the water in small bottles by individuals.

Fahd Turkistani, adviser to the Presidency for Meteorology and Environment, said the BBC report focused on bottled water supplied by individuals and not by the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques Affairs. The water supplied by the presidency undergoes close monitoring and ultraviolet rays are applied to kill harmful bacteria, he added.

Turkistani said the Zamzam water contamination could have caused by illegal workers who sell Zamzam water at Makkah gates as they use unsterilized containers. He said the Saudi government has prohibited such illegal sales of Zamzam water.

Meanwhile, a responsible source at the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques Affairs highlighted the measures taken for the protection of Zamzam water saying the water passes through stainless steel pipes to the cooling stations and then to the Grand Mosque.

He said the presidency has given utmost importance for the preservation and distribution of Zamzam water, adding that it is closely monitored around the clock.

According to the World Health Organization, the permitted arsenic rate in natural water is up to 10 microgram per liter. If the rate goes up then the water could be harmful to the kidney and liver and cause cancer. The rate of arsenic in Zamzam water is much less than the amount permitted by the WHO.

Talal Mahjoub, a Saudi, denounced the move to create suspicion about the quality of Zamzam water.

“My family and I have been drinking Zamzam for many years. None of us have suffered any disease as a result of drinking it. If the BBC report was true, Makkans would have suffered many diseases, including cancer, because most of them drink Zamzam.”

The Saudi Embassy in London also issued a statement affirming the purity of Zamzam in Makkah.

“Scientific tests conducted on samples taken from the original source have proved the Zamzam water is good for drinking,” it said, referring to tests conducted on the water at a French laboratory. It said the Kingdom does not export Zamzam water. The King Abdullah Zamzam water complex, which was established in Makkah last September at a cost of SR700 million, can supply 200,000 bottles daily.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article386684.ece

And here's another link to the fake zamzam water sellers in Saudi who mix zamzam with ordinary water.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article388908.ece

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011 05:18 PM »

salam

It does depend entirely on the receptacle the BBC moles used doesn't it?

I doubt very much the BBC gave the individuals sterilised containers to bring the water back in.

Wonder if they tested the actual bottles which held the water for the poisons to eliminate possibility of outside contamination?

I for one am going to continue to drink it when I am in Makkah and Medina.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Shahida
Sis

Reps: 477

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011 08:50 AM »

Salam alaikum

Is it just me, or is anyone else a little perturbed by the fact that they water down the zamzam with normal water? *shocked*.  I know this thread is about the contaminated stuff, but guys, they-water-down-the-zamzam-with-non-zamzam-water-and-call-it-zamzam!!!!  Huh?

You know, the well hasnt dried up for all the time it has been there...since it first sprang up at the feet of Ismaeel a.s.  Why would we think that it would suddenly dry up now?  Whatever happened to a little thing called yaqeen in Allah?  And another interesting thing: do you think the people who made that decision drink watered-down zamzam? me thinks not.

Annoyed.
Salam
S.

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011 09:18 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I think the authorities would say that the Zamzam water is not watered down except by those unscrupulous sellers outside of the Haram.

Allah knows best!!

Of course back in the day, you could go down the steps on the ground floor of the Haram and partake of your Zamzam there.

Of course that did mean that sometimes sisters (including some Madina Members Wink) found themselves in the men's section and vice versa because they weren't really thinking of where they were going after performing Tawaf. bro

Nowadays, zamzam is simply from the water coolers or taps dotted around the Masjid.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011 03:34 PM »

Salam alaikum

Is it just me, or is anyone else a little perturbed by the fact that they water down the zamzam with normal water? *shocked*.  I know this thread is about the contaminated stuff, but guys, they-water-down-the-zamzam-with-non-zamzam-water-and-call-it-zamzam!!!!  Huh?

You know, the well hasnt dried up for all the time it has been there...since it first sprang up at the feet of Ismaeel a.s.  Why would we think that it would suddenly dry up now?  Whatever happened to a little thing called yaqeen in Allah?  And another interesting thing: do you think the people who made that decision drink watered-down zamzam? me thinks not.

Annoyed.
Salam
S.

Suppose the well gives out a 1000 litres a day, but the demand is 5000, what do you do then? That's what's been happening.

AbdulBasir
Bro

Reps: 85

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011 05:06 PM »

Assalamu Alaikum all...

Been ages since I logged on but just came back from Umrah and drank lots of Zamzam, and alhamduillillah I am doing fine Wink

This report reached me as I was in the Haramayn. It is obvious to me that the BBC findings are related to tests on pseudo-Zamzam being sold by unscrupulous people around the world or by people selling Zamzam that they have not stored properly and contaminated themselves unknowingly.  It does not refer to real Zamzam itself coming direcly out of the Haramayn. As already pointed out, it is tested daily by the Saudi authorities and if it were contaminated millions of people would be sick.

So if you're in the Haramayn, drink up! If someone who was just there offers you their Zamzam they brought back, drink up! But if you're walking in a store in downtown London or NYC and someone is selling "Holly ZimZem" water in a plastic container in a half open box, be warned.

As for the dilution of the water, I think most of us who drank Zamzam long ago can definitely tell a difference between then and now, myself included. There is a difference in the taste of the water that has led to speculation that it is being watered down. I personally believe it is being diluted or at least treated, though the authorities would probably never officially admit to this, but they don't admit to a lot of things Wink

congrats on 1000 posts BrKhalid bro

wassalam
AbdulBasir

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011 06:26 PM »

salam

Br, you are too funny Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But if you're walking in a store in downtown London or NYC and someone is selling "Holly ZimZem" water in a plastic container in a half open box, be warned.

Zamzam is well water, has anyone ever tasted water straight from a well?Huh? I'm pretty sure it must undergo some sort of treatment before reaching our cups because it doesn't taste anything like water from a well.....actually I wonder, is there anyone on the board who performed Umrah/hajj say about thirty odd years ago what did it taste like then?

As for the whole contaminated zamzam thing, I agree it's the stuff being sold in shops in Ingerland thats gonna kill you, the water in the actual harram is fine as proven by the fact nobody has dropped dead from drinking it, 'cos you can bet if there had been a single casualty as a direct result from drinking the Zamzam water the western media would have sung about it from the roof tops for an age!

Personally, I wouldn't care a bit if I died drinking zamzam, I can think of worse ways to go!

Wassalaam

akhan
Bro

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011 10:51 PM »

Well water tastes almost the same as Zamzam, except that it kinda tastes heavier than Zamzam. My uncle used to live outside the city where there were no water pipelines and stuff so he had a well in his house. Pity he moved back to the city, I loved going to his house, total peace Smiley

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011 11:09 PM »

wsalam,

abdulbasir welcome back! ur posts are as rare as an abu khaled sighting nowadays!  Grin

Zamzam has always had a specific taste to me. It's almost a very heavy minerally taste. It doesn't taste like filtered water or any type of regular water to me.  But apparently groundwater contaminated with arsenic is not rare and they had a huge outbreak in Bangladesh recently. So I do hope they are monitoring it and doing something about it...

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011 12:39 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Surely my eyes were deceiving me, was that really Br Abdul Basir posting? bro

But then again, it is the Road to Makkah forum Wink

Good to see you on and interesting perspective on this dilution debate.

I wonder how long ago this UV treatment was introduced and what impact it has on the water?

Sounds like a good excuse to go on Umrah though, on the grounds of 'researching' this story bro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: