// Memorable train journeys?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Education: The Prophet said: 'Seeking knowledge is a religious obligation for every Muslim (male or female).' (Sunan Ibn Mâjah, Sunan Al-Bayhaqî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorable train journeys?  (Read 4943 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: May 16, 2011 09:15 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So with our own Br akhan having recently embarked on a train journey around India I saw the article below and wondered if we fly too much nowadays when we should really be thinking about taking the train?

Does anyone have any memorable train journeys they can recall (good or bad) or any recommendations?

Needless to say I have many memorable London Underground journeys but not sure they would make on to this list Wink

Eastern and Oriental Express

Journey between Bangkok and Singapore

Danube Express

Istanbul through Eastern Europe and ending in Poland

The Maharaja's Express

Start and ends in New Delhi and takes in places such as Agra and Jaipur

El Expreso de la Robla

Bilbao to Leon in Spain

Blue Train

Journey between Pretoria and Cape Town in South Africa.

Does sound much nicer than driving!!

Venice Simplon Orient Express

Ahh the classic for all Agatha Christie fans!! bro

Venice to London

Polar Express

Stockholm to Lapland and the Arctic Circle

The Royal Scotsman

Tours Scotland its moors and lochs

Bernina Express

Switzerland to Italy via the Alps.

This one does sound pretty amazing, perhaps you'd get to see the Von Trapp children on the way as well? bro

The Canadian

Toronto to Vancouver taking in the Lakes and the Rockies.

Another spectacular ride I would have guessed!!

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/get-the-inside-track-on-luxury-with-the-10-best-rail-journeys?pageCount=0

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011 09:47 AM »

salam

Does the Orient Express actually still run? I thought it was just a (uber expensive) tourist attraction now?

Train journeys just sound so uncomfortable, the carriages aren't as spacious as they are portrayed on TV showing vintage shows. Otherwise I might agree that it might be a better way to travel than plane. But I'd rather get from A to B as quickly and painlessly as possible & trains are not painless!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011 11:21 AM »

I've done the TGV from Geneva to Paris twice - once as an adult with my dad and bhabi. It was really scenic, extremely comfortable and very convenient.

I've done a train ride from Islamabad to Lahore also. It was very... Umm... Interesting. I went with cousins, so in that way we had a lot of fun. The ride TO Lahore was actually pretty good. The ride back was horrific. We caught the wrong train so we stopped at every stop. It was an old train that shook like anything... We were so jostled that it took a while after the train stopped for us to regain the feel of being on solid ground. It was memorable, but in the worst way possible Smiley. They served fried chicken which thankfully one of saw being marinated in the bathroom sink. Appetizing yum. 

I love the idea of a train though. 
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 12:05 PM »

Well well well, so now I've started making people think about me Smiley
Indian train journeys are really an experience. I went with a group of 60 other students/friends so it was like we owned the whole bogie. But if you were alone, you'd have to deal with a hell lot of weird things, like, people on your neighbouring bunk farting all the time in their sleep, eunuchs who get on at almost every station and ask for money, a million people trying to sell you stuff and charging ten times the amount,...etc...etc...etc. It would've been an ordeal for me if I were alone, but since I was with a huge group we turned every weird moment into something humorous. It was my first train journey and I'd say I won't take a second, plane works better for me in all ways, it's almost free and I usually get priority service Smiley

PS - My Dad's contract got extended for another year,Alhamdulilah(that means another year of airline perks and a couple more Saudi trips..yipeee!!!) Wink JazakAllah to everyone who made Dua for him Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 07:52 PM »

Trains are cool!

I've been on that one from Delhi to Agra when my Abba and I went to see the Taj Mahal (not much else to see in Agra I think).

Also, on Amtrak from Portland to Seattle once - yeah, it's local and close to home, but if any of you know, the Pacific Northwest region the US is VERY scenic - though I'm probably biased  Grin

That is all.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 10:37 PM »

Trains are cool!

I've been on that one from Delhi to Agra when my Abba and I went to see the Taj Mahal (not much else to see in Agra I think).

Also, on Amtrak from Portland to Seattle once - yeah, it's local and close to home, but if any of you know, the Pacific Northwest region the US is VERY scenic - though I'm probably biased  Grin

That is all.

BABA
 desibro

C'mon dude, Delhi to Agra is just three hours, it'll be over in a flash. If you're to experience something solid, it has to be at least a day long journey. Hyd-Del was 27 hours
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011 11:58 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

But I'd rather get from A to B as quickly and painlessly as possible & trains are not painless!

I think many would agree but which is worse, sleeping overnight in a cramped cabin or sleeping overnight in your plane seat?

They served fried chicken which thankfully one of saw being marinated in the bathroom sink. Appetizing yum.

puke

I'm sure Colonel Sanders would not approve!!

..a million people trying to sell you stuff and charging ten times the amount..

Good to know Egypt has some healthy competition then Wink

Also, on Amtrak from Portland to Seattle once - yeah, it's local and close to home, but if any of you know, the Pacific Northwest region the US is VERY scenic - though I'm probably biased

I was quite surprised there were no train journeys through America on that original list. Obviously Amtrak don't do enough international advertising!!

As for some of mine:

Cairo to Alexandria is a memorable one as you meander your way through the Nile Delta.

There are also some wonderfully quaint steam railways in the UK which really transport you back to a bygone era; just perfect for a lazy summer day. bro

PS Is this deja vue or am I submitting my 1000th post again?

What happened there Huh?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011 01:05 PM »

salam

Aha, you're assuming I travel cattle class.......

I've a friend who hates plane travel and loves london and errr lives in the states, friend is very tall and hates hates hates plane travel.

But I'm titchy

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011 03:19 PM »

Salaam,
I havent traveled much on train but one memorable journey was Rome to Pompeii, Italy. It was my first real train ride above ground and not the Path Train to NJ or the NYC subways. Smiley An aside, we stopped off in Naples en route to Pompeii.. Some shady guy got into our train car and he was packing 'heat'....'gun'. I wondered at the time if he was part of some underground mafia/gang....perhaps.

It was scenic as we saw a little bit of Sorrento and the sea! Also the train ride from Rome to Florence was also very nice:)....ahh Good times.

Peace
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011 08:47 PM »

Sorry akhan bhaya, I haven't done much train traveling, was just offereing up what I had. Some of us aren't as fortunate as the others in this regard.  Smiley

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011 02:29 PM »

Salam all, as mentioned in the chat.. I've been on loads of train journeys!
• Hammamet -----> Tunis (Tunisia)
• Glasgow --------> London on Flying Scotsman (slept in a real bed in a cabin,  known as sleeper train)
• Porto -----------> Algarve (Portugal) Interesting with a capital I. My camera & Sony Walkman got stolen hmmm
• Sylhet ----------> Dhaka (Bangladesh) Lots of sellers like akhan mentions. People on top of the train on the roof oh & professional beggars
• Lyon ------------> Clermont Ferrand (France)

Loads of trips within UK. Hey I go next week Up North. I go first class. Wait til us Commoners join the posh folk!

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011 03:13 AM »

There is a tranquility in travel by train. For me, two stand out as memorable ones.

1. Between Milan (Milano) and Turin (Torino), Italy in the summer of 1999 with my boys and sister. First leg was at night, so not much to see but met a fellow passenger of my origin who was visiting from Spain. Tales were shared. The return trip was spectacular as it was day time and we saw a lot of beautiful Italy!

2. Between Alkamaar and Amsterdam, Netherlands in the summer of 2002, with my boys, sister and her husband. Holland or Netherlands, is land of beauty too, with its windmills, dikes and canals. Its breathtaking.

I am not discounting the New York and Toronto subways and the London tube. But they are noisy and sometimes overcrowded.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011 05:30 AM »

Salaam

I had a journey around 4 Indian states of Delhi, UP, Punjab and Rajasthan in jan 2010! And I have to agree that it is indeed an experience worth the effort. I made some creative use of the trip as well  Wink

http://gulfnews.com/life-style/general/we-like-mujeeb-jaihoon-s-twitter-achievement-1.808573

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011 11:04 AM »

salam

I am not discounting the New York and Toronto subways and the London tube. But they are noisy and sometimes overcrowded.

Sr Halima, the only memorable London tube journey I have ever had was the one I fainted on and ended up at A&E.....

I doubt any sane person will be remotely offended that the english tube has not been included as a memorable and appealing way to travel!

I wouldnt do it but its a necessity.

Wassalaam

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011 11:18 AM »

salam

Sr Halima, the only memorable London tube journey I have ever had was the one I fainted on and ended up at A&E.....

I doubt any sane person will be remotely offended that the english tube has not been included as a memorable and appealing way to travel!

Wassalaam

Salam alaikum

haha sr Fozia!  We always get excited to go on subway train/undergrouds...we dont have them here, you see...Smiley

BTW, we were advised against travelling by train in India (neighbours had bad experiences with the trains from Mumbai to Sindh (sp?)).  Glad everyone else enjoyed them!

I liked the train journey from Germany to Paris in 2003, I got to see snow and the beautiful french countryside.  I think a train journey through eastern europe must be spectacular!  And you guys just made me want to do one through Italy someday, inshaAllah.

Theres a famous luxury train called the blue train, which used to run here in SA, covering the most beautiful and picturesque parts of the country. I wonder if it still runs?

Happy train journeys everyone
Salam
Shahida
akhan
Bro

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011 02:48 PM »

Sr Shahida, you have very caring and responsible neighbours Smiley Trains in India are indeed an ordeal
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #16 on: Jun 01, 2011 09:06 PM »

salam

LOL, Sis Fozia!

Wassalaam

Absolutely!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2011 09:22 AM »

wsalam,

Hmm all those train lines sound like they could be great Agatha Christie novels!! Death on the Maharaja Express, the Mystery of the Royal Scotsman! Cheesy

I was trying to think of any train journey's I took... I think as akhan mentioned the train in India was kinda horrible. The heat, the crowds, the luggage carriers trying to rip you off and/or steal your luggage. Yeah, not good. I think we even one day tried to take the train but the crowds were pushing and stampeding and we thought we'd get crushed so just escaped out and left! Other than that we did Cairo to Alex like brkhalid which was semi nice, we saw a lot of the countryside of Egypt. Also there's NYC to upstate NY that has a beautiful view of the Hudson river all the way up on your right side. Quite lovely around maghrib time! Trains are definitely more comfortable than airplanes or cars and you can do more things on a train, so perhaps we should look for more scenic train routes? Where else have ppl gone?
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2011 11:08 AM »

Salam alaikum

I can't think why I would've forgotten my most memorable train journey...duh. Wink It really was spectacular:

There is a train in Peru, which takes you from Cusco to Macchu Picchu, through the Urubamba valley, the sacred valley of the Incas.  If you go, you *have* to take the train (alternate is road, train is much better).  the scenary as you pass by the rural Peruvian countryside, then the train follows the meanderings of the river, then suddenly you pass through a pass in between high cliffs... oh breathtaking, mashaAllah!!!

I have to loko for some pics!
Salam
Shahida
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2011 11:35 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The Peruvian mountains do sound like they would be an amazing sight by train.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a train journey running through the Himalayas?

Has anyone been to Katmandu out of interest or hiked their way around there?

On the topic of mountains, I found the following YouTube clip below showing a ride on the new Makkah monorail from Hajj last year.

Imagine getting on a train and the announcer saying, 'Next stop: Arafat'  Shocked

Inside Makkah Metro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: