Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Free Ramadan?  (Read 1683 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reps: 172

« on: Jul 17, 2011 01:23 PM »

Salaam..

I know some of you guys have managed a TV-free Ramadan before... as have I.. but I've never managed it with kids (in 50 degree weather, there is a component of their day which is occupied with TV - yes, even the little one   Sad )...

Any ideas of how to keep kids occupied during Ramadan without any TV? I have half a heart to send my daughter to summer school 3x a week just so we can keep the TV off.  I want to start being TV free during Ramadan, but I want to continue it afterwards as well... so all suggestions are welcome. Bear in mind, we cannot go out during the day because everything is closed, and all outdoor activities are extremely difficult because it's intensely hot.

Also, any pointers on how to introduce the concept of Ramadan to a 2.5 year old?

Wasalaam.

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2011 05:23 PM »

I don't know if this would go down well with most people but, if you want a TV free house then just throw it out. I was a TV buff as a kid but for a while now, I've quit completely and found time to do lots of other things that I couldn't do earlier. It's always nice to have a TV free schedule. My house still has a TV because there are other people who watch it (my sisters love those stupid saas bahu serials). Otherwise, if I could, I would've thrown it out a long time ago Tongue

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2791

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2011 06:41 PM »

wsalam,

How about some arts & crafts type things? They can make lanterns or color pictures with Ramadan themes. Or even help you cook like cookies or desserts. How old are these kids again??! Summer school might actually be good it'll be hard for you to fast and keep the kids occupied all the time. Not having an outdoors area is going to be tough too. I say let them have 4 hour naps in the middle of the day and keep them up at night Wink

akhan
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2011 08:55 PM »

I say let them have 4 hour naps in the middle of the day and keep them up at night Wink

That's a pretty good idea considering the fact that life in Saudi during Ramadan is pretty nocturnal.

Cinders
Sis

Reps: 254

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2011 09:04 PM »

Salam, 

I agree with both the above posts. Erm, I posted something similar on another post. Anyway, I don't know where you're based.. But IF it has to be tv, are there Islamic channels that you could put on? 

As I'm seriously trying to prepare for Ramadan even with the kids, I'm trying to spend time reading stories from the Qu'ran, teach duahs & surahs. As my son is 5yrs, everytime he learns a new surah I let him post some money in his savings box as a reward & to encourage saving. I've told him & his 2yr old sis that however much they save (rewards for being good as well) will go towards their Eid presents. I even let them show me things they may want for Eid, & Insh'Allah they'll save enough for everything they do want! Alhamdulillah, my son has understood this essence of saving and has even said he wants to give some of his hard earned cash for charity, Subhanallah! 
Also, it may require more effort.. But like Sr Jannah says, why not do crafts like maybe even make the family Eid cards. Even if you're not creative yourself, you can buy these packs which essentially have everything in them to make up the card! Trust me kids love love sticking things down with a bit of glue, & glitter is like wow! Super wow! 

Try taking the kids out (although I appreciate this maybe difficult whilst fasting) but take them to a park or something. 
I think Summer school is a great idea. I've enrolled my son onto a class at the local masjid for improving recitation & Hifz, which lasts from 1st August -25th August, practically the whole of Ramadan. My friend's local Masjid has activities nearly everyday for two weeks such as trips etc.. 

Oh as for sleeping during the day, I echo it completely. As it's school holidays, I am going to take my 5yr old & 2 yr old to Teraweeh Salah at the Masjid. I'm going to take a pillow & blanket in hand hoping they'll be so tired that they'll fall asleep at the Masjid and then sleep late in the morning instead of waking up at the crack of dawn. Smiley
These are just some suggestions. 

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)

morningdew
Sis

Reps: 4

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2011 03:55 AM »

http://www.muslimkidstv.com/

You might find some ideas of other things to do here.

Tv is just like everything else. It has to be monitored.

Take it slow and disallow tv a little at a time. Explain the importance of education to the kids. Make study time a priority over tv.

And be sure and explain to them how wasting time is not allowed by our God and some tv is wasting time. A little that is clean and good can be ok.  What is educational can be ok.  Kids can understand.

Inshallah you can use Ramadan to explain the importance of controlling our wants. This can be done and Allah will be pleased with us. 

This brings back memories of when my children were little.

Sadiyah
Sis

Reps: 1

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2011 08:08 AM »

Salaam,

The only time of the year that I actually watch TV is in Ramadan.  Lips Sealed We have this thing called IslamBox and during Ramadan we get all these great islamic programs, lectures, Quran recitations and what not...

With my siblings last ramadan I had them do some crafts, ramadan journals, and we had story telling every other night. There's also an annual Quran competition that goes on every Ramadan in our city, so they were busy with that too. They would also help out with iftaar sometimes as well...

If you're a creative artsy person, you can find a lot of Islamic crafts and ramadan activities to do...  Wink

JustOne
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2011 08:25 PM »

Some great ideas guys... Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I did find a template of a Ramadan lantern online as well as some other great craft ideas... definitely plan on using them with my daughter.

They're actually quite young (10 months and 2.5 years), so a lot of the explanatory stuff unfortunately will not work. And their age is also the key reason why I don't want to disrupt their schedule too much. I know Saudi is TOTALLY nocturnal during the Holy Month, which is why this is so challenging - I can't take them to the playground or the pool until 6ish (which is peak iftaar time) because of the heat, and ALL the malls are closed until maghrib (so weird... I've been here 3 years, and I'm still not used to it)... but if I turn them into nocturnal creatures, I'm pretty sure I'll have an extremely challenging Ramadan - not to mention the after effects for September  Roll Eyes I don't mind tweaking it a little bit, but I don't want them up until 4 am (like last Ramadan when my son was born - my daughter drove me completely batty until he was born, and then afterwards he took over where she left off  Cheesy )...

BTW, I can't throw the TV out, my husband is a GEO/Dawn fanatic, but I have gotten rid of the extra channels that we had, alhamdulillah.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2011 05:13 AM »

Are you in Riyadh? Because in Jeddah, everything's open day in and day out but there's nobody in the malls during the day..very very convenient!

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2011 12:58 PM »

salam

OK, I dont have a TV in my house full stop.

My parents on the other hand have a mahooosive one, however during ramadan the cover it with a sheet and tell the kids it's not working. amazingly the kids have never pressed for further detail, as I have filled the house with toys.

In my house we have a toy room where all the toys are kept, as my girls have gotten older they have sorted the room so one corner is dedicated to all things dolly, ie castles, horses, leafy bowers, prams, cots,the million and one princess and abaya clad dollies etc, one corner is crafts, so plasticine, paints, pens, pencils knitting and weaving kits, and one side has giant plastic boxes with board games, also one whole wall is dedicated to books, I've split the books out according to reading level so both girls can easily get to books they can read (actually my little sister did!).

The rule is at the end of the day everything is put back in its place, or I chuck it! and the toys don't go in any other room (the latter rule is often bent...)

The toys have obviously changed as the girls have grown older, but this was roughly what I had to begin with.

As it happens because of this my girls are able to entertain themselves really well...or perhaps the fact that I utterly neglect them means they got bored and occupy themselves with the toys....

It doesn't seem to bother them that we dont have a TV, altho we do watch programmes on the computer ocassionally, but mostly they entertain themselves.

My point I think is, throw a sheet over the TV, tell them TV is asleep and put all their toys together and leave them to it, you may be surprised. I personally cannot do the hands on entertaining kids continuously thing that most amazing mamas can!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

JustOne
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2011 10:46 AM »

Fozia - I tried the sheet thing yesterday - the day actually went perfectly fine, alhamdulillah. 

akhan - I'm in Riyadh, and I think you're right, certain malls are open all day, but most open after asr during Ramadan.  Are you guys in Jeddah??

akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2011 11:54 AM »

akhan - I'm in Riyadh, and I think you're right, certain malls are open all day, but most open after asr during Ramadan.  Are you guys in Jeddah??
I used to live in Jeddah but had to move back to Hyderabad, my Dad still works there and I keep visiting whenever I can, usually twice a year.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2011 03:46 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

If the kids are really young, how about Islamic DVDs or nature type documentaries?

It may be a compromise of some sort but could be useful given the length of the fasting day?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: