Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 17, 2014 07:50 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the Andalucian notion of Convivencia  (Read 869 times)
Samuel ibn Yaacob
Madina Seeker

Reputation Power: 0
Samuel ibn Yaacob has no influence :(

Exile is an emotion that can't easily be expressed

« on: Jul 30, 2011 10:45 PM »

Al-Andalus represents a golden period in the history of the world, when the greatest religions; Islam, Judaism and Christianity were able live together in convivencia. Given the time in which we live in and the conflicts that have shaped our own epoch, we need to revisit and understand the importance of what al-Andalus can teach us and what we can appropriate from it so that we can implement the idea of it, into the human dialectic.

We arrive at truth when we see the whole picture. When we consider all the alternatives. So far, outside of the paradigm of peace, the relationships between monolithic religions has yielded bloodshed and animosity.  I look forward to the time when swords will be turned into plowshares, when war will exist no more.  The fact that this period existed for a short while in the Iberian peninsula, has been a reminder to me that it can happen again.  Do we really have to wait on Allah for this time, or is Allah waiting on us for this time to be dispensed?

What did this time of peace between our fellow humans yield? It produced the greatest outpouring of literature, poetry and musical innovation that has not been paralleled since. Architecture, navigation, mathematics...disciplines that are still studied today are results of men putting down their swords and taking up their pens. Its as if Allah Himself, blessed be He, let us see for a brief moment what it is like to have complete سلام‎  and to experience that to its fullest, as a reminder that we can taste of heaven on Earth.

The harmony of mutual interaction and productivity should serve as a model to us, a reminder that we can achieve the impossible, the unimaginable, because our ancestors in Andalucía under the banner of Islam with the respect of others religions, were able to reach great heights for humanity's sake.

When I reminisce of Andalucía , I think of these wondrous things. A time when Islam was humanistic, accepting of difference and most of all productive. Visitors were so taken back by its wonders, that they were envious of  the many Andalusian splendors, but most of all its convivencia that facilitated it. That was truly the Andalusian innovation, the belief that man can live in peace with his fellow. that the morality of religious thought can be truly experienced not as," a one world order", where everyone has to conform to one belief, but rather as a complex mechanism where everyone serves God as they seem fit, as their customs dictate. Respecting culture and individuality, race and religion for the better of the whole.

Truth beckons its children, listen to me and
 I will answer you on the day that you call. It is infinitely easier to destroy than to build.
The fool says in his heart, what is it that they have built? It does not please me, I will tear it down.
The wise man says in his heart, My Allah blessed be He, grant me the strength to build his holy community.

الحقيقة يومئ أبنائها، والاستماع لي و
  سأجيب عليك في اليوم الذي تقوم بالاتصال. فمن أسهل بمراحل من تدمير للبناء.
والجاهل في قلبه ، ما الذي بنوا؟ فإنه لا يرجى لي ، وأنا تمزيقه.
الرجل الحكيم يقول في قلبه، بلدي الله تبارك، تمنحني القوة لبناء مجتمعه المقدسة.

This is what al-Andalus is really about, convivencia i.e., mutual respect, intellectual innovation and living with the fear of God, as people of God in action not words. May Allah allow this to be our future, so be it soon, Ameen!

Samuel ibn Ya'acob

Samuel ibn Ya'acob
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2011 05:25 AM »

beautiful brother, simply beautiful!

I look forward to the time when swords will be turned into plowshares, when war will exist no more.

indeed!

A time when Islam was humanistic, accepting of difference and most of all productive.

I hope we can return to this once again. Come full circle.

Ameen.

Samuel ibn Yaacob
Madina Seeker

Reputation Power: 0
Samuel ibn Yaacob has no influence :(

Exile is an emotion that can't easily be expressed

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2011 05:57 AM »

Thank you Jannah,

I find it important to understand our past so that we can chart our future. History has shown that fools tear down the literati first, as conflicting ideas bring shame to their actions. This is what we must war against, intolerance and ignorance.

السلام عليكم

Samuel ibn Ya'acob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: